View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 10:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Michigan Spread Offense 
QB Coach

Post Michigan Spread Offense
So what does everyone think now that they've see a taste of the new Michigan?

I noticed an immeadiate difference, and I am not so sure I like it. I think a lot of it had to do with the young inexperienced Qb's though. Thoughts?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

September 1st, 2008, 10:25 am
Hall of Fame Player

This is a change that we really don't have a choice but to give R.R. about 3 years to complete. If after 3 years, the Wolverines don't look any better than they did against the Utes, then R.R. needs to go.

September 1st, 2008, 12:22 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Needless to say, I was very disappointed in their performance. I expected the offense to start out poorly, but I also thought the defense would play better than they did and keep them in the game. The D seemed to turn it around in the second half and that's what I expect to see from them from here on out. The DL, MLB, and CBs are just too good not to.

I have very little faith in the offense to improve much unless RichRod changes up his playcalling. Those were some of the craziest formations that I have ever seen and I don't think any of them worked. They were most effective when they ran up the middle (which rarely happened) or threw a quick slant. The outside runs usually lost yardage and the QBs were too ineffective to throw deep on most occasions. In addition, the OL needs a lot of work. I should also add that Threet should be the QB instead of Sheridan IMO.

September 1st, 2008, 12:34 pm
RIP Killer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I loved it...

GO STATE!

September 1st, 2008, 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Bubbles the Lion

people who know much more than I on the subject are saying that the 2 QBs we saw on Saturday, Sheridan and Threet were drafted into a Lloyd Carr team and a such might not have the athletic ability to cope with Rodriguez's spread ofence - time will tell, and I will still cheer for them

September 2nd, 2008, 9:50 am
people who know much more than I on the subject are saying that the 2 QBs we saw on Saturday, Sheridan and Threet were (recruted for) a Lloyd Carr team and a such might not have the athletic ability to cope with Rodriguez's spread ofence - time will tell, and I will still cheer for them

Everyone knows that... IMO that's not the biggest problem though. IMO the biggest problem isn't Sheridan's and Threets shortcomings with their physical ability, their problems stem primarily from their lack of experience and their immaturity. Neither Qb kept cool under pressure, and neither Qb handled the OL's horrible play very well.

That said, IMO it's the OL more so than our Qb's that are killing us... We can't run the ball to help out our inexperienced Qb's, and that's killing us.

September 2nd, 2008, 12:35 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

I have very little faith in the offense to improve much unless RichRod changes up his playcalling.

He won't. Ever. :wink:

You won't see much variety in the plays--he just needs superior athletes in the skill positions (especially QB) who can outrun the defense. He'll get them eventually but this year is going to be rough.

September 2nd, 2008, 12:47 pm

Great comeback by Michigan yesterday. I had pretty much written them off in the first half because their offense was putrid. They had something like 5 turnovers and 20 total yards at the half and Threet was 2-10 for -7 yards and 2 interceptions. If it wasn't for their defense, it would have been much worse than 19-0 at that time.

In the 2nd half, Michigan finally started completing some passes downfield (what a concept) and became more effective running up the middle. In essence, when RichRod forces his system down the players' throats, they're ineffective, but when he adapts his scheme more toward their strengths, they find success. I said that earlier in the season and I can only hope that the stubborn coach realizes this and sticks with it for the remainder of the season. I know that he won't though.

September 28th, 2008, 10:21 am
Great comeback by Michigan yesterday. I had pretty much written them off in the first half because their offense was putrid. They had something like 5 turnovers and 20 total yards at the half and Threet was 2-10 for -7 yards and 2 interceptions. If it wasn't for their defense, it would have been much worse than 19-0 at that time.

In the 2nd half, Michigan finally started completing some passes downfield (what a concept) and became more effective running up the middle. In essence, when RichRod forces his system down the players' throats, they're ineffective, but when he adapts his scheme more toward their strengths, they find success. I said that earlier in the season and I can only hope that the stubborn coach realizes this and sticks with it for the remainder of the season. I know that he won't though.

I went to the game, and it was AWESOME. I sat in Sec. 23 row 19 (50 yard line, pretty damn close to the field), with the players families and recruits. There were four Wisconsin douche bags sitting behind me and they were talking MAD trash during the first 1/2. They were arrogant azzholes to say the least. It was great coming back and watching them (and making them) eat all that ISH that they talked!!!

That said, we NEED to pass the damn ball more. I said it time and time again in the first 1/2 that we NEED to air the ball out some, even if we don't connect, just to spread out the D and show them that we're willing to throw it deep. Threet has a big arm, and we need to show it. He isn't that accuract, but hopefully that comes with reps.

I was right about our OL, it IS the main problem. Our defense played great. Those Wisconsin guys were cherping about how bad they were beating us in the first 1/2, to which I replied, anyone happy about being up 19 and having 12 tries to do it, on a D that was playing against 3 and outs, is utterly pathetic.

Great game, great win for Rich Rod. I'm happy to see him get it. Should be a big boost for our squad, and we're only going to get better throughout the season.

September 28th, 2008, 12:55 pm
Walk On

Went to Central Michigan's home game this weekend against buffalo. I'm pretty sure they run a better Spread/Option offense than Michigan does. They have players that know the system better and Dan Lefevor is the bomb. So that helps.

That being said it feels good to beat the badgers and bring some respect back to the BIG HOUSE! Still I'm not really concerned bout the rest of the season just as long as we beat the bucks. Angers me all year when we lose to those pricks. :x

September 28th, 2008, 11:35 pm

Wjb, I agree with you about the OL being a huge problem, but I've noticed something. They are much better at pass protection than they are at run blocking. It seems that they lack the strength to move people in the running game, but they have the quickness to stay with pass rushers and keep them off the QB. Don't get me wrong, they aren't great at it, but atleast it's better than when they attempt to use brute strength, which obviosly doesn't work.

September 29th, 2008, 2:17 am
What an embarrassing day for the program..

October 11th, 2008, 4:02 pm
RIP Killer

GO ROCKETS!!! My alma mater just beat UM, woot woot! What a great game!

October 11th, 2008, 5:53 pm

I've given up on them for this year. In fact, I ended up watching more of the Texas-Oklahoma game than I did that fiasco. I knew that this would be a rebuilding year, but I expected them to improve as the season went along. Unfortunately, they appear to be getting worse. Hell, they can't even kick a 26 yard FG to send the game to OT! Geez!

October 12th, 2008, 8:53 am
RIP Killer

wjb21ndtown wrote:

GO ROCKETS!!! My alma mater just beat UM, woot woot! What a great game!

Congrats steesn. Your 111th ranked defense shut down that spread offense. Spread as in spread the points to the other team. One TD for Mich against Toledo? And that one was even in doubt.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW #23 MSU 37 (5-0) Northwestern 20

October 12th, 2008, 9:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next