View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2014, 4:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Candidates to replace Carr 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Don't know how I didn't notice this till now, but this has been reported.

Quote:
Report: Miles' LSU contract on hold until after game
The Detroit News
Les Miles' new contract at LSU will not be formally approved and signed until after the Tigers' national championship game on Jan. 7, the Times-Picayune of New Orleans is reporting.

Miles agreed to stay at LSU last week and angrily announced his decision on Saturday morning, debunking an ESPN report that he would be Michigan's next coach.

LSU athletic director Skip Bertman said LSU's appearance in the national title game meant that details of the contract had to be put on hold.

Bertman said the delay does not mean Miles is reconsidering his decision to stay at LSU.

"I don't think there's any problem with that," Bertman is quoted as saying in the Times-Picayune.

LSU is a six-point favorite against Ohio State in the national championship game in New Orleans.

The newspaper reported that Miles' new contract is likely to include an annual salary between $2.6 and $3.4 million, though that could increase if the Tigers win the national championship.

Interesting. Looks like Miles may still make that move to UM.

Tim

December 6th, 2007, 3:16 pm

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 06052/1054

Tim

December 6th, 2007, 5:57 pm

Allegedly there is still and "out clause" in his contract. From what i understand his old contract expired Dec. 31st... I have to believe they strong-armed him into signing this deal by dangling over his head the coaching of the national championship game...

That said, I beleive U of M when they say that Les Miles isn't their first choice guy... I believe U of M when they say that they haven't contacted him... As dumb as it seems given Les Miles' success... I really don't think that U of M wants him all that badly...

December 6th, 2007, 7:23 pm
NFL Team Captain

ScrewMiles! He used us and did a good job of it. I hear that the Rutgers coach was the latest to interview.

Seriously who do you guys think is going to be the next HC or should we call Llyod back?

December 7th, 2007, 2:08 am

They are saying Schiano from Rutgers may get offered the job as soon as today. I've said all along this is the only other candidate that would excite me. I hope he gets offered the job.

On a side note, they are reporting that Sean Payton of the Saints has been contacted to see if he has any interest in the job. That one kind of surprised me. But I sure wouldn't be opposed to having him.

Tim

December 7th, 2007, 10:17 am
Modmin Dude

On a side note, they are reporting that Sean Payton of the Saints has been contacted to see if he has any interest in the job. That one kind of surprised me. But I sure wouldn't be opposed to having him.

I've heard a couple other NFL names mentioned as well: Marvin Lewis, John Fox and Mike Shanahan.....
I don't know how true any of it is, but it would be interesting if Michigan were able to get an NFL coach.

December 7th, 2007, 10:20 am

WTF! Well, forget Schiano as well. He was offered the job but turned it down. Unfreakenbelievable!

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... /712070408

Tim

December 7th, 2007, 10:54 am
I don't know what everyone is so frustrated about, really...

1) U of M apparently never had any interest in Les Miles. Lloyd Carr doesn't like him. He has character issues. He has coaching issues (not preprared, over-penalized, etc.), and U of M seemingly wanted to go a different way.

2) He wasn't our first choice candidate, so why say U of M dropped the ball?

3) Why does it make U of M "arrogant" just because they didn't want a coach that the average layman thought was perfect for them? Just because Les Miles has had some success, and just because he is a "U of M guy" at heart, doesn't mean we should have hired him. To say that U of M is arrogant because they didn't want him, is akin to saying that Matt Millen would have been arrogant for not wanting Mooch (if he had)... And we all know how that experiment turned out... It is really the EXACT same situation... A "Michigan" guy that has ties here, and has had some success in another program... It doesn't always translate...

4) Who cares if Les Miles "used us"... He used us to screw his current club... and that can only help us... He took a TON of money from there system, and mostly likely more than he would have gotten had he and his agent not played the "U of M card." But, that doesn't hurt us in any way, it only helps us that LSU has less money to perpetuate their system and update their facilities.

5) I LOVE the idea of bringing Schiano here... And if that's their "first choice" guy... I'm all for it. He's young, energetic, and ran a good ship at Rutgers.

Bottom line... Calm down and stop getting all worked up about this Les Miles crap... Apparently the University wasn't ever big on him anyhow...

December 7th, 2007, 10:58 am

5) I LOVE the idea of bringing Schiano here... And if that's their "first choice" guy... I'm all for it. He's young, energetic, and ran a good ship at Rutgers.

That is why I posted the last thing, wjb. Schiano was offered and turned down the job as well! He would rather stay at Rutgers. RUTGERS!!!???

Tim

December 7th, 2007, 11:44 am

Apparently, me and Terry Foster share the same thoughts.......who knew?

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/blogs/ ... /index.cfm

Tim

December 7th, 2007, 11:45 am
QB Coach

To me this whole situation just illustrates a problem that a lot of college football programs have (and yes I include ND in this group). They are living in the past, trying to get by on their tradition. Yes I know U of M has the most wins in college football history and they've gone to a lot of bowls recently. That's all well and good, but the bottom line for any school that wants to be considered elite is national championships, or at least contending for one, and to a lesser degree bowl game wins. So, if you look at UM over the past 5 years, they've finished the year as follows:

2002: Outback Bowl vs. FL Won 38-30 Finished Ranked #9
2003: Rose Bowl vs. USC Lost 14-28 Finished Ranked #6
2004: Rose Bowl vs. Texas Lost 37-38 Finished Ranked #14
2005: Alamo Bowl vs. Nebraska Lost 28-32 Finished Unranked
2006: Rose Bowl vs. USC Lost 18-32 Finished Ranked #8

Then this year they are unranked again heading into their bowl game. For a team that is often considered one of the preseason favorites to contend for the national championship, these are not acceptable results. And for better or worse, college football has very much become a "what have you done for me lately" type of game. The fact is that since they won the national title in 1997 they haven't finished ranked higher than #5 (average final rank is #12.7) and their record in bowl games is 4-5. Those are not elite level results. They are very good results, but not elite.

IMO, Michigan needs to swallow their pride a bit, pony up the cash, and find a good coach who is really motivated to bring them back to contending for the national title. They won't get by on the whole "We're Michigan, you should want to coach for us" type of mentality. It just doesn't work anymore.

EDIT:

Oh yeah one more thing. I don't get why Carr is being involved in the search for a new coach??? Why would you let the guy who couldn't get the job done have a say in who is successor will be? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Last edited by Touchdown Jesus on December 7th, 2007, 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 7th, 2007, 2:01 pm
RIP Killer

To me this whole situation just illustrates a problem that a lot of college football programs have (and yes I include ND in this group). They are living in the past, trying to get by on their tradition. Yes I know U of M has the most wins in college football history and they've gone to a lot of bowls recently. That's all well and good, but the bottom line for any school that wants to be considered elite is national championships, or at least contending for one, and to a lesser degree bowl game wins. So, if you look at UM over the past 5 years, they've finished the year as follows:

2002: Outback Bowl vs. FL Won 38-30 Finished Ranked #9
2003: Rose Bowl vs. USC Lost 14-28 Finished Ranked #6
2004: Rose Bowl vs. Texas Lost 37-38 Finished Ranked #14
2005: Alamo Bowl vs. Nebraska Lost 28-32 Finished Unranked
2006: Rose Bowl vs. USC Lost 18-32 Finished Ranked #8

Then this year they are unranked again heading into their bowl game. For a team that is often considered one of the preseason favorites to contend for the national championship, these are not acceptable results. And for better or worse, college football has very much become a "what have you done for me lately" type of game. The fact is that since they won the national title in 1997 they haven't finished ranked higher than #5 (average final rank is #12.7) and their record in bowl games is 4-5. Those are not elite level results. They are very good results, but not elite.

IMO, Michigan needs to swallow their pride a bit, pony up the cash, and find a good coach who is really motivated to bring them back to contending for the national title. They won't get by on the whole "We're Michigan, you should want to coach for us" type of mentality. It just doesn't work anymore.

That was put prefectly...

December 7th, 2007, 2:08 pm

I agree with you guys. Bill Martin is making Michigan look incompetent. It has been reported that Martin low balled Schiano and actually offered him LESS than what he was making at Rutgers! The offer was for $1.1 million. Schiano had initially accepted the offer but had a change of heart. Gee, I wonder why? Bill Martin needs to get with the here and now or step aside and let someone else handle this.

Tim

December 7th, 2007, 2:46 pm
RIP Killer

I agree with you guys. Bill Martin is making Michigan look incompetent. It has been reported that Martin low balled Schiano and actually offered him LESS than what he was making at Rutgers! The offer was for $1.1 million. Schiano had initially accepted the offer but had a change of heart. Gee, I wonder why? Bill Martin needs to get with the here and now or step aside and let someone else handle this.

Wow, they thought they could get him for less money? Are they nuts?

December 7th, 2007, 3:11 pm

Wow, they thought they could get him for less money? Are they nuts?

Apparently so. Martin is making UM look like clowns. All we need is the makeup and red nose. Even better, how about a dunce cap. Go sit in the corner please, Bill. Everyone is laughing at UM right now.

Tim

December 7th, 2007, 3:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next