View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2014, 7:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Phil Jackson To Help Pistons find a New Coach 
1st Round Pick

Post Phil Jackson To Help Pistons find a New Coach
ESPN wrote:
Jackson to aid friend Gores, Pistons
Updated: May 3, 2013, 1:12 AM ET
By Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne | ESPN.com

Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores announced Thursday night that Phil Jackson has agreed to serve in an advisory capacity during the team's search for a coach.

But one source close to the situation told ESPN.com that Jackson's willingness to counsel Gores and Pistons president Joe Dumars as they weigh candidates to replace the ousted Lawrence Frank is an unpaid consultancy stemming from Jackson's friendship with Gores and "does not foreclose any options" with regard to the 11-time championship coach's intentions to find a new full-time NBA management job.

ESPN.com reported earlier this week that the Toronto Raptors have ramped up their pursuit of Jackson to run their basketball operations under new Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment CEO Tim Leiweke, another longtime Jackson associate from their days working together in Los Angeles. Jackson, meanwhile, told the San Francisco Chronicle in a recent interview that "three or four teams" have already expressed interest in him and that "none of it involves coaching."

Jackson's arrangement with the Pistons, according to sources, is an "act of friendship." Former New York Knicks and Utah Jazz executive Dave Checketts previously served as a Pistons adviser to Gores without officially joining team management.

The Pistons, in a story on the team's website announcing Jackson's willingness to help, described the move as an "advisory role" designed "not (for Jackson) to assume a formal position inside the Pistons' organization."

"Phil Jackson is a friend and one of the best minds in the business," Gores said. "We are thrilled to have him as an adviser as we make some very important decisions for this franchise. Joe (Dumars) and I discussed this and he and I are in full agreement that this is a great opportunity."

Gores spokesman Mark Barnhill told Pistons.com: "Phil Jackson and Tom Gores are friends. Based on that relationship, Phil has agreed to provide advice and counsel on the coaching search and immediate basketball needs. He will be in Detroit next week as a resource to Joe Dumars, who is leading the search. Phil's role is to advise Joe, Tom and the ownership team, not to assume a formal position inside the Pistons organization."

Thus far, the Pistons are known to have interviewed former Seattle SuperSonics and Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan and Phoenix Suns interim coach Lindsey Hunter for their coaching vacancy.

ESPN.com reported Monday night that the Raptors, emboldened by the news that the Sacramento Kings apparently won't be moving to Seattle, have intensified their attempts to woo Jackson, having regarded the Seattle group that was trying to buy the Kings as the biggest threat to preventing him from seriously considering Leiweke's pitch.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9237654/phil-jackson-help-detroit-pistons-find-next-head-coach

I don't pay much attention to the NBA, but it seemed interesting that they decided to get some outside help and not just let Dumars make the decision.

May 3rd, 2013, 1:48 pm
Position Coach

Post Re: Phil Jackson To Help Pistons find a New Coach
He needs to also find us a new GM

June 27th, 2013, 9:26 pm
IMO Dumars is gone if this kid doesn't pan out... I think he made a huge mistake in the draft today. He seems to always "over think" the draft and take someone from a small school that has "good measurables" and they never really turn into anything...

IMO Joe sucks as a GM and I've been saying that since he re-signed Billups forever ago.

June 28th, 2013, 12:19 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

IMO.. Dumars screwed the pooch by not taking Burke.. a true PG the team needs.

NEVER GIVE UP!

June 28th, 2013, 8:03 am
LionsFan4Life wrote:

I love Burke but IMO Burke is too "shoot first" and maybe even to "me first" to be a great NBA PG.

He may be the best player taken from his draft (weak draft class), but idk if he'll ever win a championship. All that being said... I would have preferred Burke to have been the pick.

June 28th, 2013, 9:03 am
Butkus Award Winner

I think this all came from trusting BK. Let's be real here, what other backcourt has two guards 6'3 or under? We'd get wrecked on defense as Knight still hasn't developed well as a defender and have the smallest backcourt in the league.

I don't love the pick, but I give it a B grade. KCP is Rip Hamilton (in his prime) if he develops completely. He has size and speed to defend well, his IQ is high, he knows how to work screens and get a shot he's comfortable with, I really don't see the problem here.

Unless we had plans to trade Knight on draft day or soon, I think KCP was the right pick, or at least "a" right pick.

June 28th, 2013, 12:23 pm
1st Round Pick

This draft was weak and I don't think any of their options was really any better than the others. It really doesn't even matter if they don't stop changing coaches so damn often. Their young "core" is all potential and no actual results. Mo Cheeks has done well developing back courts in his other jobs, so hopefully he can do something with Knight. If they don't stick with Cheeks more than a couple of seasons they are never going to get anything out of these draft picks since they never get to settle into a system.

June 28th, 2013, 3:03 pm
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:
I love Burke but IMO Burke is too "shoot first" and maybe even to "me first" to be a great NBA PG.

Allen. Iverson

June 28th, 2013, 3:22 pm
Veteran General Manager

LionsFan4Life wrote:

Not only that, But, even if he didn't want to keep Burke, he could have gotten the 2 1st round picks for him that the team behind the Pistons got for him. Dumars was a great player. But, he absolutely stinks as a GM.

June 28th, 2013, 6:21 pm
Heisman Winner

BillySims wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

Not only that, But, even if he didn't want to keep Burke, he could have gotten the 2 1st round picks for him that the team behind the Pistons got for him. Dumars was a great player. But, he absolutely stinks as a GM.

Stinks seems a bit harsh for someone that build a World Championship team that probably should have won 2.

June 28th, 2013, 8:59 pm
Veteran General Manager

aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

Stinks seems a bit harsh for someone that build a World Championship team that probably should have won 2.

Sorry. The Dorko pick put him in Millenesk light.

June 28th, 2013, 10:04 pm
RIP Killer

aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

I'd love to say that about a Lions GM some day!

June 29th, 2013, 9:01 am
Profile WWW
aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

His drafting has been absolutely putrid.

I do see Burke as an A.I. esque sort of player...

I disagree completely about switching coaches. The NBA isn't the NFL. There are only a few important players on each team, and philosophies that are completely different aren't all that tough to grasp or change. Larry Brown instantly changed this team for the better, and the right coach could do the same.

For the record, I hate the Cheeks hire.

June 29th, 2013, 12:23 pm
1st Round Pick

Its would be ok to switch coaches if they had a star player or good veterans to stabilize the team, but they dont have anything. Their roster is a bunch of mediocre at best vets and college kids. They need a steady coaching staff to get one of these core guys to play like an NBA starting level player. If they do something in FA this year and get a high end vet that could be enough, but I have no faith in Dumars doing anything good with their cap space.

I also hate the Cheeks hire.

June 29th, 2013, 3:56 pm
Position Coach

aManNamedSuh wrote:
BillySims wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

He sucks at drafting and we prolly would've won more titles had he taken anyone other than Darko at #2. That 04 team was built through FA and Larry Brown(a great hire) being an elite teacher and defensive game planner.

BTW Mo Cheeks is not anywhere near being a legit NBA HEAD COACH.

July 1st, 2013, 1:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next