View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2014, 9:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Well, its damn near official now 
Modmin Dude

Post Well, its damn near official now
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6892613/

Quote:
?Without a change in position by the union, the season will be canceled,? Daly said. ?There will be no further contact with the union before the season is canceled unless they reach out to us.?
Quote:
?We?re not going to pick up the phone this weekend,? union senior director Ted Saskin said after the four-hour meeting. ?We?re done.?
Quote:
If the season is canceled, there is no telling when there will be NHL hockey again
Quote:
Despite Bettman's declaration for a weekend deadline, not everyone is convinced that it's true.

According to the Los Angeles Times, NHL executives have calculated they need to have a general agreement by Tuesday and start the season around Feb. 25. The players, however, believe there should be a week or more left before last-ditch negotiating is required, the Toronto Star reported. According to the newspaper, the players think the league likely would be willing to settle for a 30-game season, one that wouldn't have to start until about March 1.

Or maybe not????

Joe Fauria, MVP!

February 11th, 2005, 10:31 am
All State

i'm giving up on the hockey season at this point. even if they pull out a miracle and start the season i am so feed up with the whole thing that i probably won't watch anyway.

February 11th, 2005, 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

I could say the same thing, Spidey, but I know that I will just have to watch the Red Wings skate towards another Stanley. Just can't seem to pass that by these days.

Now if they cancel the season, I may not be so willing to return next year. I think it a lot will depend on how they handle the negotiations after cancelling the season. :evil:

Joe Fauria, MVP!

February 11th, 2005, 11:54 am
QB Coach

That's pretty much been my only omen. Michigan hockey, I mean, it's the only winter sport we can actually beat State in.

February 13th, 2005, 1:25 am
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

NHL and Players' Association Meet With Federal Mediators in Washington, But No Progress Made

NEW YORK (AP) - No progress was reported Sunday by the NHL or the players' association after the sides met with federal mediators in Washington just hours before a weekend deadline to save the season.

The meeting that lasted just over five hours was arranged Friday at the request of a high-ranking federal mediator. Neither commissioner Gary Bettman nor players' association executive director Bob Goodenow attended.

Instead, NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly was joined by outside counsel Bob Batterman, with players' association senior director Ted Saskin and outside counsel John McCambridge on the other side.

"There was no progress to report as a result of this meeting, and in fairness to the process it would serve no purpose to comment further," Saskin said in a statement.

The sides were assisted by mediators twice before - as recently as a Feb. 2 negotiating session in Newark, N.J. Sunday's meeting was requested by Scot B. Beckenbaugh, the acting director of the U.S. Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service.

It wasn't clear if this get-together would extend the commissioner's deadline. Bettman said a new collective bargaining agreement had to be in place by Sunday for there to be a shortened season.

"No progress in the collective bargaining process resulted from the meeting," Daly said. "We have no further comment."

Neither side thought mediation would help end the stalemate that has lasted five months.

"This isn't a negotiation that failed due to a lack of understanding," Daly said on Thursday. "This is a negotiation that has failed for other reasons. I don't think a mediator would help in this process."

After two days of talks broke off Thursday in Toronto, Saskin also didn't see mediation as the way to reach a settlement.

"That's not something we've given a lot of consideration to, and certainly the NHL has made clear from Day 1 that they're not interested in any form of mediation - binding or nonbinding," he said. "If the NHL came forward and said they wanted to do binding mediation, then we'd have to do the analysis and have the discussion."

Earlier Sunday, neither side seemed willing to budge or come together again to work on a deal.

"Our position hasn't changed," a players' association spokesman said.

"We will not be reaching out to them," Daly said.

The lockout reached its 151st day Sunday, when the league was supposed to hold its All-Star game in Atlanta. So far, 824 of the 1,230 regular-season games have been lost and the remainder of the schedule seems close to being wiped out.

Bettman said a deal needed to be down to the writing stages by Sunday so the NHL could hold a 28-game season and a regular 16-team playoff.

The NHL said its 30 clubs need to know what their costs would be, and the only way that could be achieved was with a salary cap that linked league revenues to player costs.

A cap was an automatic deal-breaker for the union even though it agreed that the financial landscape had to change. The players' association contended that there are many other ways to fix it.

The sides have traded proposals throughout the lockout that started on Sept. 16. But the owners haven't come off their salary-cap demands, and the players haven't relented on their declaration that they won't accept that solution.

Other issues such as arbitration, revenue-sharing, and rookie caps, haven't gotten to the true negotiating stage because the sides couldn't tackle the big issue that seems likely to doom the season.

On Friday, the NHL sent a memo to its 30 clubs, allowing them to contact players - something that was previously forbidden. The memo also allowed team executives to speak publicly about the lockout without being subject to significant fines.

February 14th, 2005, 2:45 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

NHL and Players' Association Meet With Federal Mediators in Washington, But No Progress Made

NEW YORK (AP) - No progress was reported Sunday by the NHL or the players' association after the sides met with federal mediators in Washington just hours before a weekend deadline to save the season.

The meeting that lasted just over five hours was arranged Friday at the request of a high-ranking federal mediator. Neither commissioner Gary Bettman nor players' association executive director Bob Goodenow attended.

Instead, NHL chief legal officer Bill Daly was joined by outside counsel Bob Batterman, with players' association senior director Ted Saskin and outside counsel John McCambridge on the other side.

"There was no progress to report as a result of this meeting, and in fairness to the process it would serve no purpose to comment further," Saskin said in a statement.

The sides were assisted by mediators twice before - as recently as a Feb. 2 negotiating session in Newark, N.J. Sunday's meeting was requested by Scot B. Beckenbaugh, the acting director of the U.S. Federal Mediation & Conciliation Service.

It wasn't clear if this get-together would extend the commissioner's deadline. Bettman said a new collective bargaining agreement had to be in place by Sunday for there to be a shortened season.

"No progress in the collective bargaining process resulted from the meeting," Daly said. "We have no further comment."

Neither side thought mediation would help end the stalemate that has lasted five months.

"This isn't a negotiation that failed due to a lack of understanding," Daly said on Thursday. "This is a negotiation that has failed for other reasons. I don't think a mediator would help in this process."

After two days of talks broke off Thursday in Toronto, Saskin also didn't see mediation as the way to reach a settlement.

"That's not something we've given a lot of consideration to, and certainly the NHL has made clear from Day 1 that they're not interested in any form of mediation - binding or nonbinding," he said. "If the NHL came forward and said they wanted to do binding mediation, then we'd have to do the analysis and have the discussion."

Earlier Sunday, neither side seemed willing to budge or come together again to work on a deal.

"Our position hasn't changed," a players' association spokesman said.

"We will not be reaching out to them," Daly said.

The lockout reached its 151st day Sunday, when the league was supposed to hold its All-Star game in Atlanta. So far, 824 of the 1,230 regular-season games have been lost and the remainder of the schedule seems close to being wiped out.

Bettman said a deal needed to be down to the writing stages by Sunday so the NHL could hold a 28-game season and a regular 16-team playoff.

The NHL said its 30 clubs need to know what their costs would be, and the only way that could be achieved was with a salary cap that linked league revenues to player costs.

A cap was an automatic deal-breaker for the union even though it agreed that the financial landscape had to change. The players' association contended that there are many other ways to fix it.

The sides have traded proposals throughout the lockout that started on Sept. 16. But the owners haven't come off their salary-cap demands, and the players haven't relented on their declaration that they won't accept that solution.

Other issues such as arbitration, revenue-sharing, and rookie caps, haven't gotten to the true negotiating stage because the sides couldn't tackle the big issue that seems likely to doom the season.

On Friday, the NHL sent a memo to its 30 clubs, allowing them to contact players - something that was previously forbidden. The memo also allowed team executives to speak publicly about the lockout without being subject to significant fines.

February 14th, 2005, 2:46 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Post Season still on brink despite late concessions
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6892613/

Quote:
The NHL offered to remove its demand that there be a link between league revenues and player costs, a ?significant move in the players? direction? the union said in a statement early Tuesday morning.

But when the players offered to accept a cap at $52 million ? the first time they came off their opposition to a ceiling on salaries ? the offer was rejected by the NHL. The league insisted on a salary cap that topped out at $40 million per team.

Quote:
Even while negotiations were going on, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman had already planned to cancel the remaining games, a source close to the negotiations said on condition of anonymity. Bettman was slated to speak at a news conference Wednesday in New York, but the NHL declined to give details beyond the time and location.

Is it me, or does it seem like Bettman and the Owners want to take the year off??? Something seems a little fishy to me here......

Joe Fauria, MVP!

February 15th, 2005, 9:53 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Why didn't they jump on the cap offer?????? It seems to me that they were never serious about trying to save the season.

February 15th, 2005, 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude

Why didn't they jump on the cap offer?????? It seems to me that they were never serious about trying to save the season.

That what I was thinking. I really don't like or trust Bettman, he's got something up his sleeve....

Joe Fauria, MVP!

February 15th, 2005, 3:37 pm
Pop Warner Vet

That something is that they see the players as starting to get desperate so he is going to milk em for all he can I reckon.

February 15th, 2005, 3:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]