View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 2:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 First Red Wings Game 
NFL Team Captain

Post First Red Wings Game
I have been a Wings fan since Abel, Delveccio and Howe were household names. I used to listen to games at night from the Olympia with an old transistor radio that my grandfather had given me hidden under my pillow so my rectum of a stepfather would not not hear.

Last night I had the privelidge to visit the Joe and see my first Wings game in person. It was a fantastic experience. The Wings beat Vancouver in a shootout. Great crowd, great fun and a win. What a first time experience.

It also left me with a couple of questions.

A few days ago I saw Barry Melrose on ESPN asking why there were empy seats at the Joe. I think I might have a few answers for him.

First of all we paid $44.00 for tickets that were 3 rows from the ceiling. You could not even read the players names. Still a good time.

Beers---$8.25 each (still better than Commerica Park). A large slice of pepperoni pizza----$4.00, even though a large pepperoni costs $5.00 at an outlet. They had knit stocking hats for $20.00. The craziest thing of all was a Steve Yzerman game worn jersey that hat some record significance priced at ( hold onto your package ) $15,000.00.

With Michigan leading the nation in unemployment, it's no wonder there were some empty seats even though they looked to be in the season ticket areas.

Don't get me wrong, I had a wounderful time, but unless the econemy tacks a turn for the good or they can find a way to lower prices, there will continue to have empty seats. Which is a terrible things, cause I think every hockey loving fan in Michigan should be able to have the same great time I was able to have. I just wish I could have it more often.

Trust me, I know it is the same for all pro sports teams, I just wish there was away for everyone to be able to enjoy what I did. Not whinning, just wish there was a simple solution. :cry: :cry: :cry:

January 18th, 2008, 10:19 pm
What's crazy is, if you get much closer than where you sat the ticket price goes up significantly...

I've seen 3 game packages advertised with prices that aren't too bad, and I've seen "family deals" (4 tickets, for hot dogs, four pops) for around $40 per seat, but you are right, the Joe is expensive. I only go when I get free tickets. I am thinking about buying a small season package so I can get first dibs on play-off seats though.

January 19th, 2008, 12:57 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I used to go to the Joe a lot in the mid 90's when the tickets were something like $20, but stopped once the ticket prices got out of control. Now, like wjb, I only go if I can get free tickets which I managed to do earlier this season.

January 19th, 2008, 4:04 pm
Varsity Captain

To go to wings games now you really have to know some one and get free tickets, otherwise its just too much money. But i went to a game about a month ago for the first time years and it was so much fun. Hockey doesnt really translate well over tv, but when you go to a game thats when it really comes alive. I had even forgotten about the troughs to intimidate opposing fans. The Joe really needs to upgrade.

January 20th, 2008, 2:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]