View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 25th, 2014, 8:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Pryor's cousin trying to convince him to join UM 
RIP Killer

COULD NO. 1 RECRUIT TERRELLE PRYOR BE A BUST?: A look at past top-ranked recruits
January 15, 2008

By SCOTT BELL

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

If Michigan gets its coveted commitment from Terrelle Pryor, the nation's No. 1 recruit according to Rivals.com, is the dual-threat quarterback guaranteed to be a star?

Most people who have seen Pryor play would say yes. But history isn't exactly on their side.

Over the past five seasons, no top-ranked quarterback has received All-American honors. Only Georgia's Matthew Stafford, 2006's top-ranked signal caller, has come close to reaching his potential. In his second season under center, Stafford led the Bulldogs to an 11-2 season highlighted by a Sugar Bowl victory this month.

2004’s top QB, Oklahoma's Rhett Bomar (class of 2004), isn't even playing major college football. He was dismissed from the Sooners after his freshman season for taking "payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked.” Bomar made more than $18,000 in the summer of 2005 while working just five hours a week. He had to sit out the 2006 season after transferring to Sam Houston State. He played in nine games this season, highlighted by wins over Arkansas-Monticello and Angelo State, before suffering a season-ending injury.

Southern Cal's Mark Sanchez (2005) has stuck behind Heisman candidate John David Booty for the past two seasons. With two years of eligibility remaining, Sanchez now has to battle Arkansas transfer Mitch Mustain for the Trojans' starting spot next season.

Kyle Wright, 2003's top quarterback, never reached his potential. The Miami Hurricanes quarterback ended his disappointing career by throwing for 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions as a senior in 2007.

But unlike the four cases above, Pryor is ranked the No. 1 overall recruit and No.1 overall QB – just like Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen (2007). Clausen struggled for most of his freshman year behind one of the nation's most unstable offensive lines. But his numbers weren’t as ugly as the Irish's record last season.

TOP RECRUITS Here are the nation's top recruits over the past five years and their stats. The top-ranked quarterback of the class is listed first, along with his overall ranking. The class' No. 1 overall prospect is in parentheses.

2003's top quarterback: Kyle Wright, Miami (FL) (No. 5) (overall: Ernie Sims, Florida State)
2004 stats: 5-9, 30 yards. 0 touchdowns, 0 interceptions.
2005 stats: 180-307, 2403 yards. 18 touchdowns, 10 interceptions.
2006 stats: 152-250, 1655 yards. 8 touchdowns, 7 interceptions.
2007 stats: 141-241, 1747 yards. 12 touchdowns, 14 interceptions.

2004's top quarterback: Rhett Bomar, Oklahoma (No. 4) (overall: Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma)
2005 stats: (Oklahoma) 167-308, 2018 yards. 10 touchdowns, 10 interceptions.
2007 stats: (Sam Houston State) 172-291, 2209 yards. 10 touchdowns, 6 interceptions.

2005's top quarterback: Mark Sanchez, Southern Cal (No. 7) (overall: Derrick Williams, Penn State)
2006 stats: 3-7, 63 yards. 0 touchdowns, 1 interception.
2007 stats: 69-114, 695 yards. 7 touchdowns, 5 interceptions.

2006's top quarterback: Matthew Stafford, Georgia (No. 6) (overall: Percy Harvin, Florida)
2006 stats: 135-256, 1749 yards. 7 touchdowns, 13 interceptions.
2007 stats: 194-348, 2523 yards. 19 touchdowns, 10 interceptions.

2007's top quarterback: Jimmy Clausen, Notre Dame (No. 1) (overall: Clausen)
2007 stats: 138-245, 1254 yards. 7 touchdowns, 6 interceptions.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080115/SPORTS06/80115002/1054

January 15th, 2008, 10:23 am
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Top-rated Pryor to visit U-M this weekend
Angelique S. Chengelis The Detroit News
Quarterback Terrelle Pryor, the nation's top-rated high school player, will now visit Michigan earlier than scheduled.

Pryor will take his official visit to Michigan this weekend, beginning on Friday, according to a report on Rivals.com. He originally was scheduled to visit Feb. 1.

"I was supposed to go to Penn State (on Friday), but that's changed," Pryor told the website. "I'm not really sure where I'm going on Jan. 25 and if I'll even take a visit in February. Right now it's Michigan as the only one scheduled."

Clearly, Pryor has become the major recruiting focus for new Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez, who plans to install the spread at U-M, and Pryor is the type of dual-threat quarterback that fits in his style of offense. Rodriguez said last Friday that he only has two quarterbacks on scholarship and would like to carry five.

Pryor reportedly is considering visiting either Florida, Oregon or LSU -- the national champions are a late addition to the Pryor recruiting scene -- on Jan. 25.

"I wouldn't say they're as high up as the others, because I am just learning about them, but I like what they're talking about in changing the offense for me," Pryor said of LSU.

Many consider Ohio State to be No. 1 on Pryor's list, but he told Rivals.com he doesn't have a leader. He will make his decision known on signing day, Feb. 6.

January 16th, 2008, 10:35 am
RIP Killer

His schedule just keeps getting jumbled. He is heading for Oregon, I heard LSU and a few are actually off his list.

January 16th, 2008, 10:55 am

Don't ask me how I know, but Terrelle Pryor is coming to Michigan! He still plans on going to LSU next weekend and possibly another school after that, but he has made up his mind. Unfortunately, he won't announce his intentions until Feb 6th. Doubt me if you wish, but you'll see on National Signing Day. Then again, if a certain someone doesn't keep his stupid mouth shut before then, everybody will know.

January 20th, 2008, 1:02 pm
RIP Killer

Don't ask me how I know, but Terrelle Pryor is coming to Michigan! He still plans on going to LSU next weekend and possibly another school after that, but he has made up his mind. Unfortunately, he won't announce his intentions until Feb 6th. Doubt me if you wish, but you'll see on National Signing Day. Then again, if a certain someone doesn't keep his stupid mouth shut before then, everybody will know.

I am in the air on who he is going to pick. In the end I could see him picking the team that will have an offense built completely around his strengths were he is going to shine right away.

Personnely if I were him I'd go to a school that would groom me to be an NFL style QB so I don't bust like V. Young and Mike Vick(I do consider them bust at QB, sue me, lol). I don't think RR system will do that, while OSU's will.

In the end I wish him the best, but I hear from both sides that someone knows someone that knows he is going to pick(insert TSUN or OSU)...

January 20th, 2008, 1:19 pm
slybri19 wrote:

I am in the air on who he is going to pick. In the end I could see him picking the team that will have an offense built completely around his strengths were he is going to shine right away.

Personnely if I were him I'd go to a school that would groom me to be an NFL style QB so I don't bust like V. Young and Mike Vick(I do consider them bust at QB, sue me, lol). I don't think RR system will do that, while OSU's will.

In the end I wish him the best, but I hear from both sides that someone knows someone that knows he is going to pick(insert TSUN or OSU)...

I think you mean bust like Troy Smith...

Both Vick and Young made millions have had good careers in the NFL...

January 20th, 2008, 6:16 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
slybri19 wrote:

I think you mean bust like Troy Smith...

Both Vick and Young made millions have had good careers in the NFL...

I know you are smarter than to judge NFL careers of two QB's that havn't been in the NFL more than twp years...

Vick is a bust, plain and simple. He was probably on his way out in Atlanta at some point, the poor guy could throw the ball a mile just couldn't get it to the WR. That is the difference playing in a system that teaches you to throw the ball rather than just run it. Carr would have done the same, but he's gone now.

I never knew draft status was a a sign of your NFL career? Thought that you'd be smarter than that WJB..

January 21st, 2008, 10:08 am
Where did you see me evaluate anyone based upon their draft status? I thought you'd be "smart enough" to know that I didn't base my analysis on any one criteria.

January 21st, 2008, 11:18 am
RIP Killer

Where did you see me evaluate anyone based upon their draft status? I thought you'd be "smart enough" to know that I didn't base my analysis on any one criteria.

Young and Troy can't be evaluated as bust or not. You can go back to see who can throw the ball and who can't, but you called Smith a bust and he has waited patiently to learn the NFL and hopefully one day start full time. Young has proven so far that in the Texas offense he didn't learn how to throw the ball, his big knock is his throwing ability. That isn't the knock on Troy. Young is physically gifted beyond most people in the NFL, he just didn't learn what he needed to be a good NFl passer.

Pryor could jump into RR system and do great in college, even beat OSU once RR gets the players he wants in place. But when it comes to preparing for the NFL, that system, the exact opposite of the NFL, is going to inhibit him learning how to sit in the pocket and throw the ball. Vick never learned it, he never learned to be a passer.

Hopefully someone can resurrect Young still yet, he has plenty of years left. But for now he just isn't a passer. Troy Smith on the other hand came in as an "athlete" and came out as a great passer. He just isn't tall enough to be outstanding in the NFL.

January 21st, 2008, 11:40 am
wjb21ndtown wrote:

Young and Troy can't be evaluated as bust or not. You can go back to see who can throw the ball and who can't, but you called Smith a bust and he has waited patiently to learn the NFL and hopefully one day start full time. Young has proven so far that in the Texas offense he didn't learn how to throw the ball, his big knock is his throwing ability. That isn't the knock on Troy. Young is physically gifted beyond most people in the NFL, he just didn't learn what he needed to be a good NFl passer.

Pryor could jump into RR system and do great in college, even beat OSU once RR gets the players he wants in place. But when it comes to preparing for the NFL, that system, the exact opposite of the NFL, is going to inhibit him learning how to sit in the pocket and throw the ball. Vick never learned it, he never learned to be a passer.

Hopefully someone can resurrect Young still yet, he has plenty of years left. But for now he just isn't a passer. Troy Smith on the other hand came in as an "athlete" and came out as a great passer. He just isn't tall enough to be outstanding in the NFL.

Now you're just being stupid...

All you wanted to do was bash something unintelligibly (that Pryor shouldn't go to U of M, but he SHOULD go to OSU), and now you've contradicted yourself...

steensn wrote:

YOU called Vince Young a bust, NOT me... Now you say that I'm stupid (or "not intelligent enough") for calling someone a bust after they've been in the NFL for two seasons (when iI'm not the one that called Young a bust to begin with), all because I pointed out a fatal flaw in your argument... That Troy Smith is from the OSU system, he was drafted to play a "special role" most likely at WR, and he's only Qb'ed for a few games out of necessity.

:roll: Pay attention to your own arguments, even if you apparently don't beleive them...

January 21st, 2008, 11:56 am
RIP Killer

WJB, I'm not trying to make this a big deal. I mispoke when I put Young with Vick in the bust catagory, shoulda proofread it. My point is that neither Young nor Vick learned how to be a great passer in their college offensive systems. I'm not trying to say why he shoul pick OSU specifically, I am more talking about picking a system that will teach him to be a passer, ie UofM's old system before RR that produced a but load of great NFL QB's, LSU's would be a good offense to learn how to pass from(he's visited there already), etc. There are lots of programs that he could go to an learn how to be a good passer so that when he is drafted he is more of a solid passer, not just a runner.

Young right now is JUST a runner. Vick never became a passer in all his years. Both didn't come out of college as strong passers. All I am saying is thatt either Pryor can go to a school where his running is going to be the key aspect of the offense, ie UofM or Oregon where he says he wants to visit. Both are going to get him a first overall draft pick if he lives up to the hype. The other option is he can go to a school with an offense that will teach him to throw the ball and make the transition to the NFL better because the learning curve will be a little easier translating to an NFL offense, ie. OSU, LSU, etc.

Neither one is a bad choice for you college career. Neither one is going to hurt or help his draft status if he truely is as good as everyone thinks he is. But picking your college offense absolutaly effects the way he will learn how to pass or not.

January 21st, 2008, 12:17 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

YOU called Vince Young a bust, NOT me... Now you say that I'm stupid (or "not intelligent enough") for calling someone a bust after they've been in the NFL for two seasons (when iI'm not the one that called Young a bust to begin with), all because I pointed out a fatal flaw in your argument... That Troy Smith is from the OSU system, he was drafted to play a "special role" most likely at WR, and he's only Qb'ed for a few games out of necessity.

:roll: Pay attention to your own arguments, even if you apparently don't beleive them...

I absolutaly didn't mean to imply you were stupid or that you were calling Young a bust. I was talking about Troy Smith who was no drafted for a special role or for a QB for a few games. Infact he started a game last year where he beat the Steelers, a pretty darn good team. All I was getting at is that you tried to "point out a flaw" by picking one QB that physically cannot stand up to Young or Vick. Physically Smith isn't tall enough to see over lineman. That was Troy Smith's issue in the draft, not his abilities to throw the ball or run the ball, in which throwing the ball he is heads above Vick and Young out of college. Butt physically, if Young had learned how to pass in college, he'd be a lot better off than where he is now...

January 21st, 2008, 12:23 pm

I agree with steensn here that Troy Smith fell in the draft because of his height (6 foot or something like that). In addition, he wasn't as fast or athletic as Vick or Young either. He was, however, a better passer than the other two. Terrelle Pryor is 6'6", so if he develops as a passer as his skills suggest that he can, he could be a first round pick regardless of which school he attends.

January 21st, 2008, 6:25 pm
RIP Killer

I agree with steensn here that Troy Smith fell in the draft because of his height (6 foot or something like that). In addition, he wasn't as fast or athletic as Vick or Young either. He was, however, a better passer than the other two. Terrelle Pryor is 6'6", so if he develops as a passer as his skills suggest that he can, he could be a first round pick regardless of which school he attends.

Whew, I thought I was just being a OSU homer...

Pryor will be a first rounder no matter what as long as he lives up to the hype, I just don't think he will be the best QB he can be in a RR type system coming out of college. It's not about schools, I would say he would of had a better chance of being an NFL quality QB under UofM's old style, look at all the good QB's that came out of there.

In the end Pryor is going to pick where he feels more comfortable and where he can get the most exposure. All the schools in question can be that stage, it's just some are going to handle how they use Pryor and how they teaach him to be a QB.

If Young and Vick were in UofM or OSU during their tenure in college, I would bet both would have come out as better throwing QB's. Smith didn't have close to the same physical abilities as either player, but he became the Heisman winner because he could throw the ball VERY well. He has shown promise in the two games he started in throwing no int's and 2 TD's, rushing for around 25 yards in each game(little over 4 yards a carry). That is pretty darn good on an absolutaly horrible Ravens team against a very good Steelers team. Young's arguably best game was a 2 TD performance, for 191 yards and 32 yards rushing against KC of all teams.

Young had 13 ints last year and 17 this year. Those are not stats of a good passer coming out of college. Pryor can either make a decition for big money the first day or try and get the big money the first day and have a shorter learning curver to boot. Either way, if he is that good he is going to get drafted the first round no matter what, along with having a very good college career at whatever school he picks.

January 21st, 2008, 6:48 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Don't ask me how I know, but Terrelle Pryor is coming to Michigan! He still plans ooing to LSU next weekend and possibly another school after that, but he has made up his mind. Unfortunately, he won't announce his intentions until Feb 6th. Doubt me if you wish, but you'll see on National Signing Day. Then again, if a certain someone doesn't keep his stupid mouth shut before then, everybody will know.

Damnit Sly, don't get me excited! And I know you said don't ask, but HOW do you know this? Please give me something.

Tim

January 21st, 2008, 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next