View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 22nd, 2014, 1:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Who scares you the most from the West? 

Poll ended at May 26th, 2006, 2:37 pm
Clippers 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Mavericks 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
Spurs 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Suns 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 10

RIP Killer

Post Who scares you the most from the West?
The only local team I like down here is the Mavs. I hate the Cowboys with a passion and don't care for the Stars or Rangers. The Stones are still my #1, but the Mavs are a fairly close second after watching them develop the last 6 years or so.

This is a franchise that was a lot like the Lions, until new ownership took over (Mark Cuban) and the team got a winning attitude. I've been a fan since. They have done a pretty amazing job when you consider all the talent they have dumped the past two years - Finley, Jamision, Walker, Van Exel, and two time MVP Steve Nash. Despite the losses, they are actually a much better team.

Coach of the Year Avery Johnson has done a great job here. Two years ago they ranked #28 in defense. Last year, when Avery took over in the sping they jumped to #14. This year they finished #7 but continued to improve over the season.

This is the team that the Pistons would probably have the toughest time against from the West IMO. While the Stones were a defensive team that became more offensive this year, the Mavs took the other path (an offensive team that went defensive). They have a lot of young talent and create a lot of matchup problems for opponents. They lost a nail bitter to the Stones at the Palace (missing half the team) thanks to late heroics by CB. They crushed Detroit by 30+ points in Dallas with a full roster.

Dallas is very deep. Josh Howard is one of the most under rated players in the league, a great defender (kind of like Prince) who can score as well. Devin Harris is a great young point guard, just back healthy after missing much of the season. Jason Terry and Stack are very streaky and can get on fire. They now have a fairly effective center duo in Dampier and Diop. The team goes 12 deep and there is the 7-0 German who can score from anywhere on the court.

The Mavs destroyed SA in the last game after losing by 2 in the first game (that they should have won). Dallas physically ran the Spurs off the court and shut down everyone but Duncan on D. SA still has the experience edge, but the series should be tight.

Anyway, I'm not sure how the Mavs are viewed outside of Dallas and just wonder which team in the West you are most concerned with Detroit meeting in the finals?

May 12th, 2006, 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Great question Pablo. I too happen to like the Mavs some. No one will ever replace the Pistons in my heart, but I think Cuban has brought so much to that franchise since he purchased them. He is very passionate about his team and you have to love that, even though I don't always agree with everything he says.

As for your question, I would still rather face the Mavs than the Spurs. I know that Dallas has been very impressive in these playoffs so far and that we did not play all that great against them in the season, but in a 7 game series i'm sure that we could take them.

As for the Spurs, they scare me some. They have looked old and slow at times, but you just can't compensate for experience and not freezing up in clutch situations because you have been there before. I'm sure in 7 games Dallas would give us a run and that we would probably throw up 1 or 2 clunker games like we normally do every series, but in the end our team would be too focused to lose.

The other reason to fear the Spurs would be coaching. I honestly think that Popovich has proven himself as the best coach in the game today. He makes all the right moves and adjustments and knows his players better than any coach in the league. I know Avery won coach of the year this year, and desrvedly so, but this is still his 1st full season coaching the team. He doesn't know his team like Pop. He doesn't have the leadership that Pop has. While he has coached well so far, we have a very veteran team that just refuses to back down and Flip has done an exceptional job.

Bottom line, until proven otherwise, the Spurs are still are #1 competition from the West.

Tim

May 12th, 2006, 3:30 pm
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

I absolutely hate the Dallas Mavericks, although I don't mind them beating up on the San Antonio Spurs. Probably the only team I hate more than the Dallas Mavericks are the Miami Heat. I cannot stand that team and personally hope that they get beat by the New Jersey Nets :lol: !!

May 12th, 2006, 4:47 pm
Profile YIM
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

The only team that really scares me is the Pistons. The Spurs are the most dangerous from out West, but they are not as strong as last year.

May 14th, 2006, 4:38 am
RIP Killer

At the beginning of the playoffs, I would have said that both the Mavs and the Spurs are equally as dangerous. I think the Spurs have the best depth of any team in the playoffs, but I can't stand Dirk. I hate the Mavs more than the Spurs (barely) and think the Mavs are the better team and more dangerous.

May 14th, 2006, 11:02 am
RIP Killer

And how bout those Mavs, putting the Spurs on the brink of elimination and could have swept the Spurs if not for a Stackhouse fubar at the end of game one. SA played as well as I have seen them all season (I watch them a lot since my wife is a huge Spurs fan) and they still couldn't stop Dallas. Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker all had great nights (the lowest point total for any of them being 26) and former Mav Michael Finley played very well keeping SA in it during the 4th qtr.

Pop's goal last night was to hold Dallas under 100 - doh! Another great game by both teams, just sucks that these two teams aren't meeting in the Western Conf. Finals.

BTW C02 - the Mavs have much more depth than the Spurs and are younger and more athletic. The Spurs basically have 3 players, while Dallas has Dirk, Josh Howard, Jason Terry, Devin Harris, Jerry Stackhouse, Marquis Daniels, etc. - they just keep coming at you.

May 16th, 2006, 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

my darkhorse - Clippers.. laugh, but there is a reason for everything

May 16th, 2006, 4:36 pm
Site Admin

I agree with Pablo on the Mavs depth...it is astounding. Plus now...they play defense :shock:

We have not fared well vs the Mavs and so they scare me most. The Spurs just don't seem to have the fire this year...but the Pistons are also showing that as well in this round. I do think they will pull through and win it all but they just play so poorly at times.

May 16th, 2006, 4:48 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I hate the Spurs and Dallas will win 1 of the next 2 games and win the series no doubt. However I am not losing faith in the Pistons they'll win the East and very well could win it all.

NEVER GIVE UP!

May 16th, 2006, 5:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]