View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 22nd, 2014, 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Pistons WIN! 
RIP Killer

I agree Yorick. I do think they need to get rid of someone while they're still at peak value...but only if they feel they have someone who can step in and take their spot. As for now...I don't think that Hunter, Campbell, Arroyo, or Darko could possibly step in. McDyess could possibly be a full time guy. I don't know if many of these guys would want to bolt if they're consistantly winning championships. What's more important to these guys? Money or Sheed's homemade gold belts? But, as with Yorick, I am worried about the financial future of the Pistons.

June 7th, 2005, 5:41 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I sought a Pistons/Spurs series from the get go but I don't think we can beat them; I say Spurs in 7... Reasoning is because are defense and there's don't have much off a difference; are's might be a little better but not much better and they have more fire power then we do; offensively speaking...

Michael Huff for DROY

Last edited by Harrington is da man on June 8th, 2005, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 7th, 2005, 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I still disagree while I see the point. But Basketball is not Football. The Pistons are partially where they are at due to solid team chemistry. There is no troubles in the locker room with us and we need to keep it that way. I am not sure what you would expect to get for these guys anyways because throughout the league they are NOT consider stars as individuals. I think you may even be hard pressed to get a Francis or Marbury for Billups because they are "individual" talents let alone up and comers like Arenas or whomever. I cannot think of a whole lot of 2 guards I would want over what Rip brings us and the one I can there is no way we could get. You are not going to get a Ray Allen or any other player that can dominate a game for any one single Piston. So in the end the value the current Pistons add at this point not only skillwise and chemistry wise will not receive any sort of equal exchange IMO.

Basketball hasn't been a Sport where teams are great for long periods of times so when you are hot you have to ride it. Like you said...Champ Bailey seemed like a good deal but didn't produce...why would we risk what we have to get a "Champ Bailey"? Unless they can get a bonified superstar for one of these guys I cannot see the sense in dealing for another borderline talent.

That being said...if Joe made a big trade in the offseason this summer it would not surprise me a ton but Joe doesn't pull that trigger unless it heavily favors the Pistons situation.

And besides I am more interested to see this series through before I start wanting a rebuild. Back to back Championships will be great for me for the time being. After that we will see what trader Joe pulls out of his hat :wink: "Be mindful of the present" as a Jedi master once said :lol:

June 8th, 2005, 10:32 am
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

I wouldn't trade Billups for any of the players you mentioned. The model that sometimes presents itself is a young team desperate for winners giving up high draft picks. Realistically I cannot see them unloading any of their "2" guards, although I see our point defense as being an ever increasing weakness. If Joe does cut salary he may try for a more unheralded guy on someone's bench or move up to get a Prince type steal in the form of an European. They have been trying to get a PG defender for some time.

June 8th, 2005, 11:48 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

They have been trying to get a PG defender for some time.

I don't understand what you mean by that. Chauncy was 2nd team defense this year. I'm sure I just don't get what you are saying.

June 8th, 2005, 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Draft picks are a negitive IMO. Joe's draft history outside of Tayshaun has been his weakest aspect in his GMing.

Chauncey makes about 5.9mil while others like Baron Davis, Steve Francis, and others almost make triple that.

Ben Wallace is the only FA of any impact next year and we will have to see what he looks to get but with Detroit ranking 19th on the salary chart I am not too concerned.

The only move I would possibly endorse is a big man move of a Rasheed for Amare Stoudemire. It would never happen but would be interesting.

Being one of the better backcourts in all of the NBA and one of the cheaper ones I think we are set for the time being.

June 8th, 2005, 12:44 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I don't know much about the cap in basketball, but I don't believe it is a hard cap like the NFL. Instead, my understanding is that teams are accessed a "luxury tax" when they exceed the cap. If this is true, managing the cap in bball is much easier than in the NFL. If you have the $, there is plenty of wiggle room.

There are lots of other aspects to the NBA cap that I don't understand. I know there are cap implications in trades (15% rule I think).

Perhaps one of you can explain why you are concerned with all the salary issues???

Given the age of the players, I would still ride out the top 6-7 guys as long as possible.

I disagree a little about the chemistry issue. The stones are like the Patriots - everything is for the good of the team. How much of a "team" player was Dillon before he arrived in NE? Any player the Pistons add is going to have to adhere to the franchises style - just look at Sheed! It is one thing to be a star on a .500 team, it is another thing to win championships.

June 8th, 2005, 2:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Chemistry is key...it's not like the Pats in the sense that the in the NBA teams are much smaller and intimate. Championships didn't matter in LA cause they could not get along and it cost them a title.

June 8th, 2005, 2:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2