View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 27th, 2014, 6:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Pistons Draft Results 
RIP Killer

Post Pistons Draft Results
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/062708/spo_20080627248.shtml

Quote:
Pistons trade down into second round

Swap with Seattle nets extra pick, along with their target, UAB's Sharpe

By DANA GAURUDER
Of The Oakland Press

AUBURN HILLS - Walter Sharpe has not played very often in recent years. The Pistons believe he will make up for lost time in the NBA.
Advertisement

The Pistons traded out of the first round of the draft Thursday night but they still got an intriguing, if troubled, player in the 6-foot-9, 245-pound Sharpe.

They were going to choose Sharpe at No. 29 overall before a call from Seattle three minutes before their pick was due changed their strategy. They received two second-round picks from the Sonics but still got Sharpe, who played at Alabama-Birmingham last season, with the first of them at No. 32 overall.

The Sonics received Indiana senior power forward D.J. White. The Pistons also drafted 6-11 BYU forward Trent Plaisted at No. 46 overall with the other pick they received from Seattle and 6-6 Virginia Tech swingman Deron Washington with their own pick at No. 59.

Plaisted and Washington were taken after they agreed to play in Europe next season. Sharpe will remain with the big club with the hope he can develop into a rotation player at small forward.

"When you're picking that late in the first round or early second round, you try to find talent that shouldn't be there," president of basketball operations Joe Dumars said. "He's real, real talented."

By trading out of the first round, the Pistons are not locked into guaranteed salary slots.

But they were prepared to take Sharpe in the first round anyway.

"There were a couple of teams that were feverishly trying to move up to get him," Dumars said. "This is not just an automatic D-League guy."

Sharpe was not only a surprise, but has many red flags attached to his resume. He only appeared in 18 games for two colleges over the past four seasons.

Sharpe played 12 games for UAB, averaging 14.2 points and 6.8 rebounds, before he was declared academically ineligible for the spring semester. His best game was a 26-point, 17-rebound outing against Rhode Island in November.

Sharpe was diagnosed with narcolepsy, which led to his academic issues. Prior to the season, he was one of five UAB players arrested by Birmingham, Ala., police for disorderly conduct at a dance club.

"We spent the entire week talking to more people in Alabama than I care to call right now," Dumars said. "We've done an extensive background check on him and we feel very, very comfortable with who he is and what he is."

After completing high school in 2004, Sharpe committed to Mississippi Sate but didn't play his first year. He missed a team flight and served suspensions for being late to meetings and practices. He played six games in 2005-06 there before he was dismissed from the team.

He had to sit out another year after transferring. Prior to playing for UAB, he also suffered a minor gunshot wound to his left abdomen in Birmingham, Ala.

But Dumars believes that Sharpe will not be a problem child at the next level.

"Some of his early issues, they didn't know what was going on, they didn't understand what was happening with him," Dumars said. "They thought it was just a kid not being responsible. He just got diagnosed at UAB five months ago.

"He's taking medication for it now and has not had trouble ever since. I don't want to put all of it on that - he was probably young and immature at some point - but just finding out what was wrong, he said it's changed his entire life."

Seattle and the Pistons are natural trading partners because of a front office connection. Scott Perry left the Pistons organization last year to become the Sonics' assistant general manager, then returned late last season to become Joe Dumars' vice president of basketball operations. That job opened up when Dumars' former deputy, John Hammond, was named the Milwaukee Bucks' general manager.

What you all think? Trade back for 2 second rounders?

June 27th, 2008, 8:08 am
Trade back in the NBA definitely isn't the same as in the NFL... 2 round NBA draft players don't usually amount to much... I realize there are occasional bright spots and exceptions, but generally they are bench players or role players at best...

That said, I more or less see the trade back as either a non-issue, or money saver... By picking Sharpe three spots later we likely saved a little bit of money, but the two second rounders, to me, are more or less meaningless... I would have rather we picked up two European players and parked them in the dev. league, but perhaps these guys will pan out... I like the Euro guys because they are generally good shooters... It seems to me that our college players go over there and almost clown around... Play with more flash around players that aren't as talented as the competition they're used to... Perhaps I'm wrong, or perhaps "our" guys won't do that... Who knows???

IMO it would have been better if we could have traded two second rounders for a future conditional first rounder... Even if it was conditioned that it would be below a 20th pick when most of the talent is gone... I would just like to start packaging our picks and moving up every year so we can finally land someone that will actually PLAY... Our team is so deep that talent that can make it elsewhere gets cut here... Why bother taking them if you're just going to sit 'em or cut 'em???

June 27th, 2008, 8:56 am
RIP Killer

Trade back in the NBA definitely isn't the same as in the NFL... 2 round NBA draft players don't usually amount to much... I realize there are occasional bright spots and exceptions, but generally they are bench players or role players at best...

That said, I more or less see the trade back as either a non-issue, or money saver... By picking Sharpe three spots later we likely saved a little bit of money, but the two second rounders, to me, are more or less meaningless... I would have rather we picked up two European players and parked them in the dev. league, but perhaps these guys will pan out... I like the Euro guys because they are generally good shooters... It seems to me that our college players go over there and almost clown around... Play with more flash around players that aren't as talented as the competition they're used to... Perhaps I'm wrong, or perhaps "our" guys won't do that... Who knows???

IMO it would have been better if we could have traded two second rounders for a future conditional first rounder... Even if it was conditioned that it would be below a 20th pick when most of the talent is gone... I would just like to start packaging our picks and moving up every year so we can finally land someone that will actually PLAY... Our team is so deep that talent that can make it elsewhere gets cut here... Why bother taking them if you're just going to sit 'em or cut 'em???

So we can pick another Darko? Lol, just messn' I agree.

June 27th, 2008, 10:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]