View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Conference "Re-adjustments" (Big Ten 12th member...) 
RIP Killer

Post Re: Big Ten taking another push for a 12th member...
I think you have to take the perspective of the big 12 schools... they want more money. Texas WANTED to join the Big Ten in the 90's but the Big Ten rejected them based on location. Now everyone is seeing that there is money to be had in this so they are jumping for it. The Big Ten network is a big hit financially (not so much with fans which is ironic) and schools want in. Texas is the only school that grosses more money in the country than OSU.. they have deep pockets and want to get them deeper.

It's not about breaking up the Big 12... it's that the Big 12 was already fractured and ready to jump ship.

June 10th, 2010, 10:21 am
RIP Killer

Texas schools might be looking at SEC?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100609/S ... -an-option

June 10th, 2010, 10:47 am
RIP Killer

VERY good chance Nebraska becomes 12th Big Ten school. Likely announcement Friday. This probably won't be the end though.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... 277.column

Some cool info:

"The Big Ten gets a huge name to boost its brand and it gives the league three of the five winningest Division I programs in history (along with Michigan and Ohio State; the other two are Notre Dame and Texas)."

"Nebraska is a state of 1.8 million people and its largest TV market, Omaha, ranks 76th nationally with around 410,000 TV homes. That's smaller than Toledo."

"Nebraska has been a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities since 1909, and its four-year football APR score, released Wednesday by the NCAA, was a solid 950. That's seventh behind Northwestern (986), Ohio State (975), Penn State (974), Indiana (969), Wisconsin (968) and Illinois (951)." (but ahead of UM ;) )

June 10th, 2010, 10:48 am
RIP Killer

Blowup of the Big 12 might force ND to jump into a conference:

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/0 ... or00000002

June 10th, 2010, 10:58 am
RIP Killer

I've heard reports that the Big Ten's "perfect" expansion would be Nebraska, Texas, ND. I couldn't agree more, I would not want to see more than that though. Also, I don't want to rectum JUST to add. I'd want to to be selective...

June 10th, 2010, 11:10 am
RIP Killer

The implosion has begun!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5271438

Colorado to join the PAC10

June 10th, 2010, 12:38 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: Conference "Re-adjustments" (Big Ten 12th member...)
Article also mentions that Texas and A&M will likely be a package deal.

June 10th, 2010, 12:41 pm
steensn wrote:
Article also mentions that Texas and A&M will likely be a package deal.

A guy on 97.1 made a very good case that Texas, Texas A&M and Nebraska will likely be a package deal, and it sounds like that there is a very good chance that Nebraska goes to the Big 10...

:idea: :arrow:

I like it... If the Big 10 lands Tex, Tex A&M, and Nebraska they will be one helluva conference. it MIGHT make the Big 10 Network worth watching...

June 10th, 2010, 1:23 pm
RIP Killer

I'd love to see those two get added to nebraska... that would shut up anyones comments on the Big Ten's strength.

June 10th, 2010, 1:24 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Word down in Austin is... that Texas is most likely to join Colorado and join the Pac-10.

NEVER GIVE UP!

June 10th, 2010, 3:08 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
LionsFan4Life wrote:
Word down in Austin is... that Texas is most likely to join Colorado and join the Pac-10.

If Texas joins Pac-10 then I guarantee that Texas A&M, Texas Tech will follow.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

June 10th, 2010, 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lions2SB2 wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:

If Texas joins Pac-10 then I guarantee that Texas A&M, Texas Tech will follow.

It is probably true because the PAC-10 is trying to go to 16 teams. Texas as a whole wants to stay together as a packaged deal. That means they could all 4 go over (Baylor as well) and keep all the tradition and rivalry together. Email leaks have indicated Texas' desire to go to the Big Ten because they feel it is the best fit and bring along A&M who fits as well... but Texas Tech is an issue because they want to follow but they are not part of the American Association of Universities. They have been quoted as "we have a tech problem."

June 10th, 2010, 4:10 pm
RIP Killer

I wouldn't trust this rumor:
Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- High level sources in multiple conferences have told KCTV5 that Texas and Texas A&M are looking to move to the Big Ten Conference and have petitioned for membership, while the University of Oklahoma is planning on petitioning the Southeastern Conference to become a member of its conference.KCTV5's sources said that Texas and Texas A&M do not have to include Texas Tech or Baylor in their plans. Sources told KCTV5 that there have already been discussions about the two schools entering the Big Ten and that the agreement could be made as soon as Thursday.

Oklahoma is currently working on petitioning to enter the SEC, but must find another university to enter the league with them, sources said. TMZ Sports has reported that Oklahoma State is likely to accept a bid to move to the Pac-10. Earlier Thursday, Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10.

KCTV5's sources also said that some Big 12 officials are saying decisions on which deals Big 12 schools take invitations by the end of the day Thursday, although the deals may not be officially announced. Big 12 officials also tell KCTV5's sources that some Big 12 office employees are planning to be without a job within weeks.

Those decisions would leave the University of Kansas, Kansas State University and the University of Missouri with Baylor, Texas Tech and Iowa State in the Big 12. The Missouri Board of Curators met Thursday and planned to meet Friday to discuss the future of Missouri sports.

June 10th, 2010, 4:47 pm
1st Round Pick

Location: Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 763.18 miles from Ford Field
I haven't heard anything on Oklahoma moving to the SEC..? :shock: . I thought they were another team that was moving to the Pac-10 also?

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

June 10th, 2010, 7:19 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Lots of rumors...

June 10th, 2010, 7:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next