HARD HITTING DETROIT LIONS FORUM
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/

What does everyone thing of RR recruiting tactics?
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10876
Page 2 of 2

Author:  illinoiseric [ April 9th, 2008, 8:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

steensn wrote:
But I think the difference between playing by the rules and playing by gentlemans rules is the whole point that their aren't official rules for that, lol. You can't call written dowwn rules gentleman's rules if they are explicitely there.

When did being a gentleman mean you just at minimum have to play by the official rules and laws? That is a sad statement if that is the case.


You're right there are often cultural aspects that drive norms of behavior without written rules - but that's why I made the point about "people coming in from other places" that may do things differently. Some of these new coaches may have "learned" from their previous experiences that being a gentleman in an ungentlemanly game isn't going to get them anywhere. Now they're implementing what they've learned in our traditional old Big 10 environment & it makes us uncomfortable.

In reality, it is understandable why these things are happening. With turnover of coaches, multi-million dollar contracts & instant high-stakes pressure to win ... the rah-rah days of gentlemanly behavior & sincere, long-term rivalries between coaches seems antiquated. I'm not saying I like it - I'm just saying it "is".

Author:  steensn [ April 10th, 2008, 8:44 am ]
Post subject: 

Interesting thoughts from a Bucknuts forum:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
On his national radio show Colin Cowherd was talking about Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez not honoring the "gentlemen's" agreement to stop recruiting prospects that have committed to other Big Ten schools. Cowherd mentioned Jim Tressel's comment at his preview luncheon regarding 'only among gentlemen.' Cowherd said the Big Ten can use more guys like Rodriguez who recruit to the end so that the conference would be stronger.


That's the thing I love about Cowherd, he spouts off and his arguments/logic inherently don't make sense.

Let's say TSUN needed a spread QB and so did UofI. They both go for the same guy. UofI gets him, but RR still recruits him, as opposed to focusing on another QB. The QB eventually switches his commitment to UM, and now UofI is left scrambling to fill that void, with a player substandard to the original recruit, they already thought they had locked down. Wouldn't the B10 be better off had RR recruited another top flight spread QB who had committed to say WVU or UF and let UofI have their man? Wouldn't that make the B10 stronger?

Pulling commits from other B10 schools weakens the other schools in your conference. If you want to strengthen the conference, recruit and "steal" commits from the SEC, ACC, Pac 10, etc.

Maybe that is just the economist in me speaking, but Cowherd's opinion does not benefit the greater good of the B10, just each individual school, which is fine. RR has a responsibility to field the best team he can, but don't cite it as making the B10 stronger.

I hate Cowherd.

Author:  Touchdown Jesus [ April 10th, 2008, 9:48 am ]
Post subject: 

steensn wrote:
Interesting thoughts from a Bucknuts forum:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
On his national radio show Colin Cowherd was talking about Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez not honoring the "gentlemen's" agreement to stop recruiting prospects that have committed to other Big Ten schools. Cowherd mentioned Jim Tressel's comment at his preview luncheon regarding 'only among gentlemen.' Cowherd said the Big Ten can use more guys like Rodriguez who recruit to the end so that the conference would be stronger.


That's the thing I love about Cowherd, he spouts off and his arguments/logic inherently don't make sense.

Let's say TSUN needed a spread QB and so did UofI. They both go for the same guy. UofI gets him, but RR still recruits him, as opposed to focusing on another QB. The QB eventually switches his commitment to UM, and now UofI is left scrambling to fill that void, with a player substandard to the original recruit, they already thought they had locked down. Wouldn't the B10 be better off had RR recruited another top flight spread QB who had committed to say WVU or UF and let UofI have their man? Wouldn't that make the B10 stronger?

Pulling commits from other B10 schools weakens the other schools in your conference. If you want to strengthen the conference, recruit and "steal" commits from the SEC, ACC, Pac 10, etc.

Maybe that is just the economist in me speaking, but Cowherd's opinion does not benefit the greater good of the B10, just each individual school, which is fine. RR has a responsibility to field the best team he can, but don't cite it as making the B10 stronger.

I hate Cowherd.

I have no horse in this race. As I'm sure everyone can tell, I'm a ND fan so the strength or weakness of the Big Ten doesn't really mean anything to me. That being said, the people who are complaining about this are whiney little bitches. No coach in the Big Ten (or any other conference for that matter) has any loyalty or duty to anyone except the school they work for. If a player hasn't signed yet, then they haven't committed yet. Saying you're going to do something, and then changing your mind, is part of life. Get over it. Sheesh.

Author:  slybri19 [ April 10th, 2008, 1:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

illinoiseric wrote:
steensn wrote:
But I think the difference between playing by the rules and playing by gentlemans rules is the whole point that their aren't official rules for that, lol. You can't call written dowwn rules gentleman's rules if they are explicitely there.

When did being a gentleman mean you just at minimum have to play by the official rules and laws? That is a sad statement if that is the case.


You're right there are often cultural aspects that drive norms of behavior without written rules - but that's why I made the point about "people coming in from other places" that may do things differently. Some of these new coaches may have "learned" from their previous experiences that being a gentleman in an ungentlemanly game isn't going to get them anywhere. Now they're implementing what they've learned in our traditional old Big 10 environment & it makes us uncomfortable.

In reality, it is understandable why these things are happening. With turnover of coaches, multi-million dollar contracts & instant high-stakes pressure to win ... the rah-rah days of gentlemanly behavior & sincere, long-term rivalries between coaches seems antiquated. I'm not saying I like it - I'm just saying it "is".

Very well said and I couldn't agree more. In addition, I understand that this works both ways so you won't see me complaining if Sweater Vest steal a UM commit, unless he exceeds the NCAA salary cap or something like that in doing so. :lol:

Author:  BillySims [ April 10th, 2008, 10:08 pm ]
Post subject: 

I suppose there isn't some unwritten gentleman's agreement about accepting a player, with open arms, that has started for another big 10 team for 3 years.

BOO HOO Tressell.

Author:  steensn [ April 10th, 2008, 10:30 pm ]
Post subject: 

BillySims wrote:
I suppose there isn't some unwritten gentleman's agreement about accepting a player, with open arms, that has started for another big 10 team for 3 years.

BOO HOO Tressell.


I don't think Tressel is teh one boohooing when he got the best of the bunch...

Author:  Touchdown Jesus [ April 10th, 2008, 10:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

steensn wrote:
BillySims wrote:
I suppose there isn't some unwritten gentleman's agreement about accepting a player, with open arms, that has started for another big 10 team for 3 years.

BOO HOO Tressell.


I don't think Tressel is teh one boohooing when he got the best of the bunch...

He absolutely is the one boo hooing. He's the one who complained about the "gentlemen's agreement" being broken.

Author:  slybri19 [ April 10th, 2008, 11:09 pm ]
Post subject: 

One would think that the originator of this thread would know who started the boo-hooing in the first place. Shame on you, Sweater Vest Lover! [-X

Author:  steensn [ April 11th, 2008, 8:32 am ]
Post subject: 

Haha, do you guys even know how this came up? Maybe a little research would help you out...

http://blog.cleveland.com/lesmerises/2008/04/did_jim_tressel_take_a_dig_at.html

It was just a quick funny responce he made with a smile for fun... he coulda said "zing" behind it and everyone woulda laughed. It was more of a joke than anything.

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/