View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 1st, 2014, 8:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Finley released--Detroit in mix to sign him 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Finley released--Detroit in mix to sign him
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... id=2135306

Quote:
Pistons president Joe Dumars, eager to do some free-agent shopping after the interminable Larry Brown saga, has been quietly waiting for his swing at Finley. It doesn't hurt Dumars' chances that the Pistons have their entire $5 million mid-level exception to offer Finley for next season -- nearly twice as rich as what the Spurs can pitch -- as well as the promise of healthy minutes with a proven championship crew. Detroit, remember, generally relied on only seven guys when it mattered: Antonio McDyess, Lindsey Hunter and its trusty starting five. Finley would fortify the bench for new coach Flip Saunders and serve as an offensive-minded complement to the defense-first Tayshaun Prince. The fit seems even more feasible now that Finley, in trademark Pistons style, can even claim that he has something to prove as a former face of the Mavs who has since been discarded.

I think we have a good chance to get Finley to sign. We can offer him $5 million and the chance to contend for a championship. Plus he would get healthy minutes as one of the 1st subs off the bench, backing up either Prince or Hamilton.

What do you guys think of our chances?

Tim

August 16th, 2005, 2:17 pm
RIP Killer

Living in Dallas, I haven't heard as Detroit being one of the front runners. I've heard Pheonix, San Antonio and Chicago mentioned as the most likely destinations for fin.

August 16th, 2005, 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

He would be very stupid to not join us, then again he would be very stupid not to join San Antonio... I see him going to Phoenix though, he'll start there and he would get to play with ex-teammate and long time friend Steve Nash...

Michael Huff for DROY

August 16th, 2005, 5:29 pm
Profile WWW
QB Coach

August 16th, 2005, 8:02 pm
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I think we'll sign Jalan Rose... He loves our team, he use too live in Michigan, he went to Michigan University, theres a lot of reasons on why he would come too Motown...

Michael Huff for DROY

August 17th, 2005, 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

August 17th, 2005, 12:55 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Jalen Rose was not released, so he won't be coming to Detroit. I did hear an interesting rumor on ESPN last night that Mark Cuban was going to buy out the rest of Finley's contract and pay him his money up front as long as he agrees to not sign with a Western Conference team. If that is true, that would leave us, Miami, or Chicago. They should be able to report something on this by tomorrow when the 48 hour period ends and we can try to contact Finley's agent.

Tim

August 17th, 2005, 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]