HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

No confidence in Darko
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1693
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Brian [ May 31st, 2005, 11:32 pm ]
Post subject:  No confidence in Darko

I really am wondering... just why do we have this guy on our team?

Why not cut him?

I don't want to hear about how he has "potential" and is still young. He flat out sucks, and can't play basketball.

Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Antonio McDyess, and Elden Campbell were all on the bench. To play center, Brown put in Darvin Ham.

A reporter asked "have you lost all your faith in Darko?"

Brown responded by stating that he didn't want to put Darko in that position.

There are about 100 other players from the past two drafts that are better than this guy, at least.

We took him over Carmelo Anthony... Dwyane Wade... even Chris Bosh would be better than him.

There is no reason for the Pistons to keep Darko on the roster.

Author:  Yorick [ May 31st, 2005, 11:55 pm ]
Post subject: 

Well, I would not cut him-now, but if we lose this series we lost it two years ago. Would any one trade Darko's potential for Wade's superstar heroics?

Author:  conversion02 [ June 1st, 2005, 7:53 am ]
Post subject: 

I think Darko sucks and should be cut. I agree, he's terrible. Take last night for instance. The kid gets in the game with 1:30 and change left on the clock and what does he do? Half-asses it the whole time. Everytime I've seen Darko play, he's extremely UN-agressive and lazy. He doesn't crash the boards, doesn't work the paint, doesn't give ball fakes. The guy is terrible. Now wonder why Brown put in Ham instead of Darko. If Darko was smart, he would have played the best 1:30 of his life last night so he can show LB and the rest of the NBA that he's not a bust.

Potential is overrated, just ask the Cleveland Browns.

Author:  theAlphaMale [ June 1st, 2005, 9:08 am ]
Post subject: 

I say to NOT cut. I don't care who you are...it's pretty hard to come off the bench and play the last 1:30 of a blowout game a look fired up especially when you have been riding the pine for 2 years and get in maybe about 1 in 10 games for about 60 seconds. I know I would be pissed to not even have the opportunity. People dogged Carlise but at least he put Prince in earlier in the season to get his feet wet...he didn't work out and Rick pulled him. I am not saying start the kid but he needs play time cause that's the only way to get the flow of the game down. I remember Prince looked lost his first season as well. Again...I am not suggesting that he is the second coming but give him 5 minutes to get going in the 2nd quarter in the regular season.

One thing is for sure...LB loves vets and that is not helping Darko. To cut him would be to admit defeat for Dumars who aside from Prince (and Memo :cry: ) has been terrible with the draft. If Joe wants to continue to look like a super star GM he needs to draft some impact players. Also...we need to dump this fad facisnation with foreign players :roll:

Author:  spiderman [ June 1st, 2005, 11:41 am ]
Post subject: 

darko has not been able to participate in a summer league yet, that is really hurting his development (he broke his hand last year). if there is a lockout this year, darko will be one of the players this hurts the most. i say give him at least one summer league to see how he develops and plays against decent competition.

like everyone else, i have been very unimpressed with his lack of aggression - this tends to be true of many euros when they cross the pond. to look at all the players the stones passed on to take him is painful. you can even see undrafted rookies from that year who have contributed.

truth is, however, that most nba teams only go so deep into their roster (8-10 players) - i don't believe darko is really hurting the team at this point and he is very young still. just show us something pllllleeeeeaaaaasssseeeee.

Author:  Yorick [ June 1st, 2005, 12:31 pm ]
Post subject: 

My question is what do you do when his contract comes up? You can not sign him for a max deal on potential. My guess is that barring a new coach you would have to trade him a la White and hope that he does not become the next Nowitzki.

Author:  TheRealWags [ June 1st, 2005, 12:42 pm ]
Post subject: 

theAlphaMale wrote:
I say to NOT cut. I don't care who you are...it's pretty hard to come off the bench and play the last 1:30 of a blowout game a look fired up especially when you have been riding the pine for 2 years and get in maybe about 1 in 10 games for about 60 seconds. I know I would be pissed to not even have the opportunity. People dogged Carlise but at least he put Prince in earlier in the season to get his feet wet...he didn't work out and Rick pulled him. I am not saying start the kid but he needs play time cause that's the only way to get the flow of the game down. I remember Prince looked lost his first season as well. Again...I am not suggesting that he is the second coming but give him 5 minutes to get going in the 2nd quarter in the regular season.

One thing is for sure...LB loves vets and that is not helping Darko. To cut him would be to admit defeat for Dumars who aside from Prince (and Memo :cry: ) has been terrible with the draft. If Joe wants to continue to look like a super star GM he needs to draft some impact players. Also...we need to dump this fad facisnation with foreign players :roll:
Agreed Alpha, I think Darko just need playing time. After sitting on the bench all freaking game then being asked to come in for mop up work the last 2 mins or so, how the hell is supposed to get in a rhythm??? I don't care who you are, if you're essentially a rookie and you've sat the bench for 2 years playing for a couple mins here and there in mop up work, then you're not going to be comfortable or even confident. From what I've seen and read, the rest of the players talk him up all the time saying he's got great skills and he just needs to get some playing time.

Author:  conversion02 [ June 1st, 2005, 2:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

I guess in my first rant, I didn't really want to recommend cutting him. I have just been so disappointed with his lack of agression that I would rather see anyone else come in during that mop up time. I do think that he should not be re-signed when the time comes, unless he steps up his game.

My point is, he has to show SOMETHING in order to get more playing time. Even when he was put in during the regular season, he still was un-agressive and played terrible. You don't get more playing time by showing that you can't do anything. It doesn't matter if you look like Michael Jordan in practice if you can't produce during game time.

BTW, did anyone else notice that Torry Holt was wearing his brother's jersey at the Pistons game last night?

Author:  Harrington is da man [ June 1st, 2005, 5:04 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've also lost faith in him... At the time I wanted us to take Carmelo, but after I seen what Tayshaun could do I'm glad we didn't take him, but now I wish we could have either Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade...

Author:  detroit_11 [ June 2nd, 2005, 8:15 am ]
Post subject: 

Who the hell comes off the bench with a 15-20 point led with 55 seconds left and plays their heart out....no-one. Why would they. Teammakes have said Darko proves himself in practice, where he's playing against and learning the game from some great players....Sheed, Ben, Old-man Elden. Wasn't he also the youngest player ever drafted in the NBA? So quit your whining and wait a few years, he'll be playing...especially if Larry Brown leaves.

Author:  conversion02 [ June 2nd, 2005, 8:30 am ]
Post subject: 

detroit_11 wrote:
Who the hell comes off the bench with a 15-20 point led with 55 seconds left and plays their heart out....no-one. Why would they. Teammakes have said Darko proves himself in practice, where he's playing against and learning the game from some great players....Sheed, Ben, Old-man Elden. Wasn't he also the youngest player ever drafted in the NBA? So quit your whining and wait a few years, he'll be playing...especially if Larry Brown leaves.



I don't think I'm whining. Obviously the team has done just fine without the likes of a Carmello, Wade, etc. So drafting Darko wasn't a major slap in the face to the organization, because they've been in the playoffs every year since drafting him. I'm just labeling him a bust until proven otherwise.

I agree, he's young and needs time to adjust. But he needs to prove as much as he can when he has the chance...I don't care if they had a 30 point lead. He needs to at least be agressive, get the boards and control the clock. He doesn't even do that.

When you are a young, unproven player, you want to bust rectum when you get the chance. Coaches don't give a flying F about what you do in practice. Do coaches care that Garcia doesn't practice well? NO. He shows what he can do in games, when things actually matter. Practice hasn't gotten him to Pro Bowls. Practice won't get Darko to the All-Star games either.

Author:  detroit_11 [ June 2nd, 2005, 9:59 am ]
Post subject: 

Hey, I agree, it wouldn't hurt to hussle to let the coaches and fans know what you can do. But for the people who say he sucks, you cant judge his game based on those few minutes at the end of a game. Though its a little foggy....I remember at the beginning of the season, when Ben was suspended, they played Miami and Brown put him up against Shaq for awhile, and poop...he didn't do all that bad (defensively), plus he got a bucket. I like him and look forward to him playing. In a couple years, Sheed will be like 34 Darko will be 22, he'll be gettin plenty of playing time then.

Author:  Yorick [ June 2nd, 2005, 11:47 am ]
Post subject: 

In light of Shaq's first quarter prowess and subsequent swoons I propose a radical tactical move. Let's start Darko and implement Hack-A-Shaq. This would serve two purposes. First, Shaq's scoring is bound to go down with his 80% 1Q shooting percentage. Second, our big guys do not get into foul trouble while Darko is bound to get a valuable lesson in the physical nature of the NBA.

Author:  theAlphaMale [ June 2nd, 2005, 12:13 pm ]
Post subject: 

Darko...the human shield and Pistons Goon :lol:

Author:  detroit_11 [ June 2nd, 2005, 1:12 pm ]
Post subject: 

Yorick wrote:
In light of Shaq's first quarter prowess and subsequent swoons I propose a radical tactical move. Let's start Darko and implement Hack-A-Shaq. This would serve two purposes. First, Shaq's scoring is bound to go down with his 80% 1Q shooting percentage. Second, our big guys do not get into foul trouble while Darko is bound to get a valuable lesson in the physical nature of the NBA.


I like it....it beats being the human victory cigar.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/