View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 1:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mateen Cleaves 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Mateen Cleaves
Back in Motown?

My peepsare telling me that Mateen Cleaves is hoping to get another shot with the Pistons.

Cleaves, a former Michigan State point guard and NBA journeyman, was drafted 14th overall by the Pistons in 2000.

Cleaves, a Flint native, just didn't work out his first go-around in Detroit. In his rookie season, Cleaves, 28, was beaten out by Chucky Atkins for the starting spot and played in 78 games (he started eight). Cleaves averaged 5.4 points and 2.7 assists.

Cleaves, who averaged 2.7 points in 27 games with Seattle last season, has to be inspired by the development of former teammate Charlie Bell , who wasn't even drafted in 2001.

Bell, who went to Europe and got his game together, performed well for the Bucks this season and shot 45 percent from three-point range against the Pistons during the playoffs.

Still, don't be surprised if Cleaves, who helped lead the Spartans win the NCAA championship in 2000, ends up coaching.

May 13th, 2006, 2:39 pm
Profile YIM
Hall of Fame Player

Man, I hope Cleaves don't make a return trip. I haven't liked him since the night of the "INCIDENT".

What incident am I refering to? The one that started the whole NCAA investigation into the Michigan basketball program.

If Cleaves hadn't visited UofM then the roll over accident wouldn't have taken place because the other players wouldn't have tried recruiting him through taking him to the party. Then the NCAA wouldn't have been questioning how a college student could afford a new Ford Exploder (er excuse me.... ) Explorer. LOL. And the rest is history. He said no to UofM and left behind scorched earth.

May 13th, 2006, 3:00 pm
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

i dont see cleaves as a piston. might be time to see if izzo can hook him up with a coaching job

May 22nd, 2006, 12:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]