View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2014, 4:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Lewis Out-Babcock In? 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Lewis Out-Babcock In?
http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings/albom8e_20050708.htm

July 8th, 2005, 10:45 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I think they should've fired Lewis for the same reasons that Albom mentions after the first year. The players would never play for the good guy, they need to be intimidated like Scotty did. I'd like to see Babcock come in and instill some more fear and dicipline

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 8th, 2005, 11:24 am

They haven't had the fire in the playoffs recently. That sweep was just humiliating, and they weren't even nervous until game 4, if I remember correctly.

July 8th, 2005, 11:26 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

"I have had conversations with Mike Babcock and his adviser over the past week," Holland said. "He is not hired. I expect to have further conversations with him and/or his adviser. I have other people in mind that I have not talked to."

The 42-year-old Babcock led the Ducks to the Stanley Cup finals two years ago during his first season in Anaheim. They didn't make the playoffs in 2003-04, and last season was canceled because of the lockout. The Ducks were 69-76-19 in two years under Babcock.

Before being hired as the Ducks' coach by Murray, who then was the Anaheim GM, Babcock coached at Cincinnati of the AHL, an affiliate of both Anaheim and Detroit. He guided the team to the playoffs both his years there, and to a franchise-high 41 wins and 95 points in 2000-01.

Could this pave the way for Sergei to come back to Detroit???

Quote:
Ducks general manager Brian Burke said Thursday he hadn't been contacted by Detroit, and although Babcock's contract had expired, he would regard Babcock's hiring by the Red Wings as a "shocking breach of etiquette."

What breach of etiquette???? WTF is he talking about???

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 8th, 2005, 11:55 am

Could this pave the way for Sergei to come back to Detroit???

I'm not sure how I would feel about that. I guess I could bring out my 91 jersey that I stuffed behind my dresser.

TheRealWags wrote:
What breach of etiquette???? WTF is he talking about???

I don't know. What a stuffed fish. They have no claim to him.

July 8th, 2005, 12:19 pm
Profile WWW

Apparently this guy likes to whine anyway.

http://www.freep.com/sports/redwings/wings-box18e_20050708.htm

Quote:
Brian Burke (below) has taken another potshot at the Wings.

In the 2002 playoffs, Burke, as Vancouver's general manager, accused the Wings of diving, clutching and grabbing, and getting preferential treatment from the referees.

On Thursday, Burke, Anaheim's new general manager, questioned the Wings' front-office ethics.

"I have not heard from Detroit.," Burke said in a conference call with reporters. "And if in fact they have gone ahead and hired Mike Babcock without the courtesy of a phone call, I would be shocked. I would regard that as a shocking breach of etiquette."

Although Burke acknowledged there was "no tampering issue" if a team had talked with Babcock -- after all, his contract expired June 30 -- Burke said it would come down to doing the right thing: "You'd make that call I guess."

In 2002, Burke told the media:

?Dan Cloutier of the Canucks was "the goaltender on the ice that does not dive when he gets brushed."

?"Todd Bertuzzi does not play for Detroit. It just looks like that because he is wearing two or three red sweaters all the time."

?"We pay the same dues to the National Hockey League that Detroit pays, and even though we're just a little Canadian team, we deserve a level playing field."

By GEORGE SIPPLE

July 8th, 2005, 2:35 pm
Profile WWW

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3756982

Quote:
Report: Babcock going to Wings
FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 hours ago

This time, the rumors appear to be true.

According to a report from TSN.ca, Mike Babcock will coach the Detroit Red Wings.
Babcock, who turned down a one-year extention from new Anaheim GM Brian Burke to remain coach of the Mighty Ducks last week, reportedly agreed to a multi-year contract with the Red Wings, but no formal announcement was expected until next week.

The delay in the announcement, according to TSN, could be because the Red Wings want to wait until the Major League Baseball All-Star Game is cleared out of Detroit.

Just as Babcock was turning down the Mighty Ducks offer, the Red Wings decided not to renew the contract of coach Dave Lewis.

Sources told TSN that Babcock was talking to other clubs before agreeing to coach the Red Wings.

The 42-year-old Babcock led the Mighty Ducks to the Stanley Cup finals two years ago during his first season in Anaheim, losing to the New Jersey Devils. They didn't make the playoffs in 2003-04, and last season was canceled because of the NHL lockout.

July 12th, 2005, 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I think we're getting a good, firey coach in Babcock. I remember the way his Ducks just rolled over our beloved Wings in the playoffs. Go Wings!!!! Its Stanley Cup time again (well, almost :D )

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 13th, 2005, 9:15 am
RIP Killer

It's finally official, the Wings are having a press conference tomorrow to announce this.

July 14th, 2005, 9:52 am
Modmin Dude

It's finally official, the Wings are having a press conference tomorrow to announce this.
SWEET!!! headbang.gif

Joe Fauria, MVP!

July 14th, 2005, 10:05 am

I can't wait for the first game. Its gonna feel awesome to see the wings again.

headbang.gif

July 14th, 2005, 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]