View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 18th, 2017, 6:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Phil Jackson To Help Pistons find a New Coach 
National Champion

Post Re: Phil Jackson To Help Pistons find a New Coach
How I see it, Mo was hired first and foremost to work with the guards. Next most important is helping this team win, which Gores probably knows isn't likely.

Let's be real, we're not going anywhere near the Finals until 2015 at least. This move can't really hurt.

July 1st, 2013, 12:41 pm
Towel Boy

rao wrote:
ESPN wrote:
Jackson to aid friend Gores, Pistons
Updated: May 3, 2013, 1:12 AM ET
By Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne | ESPN.com

Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores announced Thursday night that Phil Jackson has agreed to serve in an advisory capacity during the team's search for a coach.

But one source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Jackson's willingness to counsel Gores and Pistons president Joe Dumars as they weigh candidates to replace the ousted Lawrence Frank is an unpaid consultancy stemming from Jackson's friendship with Gores and "does not foreclose any options" with regard to the 11-time championship coach's intentions to find a new full-time NBA management job.

ESPN.com reported earlier this week that the Toronto Raptors have ramped up their pursuit of Jackson to run their basketball operations under new Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment CEO Tim Leiweke, another longtime Jackson associate from their days working together in Los Angeles. Jackson, meanwhile, told the San Francisco Chronicle in a recent interview that "three or four teams" have already expressed interest in him and that "none of it involves coaching."

Jackson's arrangement with the Pistons, according to sources, is an "act of friendship." Former New York Knicks and Utah Jazz executive Dave Checketts previously served as a Pistons adviser to Gores without officially joining team management.

The Pistons, in a story on the team's website announcing Jackson's willingness to help, described the move as an "advisory role" designed "not (for Jackson) to assume a formal position inside the Pistons' organization."

"Phil Jackson is a friend and one of the best minds in the business," Gores said. "We are thrilled to have him as an adviser as we make some very important decisions for this franchise. Joe (Dumars) and I discussed this and he and I are in full agreement that this is a great opportunity."

Gores spokesman Mark Barnhill told Pistons.com: "Phil Jackson and Tom Gores are friends. Based on that relationship, Phil has agreed to provide advice and counsel on the coaching search and immediate basketball needs. He will be in Detroit next week as a resource to Joe Dumars, who is leading the search. Phil's role is to advise Joe, Tom and the ownership team, not to assume a formal position inside the Pistons organization."

Thus far, the Pistons are known to have interviewed former Seattle SuperSonics and Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan and Phoenix Suns interim coach Lindsey Hunter for their coaching vacancy.

ESPN.com reported Monday night that the Raptors, emboldened by the news that the Sacramento Kings apparently won't be moving to Seattle, have intensified their attempts to woo Jackson, having regarded the Seattle group that was trying to buy the Kings as the biggest threat to preventing him from seriously considering Leiweke's pitch.
transfers CDGhttp://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9237654/phil-jackson-help-detroit-pistons-find-next-head-coach

I don't pay much attention to the NBA, but it seemed interesting that they decided to get some outside help and not just let Dumars make the decision.

Ok, it's a good initiative

July 15th, 2017, 1:50 am
Team President - Rod Wood

Can they Can Stan Van now that Phil Jacksons proven himself to be worthless in this type of role

July 17th, 2017, 10:00 pm
William Clay Ford Sr.

The Legend wrote:
Can they Can Stan Van now that Phil Jacksons proven himself to be worthless in this type of role

Man, I hope they get rid of Stan (who needs to play defense) Van Blunder.

I want Bill Laimbeer to be the Pistons next coach. He has proven to be a good HC in the WNBA. So, he has more experience than a lot of 1st time NBA HCs.

July 18th, 2017, 8:29 am
Team President - Rod Wood

BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:

Man, I hope they get rid of Stan (who needs to play defense) Van Blunder.

I want Bill Laimbeer to be the Pistons next coach. He has proven to be a good HC in the WNBA. So, he has more experience than a lot of 1st time NBA HCs.

i dont see why not

July 22nd, 2017, 2:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2