View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Wheels Coming off? 
Site Admin

Post Wheels Coming off?
Are the wheels coming off the Joe Dumars bandwagon?

I dunno but I really don't like what I see. Joe's first few years...he was King Midas with his golden touch....but not unlike Midas it is starting to be an issue. I look around at some players that we passed on or let go and it is frustrating. We were supposed to be a team with a long future ahead of us.

- Mo Pete, Quentin Richardson, Jamaal Magloire, etc..- for who? Mateen Cleaves...guy hasn't been on a real team for a season since leaving Detroit.
- Joe Johnson 28.9ppg - we passed on him to go for flippin Rodney White!! He is not even on a team this season. We did get Memo which was a great pickup...but he is being one of the better centers in the game for another team right now so we could save money to resign Big Ben and Darko...OH SNAP!!!
- 2002 we got Tayshaun..nice job.
- Melo, Bosh, Wade, Kaman, Hinrich, Ford, Howard, I could go on and on. But we got Milicic and Delfino and some Greek dud. Now...Delfino has done pretty much nothing here. Darko actually would be pretty important about now not to mention his numbers are better than N.Mohammads this season.
- 2004 draft...Rickey Paulding who?
- 2005 - Jason Maxiell - bleh
- Chiekh Samb, Will Blalock :/

Seriously...I hate Joes drafting...if there were ever a need to outsource something...he needs to do it...

November 21st, 2006, 5:04 pm
Profile WWW

Before we go saying that Joey D has "jumped the shark" I think you have to analyze his drafts in regards to his coaching staffs...

Personally I would love to see us get a younger coaching prodigy that is better at incorporating in younger talent... However, we got who we got... Not playing our younger guys was one of LB's biggest flaws... I'm still not ready to give up on Darko, and I like his #'s in Orlando... Off of the bench he is putting up better #'s than our starting C... That's impressive for someone that isn't old enough to buy a drink!... Additionally, in last year's playoffs Flip refused to give our younger guys a shot. IMO simply taking them out of pressure situations and showing them that you don't believe in them hurts their confidence. I wish we would employ a different philosophy, and I don't think you can criticize Joe's drafts until we do... Rarely are players ready to come in and play right away...

The only two players I think you can say that he missed the mark on severly are Melo and Wade... Still VERY few people had Wade ranked higher than Darko, and Melo has proven not to adopt the "team" philosophy... I'm not sure how good of a fit he would have been here...

You can point to past drafts and say we missed all this talent, but I don't see it. We picked Cleaves over some people because he fit a need and he had a "role" player mentality... or at least, he was willing to be #2, sit back and play a role while he learned... That's more than you can say for a lot of people coming out. Joe puts a lot of stock into team chemistry, and I wish Millen would take that into account. I can't fault him for passing on someone that might be a better player for the sake of keeping a "team" in tact. I'm glad we stayed away from people like Mo Pete, Melo, ext...

I will admit though... Rodney White was definite bust... but who predicted it? I'll admit, I thought he'd be good... He seems to just lack confidence and drive... Physically he's similar to Lebron if I remember right... 6'8"-6'10" ish good agility, decent speed/cordination for a big guy... But somehow he lost his 10 ft. jump shot, never found it, and became tenative once he got to the NBA... Can't win 'em all...

November 21st, 2006, 10:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]