View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 31st, 2014, 9:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Notre Dame 
RIP Killer

Post Notre Dame
Quote:
Urban Meyer Shows Notre Dame the Way To Brian Kelly
by Marc Halsted Correspondent
Doug Benc/Getty Images
Somebody needs to send a thank you card to Urban Meyer for helping the University of Notre Dame prevent the ever-embarrassing disappointment of repeated first refusal.
Amidst the coaching carousel that has become the Notre Dame football program, the pains of junior high awkwardness have taken up permanent residence.

If you look closely during the Friday night dance, you'll see the confidant Texan left all by himself, the little man from Stanford who’s as attractive as leprosy, the lying sonofagun from Georgia Tech who's cowering in the corner, and everybody's last choice, the brazen hometown kid who nobody wants to dance with for reasons too many to count.

It started with the Bob Davie experiment, and a first-time coach with a great defensive background, and “pound the ball” offensive mindset, but the offensive creativity of a Pop Warner coach.

There was the George O’Leary episode with more half-truths than a Jack Bauer interrogation.

There was the once-promising Age of Ty (Willingham) that began with national title hopes and fell into a mess of poor recruiting, horrid losses, and a cabinet barren of developed talent.

And then there was Charlie Weis. The ND grad drove a veteran Irish team to two BCS bowl games (only to get massacred by far superior programs) before leading ND to one of the worst three-year stretches in the history of the program.

Now it’s time to look forward to a new age in Fighting Irish football. The names have come fast and furiously from the NFL (Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden), major college powers (Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer), and mid-major upstarts (Chris Peterson and Brian Kelly).

This CAN’T go poorly. Nobody wants to be the wallflower beside the snack table, awkwardly sidling up to the next pretty girl in line only to be laughed at, publicly humiliated, and left alone, once again, to stew in their ill-perceived greatness.

In short, move fast, Notre Dame. Urban Meyer did you an enormous favor by twice publicly derailing any rumors, or speculation about a switch from Florida to South Bend. Urban has spent the last 24 hours declaring himself a true Floridian and ending any hope of a papal sojourn to South Bend.

Good, check that name off the list, and thank Urban for the inadvertent guidance.

Ignore the NFL. Unless Tony Dungy comes walking past the Grotto in the next 15 minutes you don’t want any part of the Gruden drama, or the frighteningly familiar thought of a well-regarded offensive or defensive coordinator.

Please do not go through back-channels of the NCAA ego-world and let Stoops, Kirk Ferentz, or Jim Harbaugh embarrass Notre Dame with a loud, public denial of interest.

They just love to boost recruiting by loudly proclaiming their love and dedication for the fine institution they currently coach at. Don’t let them promote themselves at the expense of Our Mother.

Don’t beg, don’t plead, don’t even ask.

Don’t send an undercover agent or special liaison to Gainesville, Norman, or Iowa City and risk a leak to the press that could make ND look even more befuddled or foolish.

No more junior high dances. No more ungainly or clumsy front-page stories. No more bad press. Charlie failed, the talent has not been developed, the Big East losses have piled up, and Jimmy Clausen just got punched. Enough.

It’s time to come strong.

The University of Notre Dame needs a man who has a distinct background, dignified presence, and a defining win-loss record of mostly wins. Most importantly, he must have a definitive devotion to the Dome.

Get the guy who wants to be at Notre Dame. Do it fast. Don’t make a mistake. Calculate your first choice and make it happen, and fast.

Brian Kelly is an Irish Catholic of good New England stock. He’s battled his way from Assumption College to the BCS rankings. He wins. He develops talent. He can talk a blue streak.

Brian Kelly can make Demetrius Jones a linebacker, Tony Pike a quarterback, and Cincinnati the best team in Ohio. I swear, if given the chance he could could sell humility to Rich Rodriguez and arrogance to Mother Teresa.

The man can coach, recruit, and deal with the demands of major college football.

Urban Meyer has done Notre Dame a favor. End the embarrassment now, Jack Swarbrick. Get Brian Kelly on board by next Tuesday night, on the practice field by next Wednesday, and get him to the Roady’s Humanitarian Bowl in Boise in time to lead the Irish to victory over BYU in late December.

Move quickly, Jack. The future of Notre Dame football is depending on it.

Beside the little bolded part I found hilarious... the article makes perfect sense![/quote]

November 24th, 2009, 6:31 pm
QB Coach

Ummm, humility to RR, is this knucklehead serious? I live in the shadow of the urine colored dome. Charlie Weiss is the most pompous as s I've seen in a coach. He arrived on campus at ND saying that he was going to show the rest of college football how to coach. He also stated that he wondered what the rest of college football was going to do since he was bringing his Pro football offense, and they weren't going to be able to stop it.

There is a saying, pride goeth before a fall, and I believe Charlie is getting a little smack down. My grandparents' caretaker works part time at the Athletic Department, and she saw CW coming in as she was leaving. She was polite and said, "have a nice day coach," to which CW reportedly replied, "excuse me, are you one of my players? No? Then you will call me Mr. Weiss."

He needs to go somewhere and polish his rings, they got what they deserved.

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

November 24th, 2009, 11:29 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

Unfortunately, it's appearing more and more likely that Fat Charlie is out and Brian Kelly is in at Notre Dame. I wanted him to replace DickRod, but it's starting to look like that's not going to happen now. :(

November 25th, 2009, 8:16 pm
RIP Killer

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4700891

December 1st, 2009, 11:14 am
RIP Killer

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/s ... id=4701416

Other Candidates:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/s ... id=4701050

December 1st, 2009, 11:15 am
NFL Team Captain

December 1st, 2009, 1:24 pm
RIP Killer

I think anyone would be dumb not to have him at the top of their list. I think he is the next great college football coach.

December 1st, 2009, 1:46 pm
NFL Team Captain

I read somewhere that he could replace some guy named Tressel :wink:

December 1st, 2009, 2:18 pm
RIP Killer

I read somewhere that he could replace some guy named Tressel :wink:

I believe I already said that I wanted him to ;)

December 1st, 2009, 2:46 pm
RIP Killer

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4703688

December 1st, 2009, 2:58 pm

I am very afraid that Notre Dame is going to hire Brian Kelly. That's the guy I want to replace the idiot currently in Ann Arbor, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen now. Just for the hell of it, I looked up their records and one thing stood out. Kelly has had one losing season in 19 years, while DickRod has had six in 17 years. :cry:

December 1st, 2009, 5:03 pm
RIP Killer

http://www.examiner.com/x-30967-Cincinn ... sideration

Say they want a defensive minded coach not an offensive minded coach.

December 1st, 2009, 7:55 pm

Steensn, I hope you're right, but it's still early in the process and anything could happen.

December 2nd, 2009, 1:00 pm
RIP Killer

I'm just linking what they are saying... I can't imagine that Kelly wouldn't be on the list.

December 2nd, 2009, 3:40 pm
QB Coach

I haven't heard today, but according to ESPN after yesterday's Cincy win over Pittsburgh, Kelly gave the sound impression to his players that he was not leaving.

Seeing as how RR left WV right before their championship game, that could mean absolutely nothing, but who else is really out there?

Whoever the next coach for ND is, he will be walking in with ABSOLUTELY NO GRACE, they want to win and win now! That seat will be hotter than hellfire.

Guess they shouldn't of shafted Dr. Holtz huh?

2 Chronicles 10:14, "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

December 6th, 2009, 5:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next