View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Wings lose Bertuzzi, Calder, and Lang 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Post Wings lose Bertuzzi, Calder, and Lang
I don't care about Lang and Calder because Holland said that he wasn't going to re-sign them, but I was hoping that they could have kept Bertuzzi. However, $4M per season is probably more than what Holland was willing to pay for him. This is from the Detroit News:
Quote:
Bertuzzi heading to Ducks

Other ex-Wings on move: Lang to Blackhawks, Calder to Kings.

Ted Kulfan / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- There was another hectic day in NHL free agency Monday, but it didn't involve the Red Wings.

Former Red Wings, though, made all sorts of news.

Forwards Todd Bertuzzi, Robert Lang and Kyle Calder, unrestricted free agents who played with the Wings last season, signed with other teams.

Of the three, the Wings had hoped to bring back Bertuzzi.

But he signed a two-year contract with the defending Stanley Cup champion Anaheim Ducks, who a day earlier signed former Wings defenseman Mathieu Schneider.

After losing Schneider, the Wings signed defenseman Brian Rafalski from New Jersey.

Along with Bertuzzi, Lang signed with the Blackhawks and Calder with the Kings. All signed two-year contracts. Bertuzzi will get $8 million; other terms weren't available.

Wings general manager Ken Holland, who was unavailable for comment Monday, informed Lang and Calder before the NHL draft in late June the Wings would not bring them back.

But Bertuzzi, whom the Wings acquired at the trade deadline for prospects and draft picks, was in the Wings' plans. He had had back surgery early last season while with the Panthers.

When he returned, Bertuzzi wound up playing 15 regular-season games for the Wings, scoring 11 points (three goals, eight assists).

Bertuzzi had seven points (three goals) in 16 playoff games. He was hindered by a concussion and tailbone injury during the playoffs.

Bertuzzi, 32, will be reunited with Ducks general manager Brian Burke, who was the GM in Vancouver during Bertuzzi's best seasons.

"It's pretty special for a winning team to find room to fit me in and to have the opportunity to play," Bertuzzi told the Associated Press.

The Wings will see an awful lot (eight games) of Lang, who signed with the division-rival Blackhawks.

Dale Tallon, Blackhawks general manager, said Lang provides Chicago with veteran experience, power-play savvy and ability to play with wing Martin Havlat.

Lang, 36, had 52 points (19 goals) in 81 games with the Red Wings last season.

In the playoffs, Lang had eight points (two goals) in 18 games. Because his ice time was down from previous seasons, Lang wasn't interested in returning.

Calder was another trade-deadline acquisition, from Philadelphia in a three-team trade with the Wings that sent Jason Williams to Chicago. He had 35 points (14 goals) in 78 games with the Flyers and Wings.

But after a good regular season, Calder, 28, didn't do as well in the playoffs. In 13 postseason games, he had one assist.

Wings coach Mike Babcock made Calder a healthy scratch through most of the Western Conference finals against Anaheim.

Holland has yet to conclude a one-year contract with goalie Dominik Hasek, 42, the Wings' most important unrestricted free agent.

Hasek isn't interested in playing for any other team. He and the Wings are close to a deal but still are haggling over base pay dependent on how far away the Wings are from the salary-cap ceiling.

July 3rd, 2007, 10:31 am
The Ducks are on a Frickin' TEAR... I liked Bertuzzi, but I wouldn't have paid him that kind of scratch either. I'm glad they let him go for that price. I liked Calder and was hoping to see him back, but oh well I guess... All I know is... We better sign at least 2-3 players if we're going to be competitive next year.

July 3rd, 2007, 1:20 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

well he sure brought it home against the Wings tonight.. one score and one assist..

October 3rd, 2007, 10:24 pm
Lost Bertuzzi, won the game... I'll take it!

October 4th, 2007, 12:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]