View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 2:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Stevie bows out of Olympics 
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Post Stevie bows out of Olympics
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051207/SPORTS0103/512070418

In a word, class.

Quote:
Yzerman bows out of Olympics

Wings captain, who played in '98 and '02, tells Gretzky he isn't worthy of roster spot.

Ted Kulfan / The Detroit News
DETROIT ? Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman won?t play for Canada at the Torino, Italy, Winter Olympics in February.

Yzerman telephoned Wayne Gretzky, Team Canada?s general manager, earlier in the week and revealed his decision.

?I talked to Wayne the other night,? Yzerman told the Sportsnet network in Canada, ?and told him I didn?t feel I was playing well enough to hold one of 13 spots. I?m very grateful for past opportunities representing my country, but there are too many good players playing well for me to hold a spot.?

Gretzky had said he would reserve roster spots for Yzerman and Pittsburgh Penguins forward Mario Lemieux, who are 40-year-old future Hall of Famerswho?ve starred on previous Canadian teams.

Lemieux, also, has been rumored to be calling Gretzky soon and possibly giving up his spot.

Talking Tuesday after the Wings? 5-2 victory over New Jersey, a game in which he got his fourth goal of the season, Yzerman said it was time to let new blood enter the Canadian national program.

?It?s not something I just woke up and decided,? said Yzerman, who was an important member of the 2002 Canadian Olympic gold medalists and also played in 1998. ?I would have loved to play in the Olympics again. But over the course of three months (of playing in the regular season), I believe it?s time for me to step aside.?

Yzerman said it was important to give Gretzky and the rest of the Canadian selection committee time to construct a roster with a deadline looming this month.

?I felt it was the appropriate thing to do. I?ve known for quite a while what I felt was the right thing,? Yzerman said.

December 7th, 2005, 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Post Re: Stevie bows out of Olympics
bsand2053 wrote:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051207/SPORTS0103/512070418

In a word, class.

Quote:
Yzerman bows out of Olympics

Wings captain, who played in '98 and '02, tells Gretzky he isn't worthy of roster spot.

Ted Kulfan / The Detroit News
DETROIT ? Red Wings captain Steve Yzerman won?t play for Canada at the Torino, Italy, Winter Olympics in February.

Yzerman telephoned Wayne Gretzky, Team Canada?s general manager, earlier in the week and revealed his decision.

?I talked to Wayne the other night,? Yzerman told the Sportsnet network in Canada, ?and told him I didn?t feel I was playing well enough to hold one of 13 spots. I?m very grateful for past opportunities representing my country, but there are too many good players playing well for me to hold a spot.?

Gretzky had said he would reserve roster spots for Yzerman and Pittsburgh Penguins forward Mario Lemieux, who are 40-year-old future Hall of Famerswho?ve starred on previous Canadian teams.

Lemieux, also, has been rumored to be calling Gretzky soon and possibly giving up his spot.

Talking Tuesday after the Wings? 5-2 victory over New Jersey, a game in which he got his fourth goal of the season, Yzerman said it was time to let new blood enter the Canadian national program.

?It?s not something I just woke up and decided,? said Yzerman, who was an important member of the 2002 Canadian Olympic gold medalists and also played in 1998. ?I would have loved to play in the Olympics again. But over the course of three months (of playing in the regular season), I believe it?s time for me to step aside.?

Yzerman said it was important to give Gretzky and the rest of the Canadian selection committee time to construct a roster with a deadline looming this month.

?I felt it was the appropriate thing to do. I?ve known for quite a while what I felt was the right thing,? Yzerman said.

Very classy move. But I have to add that Yzerman is still a damn good player. If nothing else he should allow Gretzky to keep him on as an alternate if someone gets hurt. I realize that there probably are 9 forwards that have a canadia nationality in the NHL that are better than Yzerman, but he's tough to pass on, especially when games count.

December 7th, 2005, 11:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]