View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 11:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Doesn't look good 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Doesn't look good
http://www.detnews.com/2005/wings/0508/23/D04-289639.htm

Quote:
No deal seems in sight for Datsyuk

If Wings, forward can't agree, he would lace up his skates for the Moscow Dynamo.

By Ted Kulfan / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- The Red Wings don't appear to be getting any closer in negotiations with forward Pavel Datsyuk.

Gary Greenstin, Datsyuk's agent, said Monday the sides continue to talk but an agreement isn't in sight.

"It's up to Ken Holland (Wings general manager) and myself to work on this and come to some sort of an agreement," Greenstin said. "It's a slow process. We're going to continue to work. As we've said, Pavel's first priority is to remain with the Wings."

Holland was in a charity golf tournament Monday and unavailable for comment.

Datsyuk is working out with the Moscow Dynamo team for which he played last season during the NHL lockout.

He scored for Dynamo in a tournament game in Finland last weekend.

"A beautiful, highlight goal from what people told me," Greenstin said.

Dynamo needs a commitment from Datsyuk by Sept. 1, Greenstin said, the date for all European contracts to be registered.

Greenstin said he has told Dynamo that Datsyuk prefers to play with the Wings. But if an agreement isn't reached, he would return to Dynamo.

"I expect we're going to need to decide something next week," Greenstin said.

He also said he expects to travel to Moscow this week to discuss options with Datsyuk.

Datsyuk is one of three unsigned restricted free agents the Wings are trying to sign. The others are forward Henrik Zetterberg and defenseman Niklas Kronwall.

The Wings have 18 players signed for roughly $31 million. The NHL salary cap is $39 million.

Besides the three unsigned players, the Wings would like to add one, preferably a defenseman.

Golf for a good cause

Goalie Manny Legace will hold a charity golf outing Monday at Meadowbrook Country Club in Northville. All proceeds will go toward finding a cure for breast cancer, a disease that has touched the Legace family.

Legace's mother and a close family friend have fought breast cancer.

"This (the golf outing) is something that I've wanted to do for some time," Legace said, "and everything has worked out."

Kirk Maltby, Chris Osgood, Jason Williams and Darryl Bootland are among the Wings scheduled to participate.

Legace said fans are welcome to attend. There will be autograph opportunities, and donations will be accepted.

Ice chips

The Wings signed forward Valtteri Filppula to a three-year contract over the weekend. He was their third-round pick in 2002. Last season, he tied for fourth in Finnish League scoring with 30 points (10 goals) in 55 games.

Filpulla is likely to start the season at Grand Rapids.

...The Wings are still negotiating with goalie Jimmy Howard, their second-round pick out of Maine in 2003.

... Wings rookies and minor-leaguers begin prospects camp in Traverse City on Sept. 5 with a noon practice

August 23rd, 2005, 10:42 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

We might end up trading him for someone like St. Louis or Hossa, although we are close to capped out.

August 23rd, 2005, 11:36 am
Modmin Dude

Speaking of being almost capped out, I wonder how long it will take for these GMs to learn how they can be creative with the contracts to allow for bigger money, but less cap space hit.

August 23rd, 2005, 11:50 am
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Interesting question, but as I understand it the rules are not exactly like the NFLs. The other thing is that contracts could not be renegotiated to project the cap hit forward. Lidstrom's contract is killing us, but in the NFL system his hit would be advanced forward. This might change next year, however, if he could sign a backloaded deal. Whether they can play with the bonuses and options like they do in the NFL, I do not know.

August 23rd, 2005, 12:02 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

YORICK....PUT YOUR ADOPTED PLAYER IN YOUR SIGNATURE!! SERIOUSLY!! IT'LL LET EVERYONE KNOW WHO YOU ADOPTED!! TAKE PRIDE IN HIM!!

August 23rd, 2005, 12:34 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]