View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 20th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bruins tap Lewis as coach 
Modmin Dude

Post Bruins tap Lewis as coach
Quote:
BOSTON -- Former Detroit Red Wings coach Dave Lewis was hired as coach of the Boston Bruins, an official within the NHL said Wednesday.

The official spoke to the Associated Press on the condition of anonymity because the Bruins had not yet made an announcement.

The Bruins fired Mike Sullivan on Tuesday after his second season as coach, ending weeks of speculation. The Bruins under Sullivan, who had one year left on his contract, finished last in the Northeast Division last season after coming in first the previous season.

The Bruins said Wednesday they would hold a news conference today to introduce their new coach, although the team did not disclose his name. Incoming general manager Peter Chiarelli did not return a telephone call or e-mail seeking comment.

Messages left with Lewis on Wednesday were not immediately returned.

Lewis, who retired from a nearly 15-season NHL career on Nov. 6, 1987, spent two decades with the Red Wings. He segued from assistant coach in charge of the defense to head coach in 2002, taking over after the legendary Scotty Bowman retired.

Lewis' stint at the helm will be remembered for how he guided the Wings to incredible regular-season success, but also for falling short in the playoffs. In 2003 the Wings were upset in the first round by Anaheim, and the 2003-04 Wings captured the Presidents' Trophy with 109 points only to fall in the second round to Calgary.

The Red Wings eventually decided Lewis' many years as an assistant hampered his ability to succeed in the more demanding role of head coach. The team replaced him with Mike Babcock, and offered him a scouting position, which Lewis eventually accepted.

The addition of Lewis continues an off-season overhaul that includes last month's hiring of Chiarelli, who succeeded Mike O'Connell, who was fired March 25.

Chiarelli and the Bruins' front office have been slowed during the reconstruction because Chiarelli remains an assistant general manager of Ottawa until July 15 under terms of the deal worked out to bring him from the Senators.

Chiarelli and Lewis have a major challenge to rebuild the Bruins, although Lewis is known as a motivator, a skill that could help a young team.

Last season, the Bruins traded their two most dynamic offensive players, Joe Thornton and Sergei Samsonov. And last week traded defenseman Nick Boynton and goaltender Andrew Raycroft.

Boston obtained offensive defenseman Paul Mara from Phoenix Monday for Boynton.

The Bruins also added outstanding center Phil Kessel from the University of Minnesota with the fifth pick of the draft.

The Bruins are picking up players who are suited to the faster game that emphasizes skating after the NHL instituted rules changes after the lockout wiped out the 2004-05 season.

Free Press sports writer Helene St. James contributed to this report.

Good luck Dave!!!! Thanks for the memories

June 30th, 2006, 11:02 am

June 30th, 2006, 12:09 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Lewis sux

I wouldn't say that, but he still ranks high on the suck-o-meter. :D

July 1st, 2006, 12:21 am
Modmin Dude

He gave us almost 20 years and we won 3 Stanley Cups with him. He's not a bad guy, he was just the wrong coach for the Wings. He stepped into an impossible job IMO. I wish him luck in Boston, I hope he is able to help Boston get back on track, they are an Original 6 after all.

July 1st, 2006, 3:05 am
He gave us almost 20 years and we won 3 Stanley Cups with him. He's not a bad guy, he was just the wrong coach for the Wings. He stepped into an impossible job IMO. I wish him luck in Boston, I hope he is able to help Boston get back on track, they are an Original 6 after all.

My longer take on Lewis... Great guy, good assistant, horrible coach... He doesn't have the personality for it... He reminds me a lot of A-Tram...

July 1st, 2006, 3:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]