View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 11:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Donaghy under investigation for betting on NBA games 
Modmin Dude

Post Donaghy under investigation for betting on NBA games
Sure basketball games are called fairly.....

espn.com wrote:
NBA referee Tim Donaghy is under investigation by the FBI for allegations that he bet on games that he officiated over the past two seasons and that he made calls affecting the point spread in games, multiple sources told ESPN.

Donaghy, a 13-year veteran of the league, is aware of the investigation and resigned from the NBA recently.

The NBA issued a brief statement Friday, saying: "We have been asked by the FBI, with whom we are working closely, not to comment on this matter at this time."

According to a law enforcement official, authorities are examining whether Donaghy -- whose identity was not revealed until Friday afternoon -- made calls to affect the point spread in games on which he or associates had wagered.

The law enforcement official, who spoke to The Associated Press on Friday on condition of anonymity, said the referee was aware of the investigation and had made arrangements to surrender as early as next week to face charges. The official, who did not identify the referee, is familiar with the investigation but was not authorized to speak publicly about the ongoing investigation.

The investigation first was reported Friday by the New York Post.

The law enforcement official said the bets involved thousands of dollars and were made on games during the 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons.

The FBI probe, which began recently, also involves allegations that the referee had connections to organized crime associates. Other arrests are expected, the official said.

The referee had a gambling problem, according to the official, and was approached by low-level mob associates through an acquaintance.

Nevada gambling regulators were not involved in an investigation and had no information about the allegations, said Jerry Markling, enforcement chief for the state Gaming Commission and Gaming Control Board.

Jay Kornegay, executive director of the sports book at the Las Vegas Hilton, said he had never seen any unusual activity in NBA betting, and was surprised not to have heard about an investigation until Friday.

"Whispers would have happened on the street, and we would have heard something," Kornegay said. "Any type of suspicious or unusual movements, you usually hear in the industry. We're so regulated and policed, any kind of suspicion would be discussed.

"We haven't seen anything like that in the NBA that I can remember," he said, "and we haven't been contacted by anybody."

Kornegay said legal sports betting in Nevada represents a fraction of sports betting worldwide, with 98.5 percent of all action taken outside the state. Clayton cited a 2005 estimate by the National Gambling Impact Study Commission that found $380 billion is wagered on illegal sports betting, compared with $2.25 billion in legal sports betting in Nevada.

Gambling long has been a problem in sports, and leagues have made a point of educating players of the potential pitfalls. The NBA, for example, discusses gambling at rookie orientation, even bringing in former mobster Michael Franceze to speak.

NBA commissioner David Stern had long objected to putting a team in Las Vegas because it permits betting on basketball, though earlier this year allowed Mayor Oscar Goodman to submit a proposal to owners on how the city would handle wagering on a team if it moved there.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

July 20th, 2007, 2:55 pm
Site Admin

This is funny...on multiple levels... :lol:

July 20th, 2007, 3:05 pm
Profile WWW
Hall of Fame Player

LOL... :lol:

Did Donahy officiate the Pistons vs. Cavs series?

July 20th, 2007, 5:55 pm
Varsity 1st Team

theAlphaMale wrote:
LOL... :lol:

Did Donahy officiate the Pistons vs. Cavs series?

My thoughts exactly

July 21st, 2007, 1:52 am
I've said the sh*t is fixed for years... I love basketball, but can't even watch it sometimes. I was at the Cavs series and watched C Webb get called for a foul when he wasn't even within two feet of the guy that he allegedly fouled. I was sitting 4th row and I was closer to the play than the ref that called the foul. Right then, in the first or second quarter, I wanted to get up and leave. I knew we were going to lose, and it wasn't because I felt we couldn't over-come a bad call. It just seems the refs wanted us to lose. That's just one example off of the top of my head. There are COUNTLESS others. I felt the same way last year with the Spurs. A lot of people want to call me a homer and say that I'm looking at the situation through a biased lens, but that's neither fair nor true. I openly admit when a bad call goes our way.

Also, I find it odd that there's always miracuosly a markee matchup in the finals... The story just rings too perfect for me. The NBA's new "savior" just happens to make it to the finals... Sure you could argue that the markee teams are the best teams, but, IMO a lot of times it is the calls that make the player, and calls that make the team. Who couldn't look dominant in a game when every time you shoot the ball you either score or shoot two foul shots? Whose confidence wouldn't be soaring under those circumstances? The fact that the NBA openly employes "super star" rules is disingenous enough, but this makes it even worse

And, IMO refs should be fined and/or suspended when they blatently miss calls.

July 21st, 2007, 12:01 pm
Varsity 1st Team

OK, Donaghy reffed 2 Pistons games this year and 6 last year. This year they went 2-0 with one of those games being against the Magic in the playoffs, and last eyar they went 5-1, so I can't complain about this PARTICULAR referee abusing the Pistons. That said, I believe they were shafted multiple times against the Cavs by other officials. The loss wasn't completely their fault of course, but IMO, the refs should not even come up in a discussion about that type of thing.

July 21st, 2007, 2:26 pm
OK, Donaghy reffed 2 Pistons games this year and 6 last year. This year they went 2-0 with one of those games being against the Magic in the playoffs, and last eyar they went 5-1, so I can't complain about this PARTICULAR referee abusing the Pistons. That said, I believe they were shafted multiple times against the Cavs by other officials. The loss wasn't completely their fault of course, but IMO, the refs should not even come up in a discussion about that type of thing.

LoL... Looks like Vegas had the Stones!...

That said, I wasn't accusing this particular ref of shafting us, I just think we get shafted in general. I honestly believe for marketing purposes the league rigs itself to bring certain small markets in and out of the limelight to pump up their fans, and maintain a strong base of 3-5 teams for continuity.

July 21st, 2007, 2:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]