View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2014, 9:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Candidates to replace Carr 
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

wjb, recruits can't sign with a college until February. Up until then, they can only give verbal commitments and that's what UM is trying to keep and expand upon.

December 4th, 2007, 12:05 am
wjb, recruits can't sign with a college until February. Up until then, they can only give verbal commitments and that's what UM is trying to keep and expand upon.

Thanks sly... In light of that... I can't see it mattering what happens, as long as it happens before Jan. 15th or so... two weeks is plenty long enough to show off your new coach and get the kids to sign...

December 4th, 2007, 2:12 am
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Thanks Sly, wasn't too sure about that. I do know that some of the recruits who have verbally committed to us have considered talking to other schools now because of the uncertainty of the coaching situation. One of them happens to be our top recruit, a CB out of Detroit who is in the top 10 in the nation at his position. That is why you try and nail down your coach right away. Also, I think there is like a 2 week period in January that coaches cannot have ANY contact with potential recruits. Sly, can you verify this?

But wjb, I also agree with you that this decision should not be rushed and UM should hold out as long as possible to get the very best coach they can get. I guess it is kind of a double edged sword.

What I don't understand is that Bill Martin has known since the 2nd week of the season that Carr would be gone after the year and it seems as though he has no "plan B" to go to since Miles decided to stay at LSU. The man has had almost 3 months to prepare a list of potential replacements, but he seems lost now that his "big catch" is no longer available. Unbelievable.

Tim

December 4th, 2007, 10:32 am
RIP Killer

Hoping the Bucks can steal a few verbals because of the coaching change... UofM has got a few good Ohio guys, some OSU even offered.

December 4th, 2007, 10:35 am
What I don't understand is that Bill Martin has known since the 2nd week of the season that Carr would be gone after the year and it seems as though he has no "plan B" to go to since Miles decided to stay at LSU. The man has had almost 3 months to prepare a list of potential replacements, but he seems lost now that his "big catch" is no longer available. Unbelievable.

TAD, that's actually not true, AT ALL... Actually, according to U of M, Les Miles wasn't even (and isn't even) their first choice coach. Call it a smoke screen if you want to, but their actions seem to dictate it as well... The rumor is that Les Mile's agent leaked and hyped up the story that Les was going to go to U of M to get a more lucrative deal for Les... And... IT WORKED... Les got a long-term deal with a nice pay raise... Still, U of M could try to "steal" him if they want, or they go with their alleged "plan A"... Hopefully we see what that is in the next coming weeks.

I am EXTREMELY glad that they came out and said that they are going to re-evaluate what they pay their coaches though... And that they want a top-notch coach... ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!...

December 4th, 2007, 2:36 pm

TAD, that's actually not true, AT ALL... Actually, according to U of M, Les Miles wasn't even (and isn't even) their first choice coach. Call it a smoke screen if you want to, but their actions seem to dictate it as well... The rumor is that Les Mile's agent leaked and hyped up the story that Les was going to go to U of M to get a more lucrative deal for Les... And... IT WORKED... Les got a long-term deal with a nice pay raise... Still, U of M could try to "steal" him if they want, or they go with their alleged "plan A"... Hopefully we see what that is in the next coming weeks.

Hmmm, well that is the first time I have heard that. It has been reported since the beginning, by everyone, that Miles was UM's top choice. I'm not sure what a smoke screen would accomplish, unless it was to pry away a top coach from another program. But I'm pretty sure that would have leaked by now. If UM really has another candidate as their top coach, I would love to hear exactly who they are targeting.

But I am also excited that UM is willing to open up their pocketbooks and start paying their coach what a coach from a top program should make. With the renovations being done at the Big House and the new practice facilities in the works, they need to make a big splash.

Tim

December 4th, 2007, 3:48 pm
Quote:

Hmmm, well that is the first time I have heard that. It has been reported since the beginning, by everyone, that Miles was UM's top choice. I'm not sure what a smoke screen would accomplish, unless it was to pry away a top coach from another program. But I'm pretty sure that would have leaked by now. If UM really has another candidate as their top coach, I would love to hear exactly who they are targeting.

But I am also excited that UM is willing to open up their pocketbooks and start paying their coach what a coach from a top program should make. With the renovations being done at the Big House and the new practice facilities in the works, they need to make a big splash.

That's why I didn't think a smoke screen was really what happened... They might have just been trying to "save face" so to speak, but I don't think so. Think about the story, where it came from, and how U of M typically dissiminates information... Not in that way... It seems to reek of an agent drumming up national attention for cash... and... it worked... I guess they could have been using it to "scare" another coach into signing, but I don't see that as the way that U of M operates... I would be willing to bet that they have contacted the appropriate agency (if there is one) and asked permission to speak with that coach (and perhaps others), but we haven't hear about it. They tend to only release "official news," and it seems good policy.

On a side note... they were talking today on 97.1 and Doug Carsh (sp?) was agreeing with me that he thinks Les Miles is going to be the coach of U of M next season... If you read behind the lines at all as to what he's said, it sounds like he will be. He didn't do the "Nick Saban" and say he's not going to go to Alabama (and lose face)... He didn't give any assurance that he will be the "coach of LSU for 5 years"... All he said was "I will coach next year (08), and that may ONLY be the bowl game. It is rumored that if Miles was going to go to another organization that he wouldn't have been allowed to coach the Ntl. Championship game... that's a huge opportunitty that I wouldn't have wanted to lose either, if I were him. That said, he had no other option than to publicly denounce the U of M hire hype...

If he truly isn't their "top-choice" I hope they get thier man... But this situation reeks of Miles being our coach next year, and I'm all for it... They did say, however, that LSU has their problems, and we may not WANT Miles as our coach... Still, I think he would have to be an upgrade over Carr...

In the end, I really don't care who the coach is... As long as it is a good hire and he does his job well. I would like a high-profile guy to give this program a "spark" but if it takes a year or two to get in order, I can live with that.

December 4th, 2007, 5:25 pm

I agree that Miles definitely used this to his advantage to get paid the maximum amount he could, and more power to him. Either way, UM was ready and willing to offer him top dollar as well. I'm quite sure Miles, deep down, still wants to coach at UM. We have a tradition and history and LSU has only been good for about 10 years, if that. UM will always get recruits because of this history and it would be much easier for Miles to sustain success at UM than at LSU. So it would not surprise me in the least if Miles were to back track and still take the UM job. But after everything that was said publicly, I just don't see UM waiting to see if that happens. UM is too proud for that.

Tim

December 4th, 2007, 6:02 pm
I agree that Miles definitely used this to his advantage to get paid the maximum amount he could, and more power to him. Either way, UM was ready and willing to offer him top dollar as well. I'm quite sure Miles, deep down, still wants to coach at UM. We have a tradition and history and LSU has only been good for about 10 years, if that. UM will always get recruits because of this history and it would be much easier for Miles to sustain success at UM than at LSU. So it would not surprise me in the least if Miles were to back track and still take the UM job. But after everything that was said publicly, I just don't see UM waiting to see if that happens. UM is too proud for that.

On that note I agree... I'm not too sure on the "too proud" thing, but I'm fairly confident that they won't wait around for him. If he does come here, and if it appears that they're "waiting" for him, IMO it is because they are honoring a gentelman's agreement they've had with him since before this whole thing blew up. Still, I don't see them as operating that way... They seem more professional than that.

For Miles this was a no-lose propsition... get the ball rolling with U of M, throw his name in the hat, and get offered a HUGE contract from his current school in the process... If U of M has a "first choice" that is not him, than he made out tremendously... if not then he still has the job available... One thing is for sure, he won...

December 4th, 2007, 6:12 pm

They are saying now that Ferentz is the front runner and that we may be looking at the Boise State coach as well. I like the Boise State coach, but he doesn't have midwest ties and that will hurt his chances. As for Ferentz, this seems to be the guy that Carr is pushing for. He doesn't excite me at all though.

Tim

December 5th, 2007, 11:22 am
RIP Killer

All I hope is that they don't go for a spread offense coach... if they do then UofM's offense when Mallet is a Senior will be even harder to defend against. I think Mallet would flurish in a college style spread offense.

December 5th, 2007, 11:39 am

All I hope is that they don't go for a spread offense coach... if they do then UofM's offense when Mallet is a Senior will be even harder to defend against. I think Mallet would flurish in a college style spread offense.

I seriously doubt that. We are talking about Michigan here. Regardless, Mallett can't run!

Tim

December 5th, 2007, 12:36 pm
RIP Killer

Quote:

I seriously doubt that. We are talking about Michigan here. Regardless, Mallett can't run!

Did you see OSU's defense against the spread of Illi? They didn't even know what they were doing!

December 5th, 2007, 12:38 pm

On Friday night, Les Miles had a problem.

While most of the media speculated the Louisiana State football coach was about to jump to the University of Michigan to succeed Lloyd Carr, neither Miles nor his agent, George Bass, had heard from anyone connected to Michigan in any capacity.

Bill Martin, Michigan's athletic director, had received permission Wednesday to talk to Miles after Saturday's Southeastern Conference title game, but had not called to set up a meeting or schedule a phone call.

LSU, meanwhile, was pushing hard behind the scenes to keep Miles, offering a multi-year contract extension that would boost his pay by millions.

Forget all you've heard about secret deals using third-party intermediaries between Michigan and Miles. Bass said it's just not true.

Miles had no idea if Michigan really wanted him.

So Bass decided to ask.

He said he called Martin's cell phone on Friday and left a message. He just wanted to know where Miles stood.

Then, when he didn't hear back, the agent said he called Martin again.

"The (LSU) deal was so good that we couldn't just wait," Bass said via phone Tuesday. "I didn't know if we were one of the candidates in the pool at that time. There was just no communication."

Where was Martin? One source places him in Florida, at the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo. Wherever he was, he didn't call back.

We all know what happened next.

ESPN began reporting Saturday morning that Miles had reached a deal with Michigan. Miles' LSU players began to plaintively ask him at pre-game chapel at the team hotel if he was leaving them for the Wolverines.

Miles, irate at the erroneous report, told LSU officials he was staying, then called an angry pre-game news conference to rip ESPN and say he'd never talked to anyone about leaving. Soon afterward, LSU issued a press release saying he'd agreed in principal to a new contract.

That was it, game over.

Miles wasn't coming to Michigan.

And while some in the media tried to portray the former Michigan offensive guard as a cynical all-about-the-money guy who'd just used his alma mater and the memory of Bo Schembechler to leverage maximum bank out of LSU, the truth was, he'd essentially done what Michigan wouldn't do.

He called home. Twice.

"He will always love Michigan," Bass said. "It's a place that's very special in his heart. This has been very tough on him."

Why didn't Martin call back? Why hadn't he called Bass already, to set something up, particularly after LSU's athletic director said in a printed report that he had no problem with Martin calling the agent?

Was he at the beach? Out sailing?

Martin did not return a message left on his cell phone Tuesday, and Michigan spokesperson Bruce Madej said the athletic director was attending a football awards dinner in New York. Martin did e-mail that he was "on a fund raising trip for football stadium. Also working on coach search."

There are really only a few explanations for what happened with Miles, though, none of them very good.

Maybe Martin is so old school he refused to deal with an agent.

Maybe Martin believed Michigan is such a special job that Miles would wait as long as was necessary to talk to him.

Or maybe, it was all a show. Perhaps Martin never really wanted to hire Miles, and asked permission to speak to the LSU coach simply to appease the former Michigan players and the legions of fans who were clamoring for the big-name candidate who bled maize and blue. Perhaps he was also scared off by reports that LSU would pay more than $3 million annually to keep Miles (Michigan, by comparison, paid Carr about half that).

It's hard to say which of those truths would be worse.

The first two mean Martin is in over his head and bumbled away his shot at Miles.

And if it was a show, why?

Why not have the courage of your convictions and publicly rule Miles out? Was it in hope that Miles - encountering silence from Michigan - would take Martin off the hook and rule himself out by taking the LSU deal?

What's clear is that Michigan's athletic director, intentionally or unintentionally, appears to have waited away any chance he had of hiring Les Miles.

And that Miles, in the aftermath, has been unfairly portrayed as being all about the big contract and nothing more.

Well, yeah, LSU showed him the money.

But before Miles agreed to take it, he asked Michigan to show him the love, to show him something - anything really - that indicated he would be the next Wolverines' coach.

He got silence in return.

Maybe by design.

Staying at LSU suddenly makes all the sense in the world.

You sure can't say the same about Michigan's search for a new football coach right now.

I wanted to post this story. This has been circulating around a few of the local papers. If true, this is crazy that Martin could not be reached. This is only the biggest move the UM program has had in the last 20 years!

Tim

December 5th, 2007, 12:59 pm
RIP Killer

December 5th, 2007, 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next