View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 14th, 2018, 11:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Outback Bowl. 
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Post Re: Outback Bowl.
they got smoked but i dont see why he should be fired. probably more likely to be two steps back than a step forward for them.

November 27th, 2018, 11:51 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

I'm not saying fire him now. Give him one more year.

But after 5 years, you can't win the B10? You don't deserve to be coaching Michigan football.

November 28th, 2018, 1:26 am
RIP Killer

Blueskies wrote:
I'm not saying fire him now. Give him one more year.

But after 5 years, you can't win the B10? You don't deserve to be coaching Michigan football.

Going into next season Michigan hasn't won the B10 in 15 years when it split the title with Iowa. OSU has won 7 times since then, MSU, Penn State and Wisconsin 3 times each since then.

Michigan fans are judging the team on days gone by. Harbaugh has brought Michigan back up to respectability with a chance to compete each year based on the recruits he is able to bring in. I don't think he is a great game day coach, but if you fire him you have a chance to slip backwards to the Rich Rod / Hoke days which would be a disaster.

Michigan lost two games this year to two teams competing for the BCS playoffs, that is a very solid season. Be careful what you wish for.

Problem for UofM has been the lack of QB development, something we thought Harbaugh would be very good at. This year a college transfer improved the position greatly. If Michigan is going to come all the way back, the coach has to develop a QB to build around for a few years.

November 29th, 2018, 10:45 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Rich Rod had great recruiting classes despite sourcing completely different sorts of players.

Hoke had great recruiting classes despite having no resume as an effective head coach.

Players will come to Michigan regardless of the coach. They come because of the brand, the big house, and the alumni both in the NFL and those willing to donate.

But a great brand will only last for so long. People will forgive a bad product for a while, but eventually it ends.

Will the people who graduated from Michigan in the last 10 years want to donate when they have money 10, 20, 30 years from now? Will fans still show up to the big house if the team is only mediocre? How much longer will non-Michigan alums buy overpriced Nike gear with the Block M if the school is only a second-rate within the B10?

Like I said, I had very high hopes for Jim Harbaugh. His resume was great and he was given a lot of leeway. Everyone was in alignment. But after 5 years, if you can't get it done, then you're obviously not the guy for the job. You're right -- if you get rid of him, you could go back to winning 4/5/6 games and being a joke. But I'd rather take the risk and try than settle for perpetual mediocrity. If you take a risk, you might have a chance at bringing Michigan back. If you settle for Iowa-status, the destruction of Michigan football is guaranteed. Maybe it limps along for another 10, 15 years, but eventually it will end.

December 2nd, 2018, 9:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2