View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 20th, 2014, 10:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 RR Gone? 
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust

Post Re: RR Gone?
Quote:
He said he wanted to go back to smash mouth football. The only way the team got 7 wins this year was through RR's offense. If you put a guy in there that can't utilize those offensive players as well RR could, there's no way the team gets 7 wins, especially because several players will probably transfer anyway.

The problem with hiring Hoke now is that it shows the program is rather pathetic. You could've easily gotten Hoke back in November and wouldn't have to put yourself in this situation

He did say he wanted to become more defensive I cannot argue that but he also stated he wanted a coach who was adaptable to the current level of talent on the roster. Again the square peg in the round hole theory.

I agree about the Hoke arguement, it is obvious that DB sticks to his principles, lets hope it doesn't bite him in the arse.

Quote:
RR did the best he could. He wasn't a good fit, the players he recruited didn't fit with the school.

This is all Bill Martin's fault, from the hiring process of RR to Ann Arbor and then leaving him out to dry.

January 6th, 2011, 1:55 pm
Player of the Year - Defense

I expect RR to take a year off coaching, come back to some mid-level Big East or ACC school, and take them to a BCS bowl. He's a good coach, it just wasn't the right place and the right time for him.

January 6th, 2011, 2:15 pm
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman

Blueskies wrote:
Quote:
I'm a bit conflicted on DB, he either doesn't know what he is doing or he has a very methodical plan in place. I still think he is willing to sacrafice the 2011 season, at least in regards to recruiting, to get the right guy in there for the long haul. Be it a thorough search of candidates either at the college or NFL level I believe he is going to do his homework. It will not be a flash in the pan hire and like others have stated, if all else falls through, Hoke is always there, maybe not an ace in the hole but a good card nonetheless. The 2011 schedule is very favorable and eight or nine wins with the current roster is not outside the realm to accomplish, the 2012 schedule is brutal however and that is the year the program needs to be showing enormous progress.

He said he wanted to go back to smash mouth football. The only way the team got 7 wins this year was through RR's offense. If you put a guy in there that can't utilize those offensive players as well RR could, there's no way the team gets 7 wins, especially because several players will probably transfer anyway.

The problem with hiring Hoke now is that it shows the program is rather pathetic. You could've easily gotten Hoke back in November and wouldn't have to put yourself in this situation.

Quote:
RR absolutely destroyed UM football. Lloyd had one questionable recruiting class in the year prior but thats it. Lets not forget the 11-2 season the season before Carr ended it. Otherwise they lost some quality players to the NFL that likely would have stayed and a couple big time transfers Mallet, Boren among others. The net effect of the recruiting since has been abyssmal, highly ranked classes but in the summer kids are either not getting in or deciding to leave.

RR did the best he could. He wasn't a good fit, the players he recruited didn't fit with the school. It looked like he was trying to change his ways, but it would've probably taken him several more years, and thats more than most UM fans would be willing to wait. But that's not really his fault, he was put into a poor circumstance.

As for Lloyd: neither the 06 or 07 classes were very good. As noted, Mallet was going to transfer before RR got there, and many key players were leaving for the NFL. Even if Carr had stayed for the 08 season, its unlikely that UM would've put up more than 6 or 7 wins--the talent just wasn't there. I don't really blame Bill Martin that much either--I think BM was hired to facilitate UM's stadium expansion--not hire the next football coach. Carr should've alerted the university a year or two before he planned on retirement, so that a suitable replacement could've been selected in advance, or forced himself to keep coaching for another year so that they didn't have to scramble to find a coach in a month. Its also pretty well known that Carr was instrumental in preventing Les Miles from coming here, who while I don't fully support on account of craziness, probably would've been a better fit than RR.

I agree with some of what you are saying here. We d be much better off if RR was fired after the OSU game and had time to salvage a recruiting class. The way this has gone down does not look good at all and the new coach gets caught wo an initial recruiting class. Im glad that you finally agree that RR did not fit the school.

RR though did not do the best he could - he never fully learned or understood UM traditions. Alumni and program boosters took this the wrong way. He stopped aggressively recruiting michigan and ohio, giving MSU a shot at prospects it normally does not get. He didnt build good relations with coaches at HS prospect football camps and frankly seemed very disinterested at such camps. He didnt adjust his scheme at all, ever to the opponent he was playing. He did not have game plans. UM did its own predictable thing every game. Knock John L Smith at MSU and his spread all you want but the guy came out with some great game plans and made teams look terrible in the first half of many games but was bad at in game adjustments. RR even said at a press conference this year that he didnt spend much time with the defense - nobody can defend that as good coaching esp when the D is ur biggest wkness.

January 6th, 2011, 10:49 pm

Quote:
RR didn't destroy the program. Bill Martin destroyed the program. Bill Martin screwed up the Les Miles hire by letting the info leak to LSU before their bowl game, and forcing Les Miles to sign an extension to coach the National Title game. Bill Martin also conducted a poor initial interview with Rich Rod, didn't give him any guidance on the program, the traditions, or where to go. Bill Martin GAVE Rich Rod the blank slate that EVERYONE hated. That wasn't Rich Rod's fault, that was Bill Martin's fault.

Im not going to argue this really. Basically chicken or the egg argument here. Yes I blame Martin to but RR couldve done better, learned on his own like adults do, etc.

Quote:
Ryan Mallet was going to leave the program regardless as to who was coming to Michigan to coach. He was an egotistical problem child, and the players knew it as well as Carr. He was going to leave if Carr was the coach, and we had NO Qb to take his place. Carr knew that and it was one of the reasons that he wanted out, and one of the reasons that all of the junior and senior WRs wanted out. The Jr. and Sr. Wrs didn't want to be in their final years of college with a freshman Qb that couldn't showcase their talents. What we were left with was an offense that had a freshman Qb, and no senior Wrs. Pretty tough combination. You can disagree with me on a number of these things, but I will tell you firsthand that you are wrong. I don't often claim to have inside information, but I have a TON of "insiders" at UofM. This isn't some wild speculation by my part, it is accepted truth around inner circles at the football facility. RR did run Jason Boren out of town, but it had more to do with being worked too hard, feeling "entitled" not to do so, and insubordination with the new HC.

I also know a ton of insiders there and many people internally knew that Carr was thinking about leaving for a few years and it definitely was not a spontaneous decision spurred only by Mallet. Yes, Mallet may have left if Carr was the coach but he was likely to stay if the new coach didnt run a run first spread, he simply couldnt succeed in that system. Mario Manningham yes would probably have left regardless of the hire but Adrian Arrington needed his senior season. Agreed on Boren who left bc Rodriguez strength/conditioning workouts were basically more work than he could or was willing to handle and RR drove him out. Other seniors that stayed had the same problem buying in to RR, Terrance Taylor maybe the biggest name.

Quote:
David "Bobble Head" Brandon, doesn't seem much better. I literally had to close my eyes and listen to the press conference because I was getting a headache watching his head bobble all around. He made some ridiculous statements, and he should have had the ball in order BEFORE this fiasco.

I agree, there was some/lots of BS in his press conference but this guy is a winner and will make a good hire.

Quote:
If UofM football is going to be restored to what it once was, whomever leaked the information to Fox News yesterday should be fired. It was that very same type of leak that cost us Les Miles the first time, and these leaks make the program look unstable, loosely managed, and chaotic. That's not a good foundation for any business, and we already have recruits jumping ship, or considering jumping ship because of this mess. The LAST thing that UofM needs is less talent...

Agree but we were likely to lose recruits anyway just bc most of the players will likely want to go to a similar system as that which RR ran.

January 6th, 2011, 11:06 pm
Modmin Dude

Blueskies wrote:
My sources say Harbaugh to Michigan is a done deal, and will be announced Jan 4.

Blueskies wrote:
Inside connection to Harbaugh. Says he really wants the job but needs to coach through the bowl game.

If I know, then DB obviously knows, and Harbaugh is the easy choice. The only way it wouldn't be Harbaugh is if DB really has a ton of confidence and wants to keep RR. But I doubt that, otherwise he already would've said so.

slybri19 wrote:
Based upon all the rumors I've heard (and some of them have been flat out wrong), I'd be surprised if Harbaugh wasn't named head coach sometime in January after his bowl game. Atleast, I can hope.

How are those "sources/rumors" looking these days, eh?

I'm sure we all should know by now these little 'sewing-circle' chats are useless and nothing more than a bunch of fans speculating what they think will happen.

January 10th, 2011, 10:39 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
My sources say Harbaugh to Michigan is a done deal, and will be announced Jan 4.

How are those "sources" doing these days, eh?

January 10th, 2011, 10:44 am

Blue skies

Quote:
I don't think DB is a complete idiot. You can't search for a coach in January, your entire recruiting class will de-commit and some current players may enroll winter semester at other schools. They have to already have someone pretty much guarenteed at this point (unless DB is a complete idiot). I think its either Harbaugh or Hoke. If its Harbaugh, that's awesome, but if its Hoke, Michigan will not beat OSU for 20 years.

good foresight pal, still waiting for you to denounce your UM fandom

Hoke 10 wins, including over OSU

December 1st, 2011, 9:42 pm
Heisman Winner

The Legend wrote:
Blue skies

Quote:
I don't think DB is a complete idiot. You can't search for a coach in January, your entire recruiting class will de-commit and some current players may enroll winter semester at other schools. They have to already have someone pretty much guarenteed at this point (unless DB is a complete idiot). I think its either Harbaugh or Hoke. If its Harbaugh, that's awesome, but if its Hoke, Michigan will not beat OSU for 20 years.

Go ahead and crown this guy, but the stars aligned for that 10 win season this year including the OSU game. 8 home games and a 2-2 record on the road. Not to mention OSU going through the largest scandal in recent memory in college athletics. I agree it was a great season for UM but I would like to see this repeated a few years before giving TOO much credit.

December 1st, 2011, 11:04 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

aManNamedSuh wrote:
The Legend wrote:
Blue skies

Quote:

Go ahead and crown this guy, but the stars aligned for that 10 win season this year including the OSU game. 8 home games and a 2-2 record on the road. Not to mention OSU going through the largest scandal in recent memory in college athletics. I agree it was a great season for UM but I would like to see this repeated a few years before giving TOO much credit.

Maybe that had something to do with the players they brought in that helped them beat us so many times. and 2-2 on the road, so what this is the first year under the new staff and you forgot about 1 thing while you were busy denouncing Hoke and thats Greg Mattison who is on his way to building great defenses for years to come. You were wrong, dude. Brady Hoke=B10 coach of the year in your face. credibilty down the crapper

December 2nd, 2011, 2:56 pm

Quote:

go ahead and crown OSU s scandal but im going to have to say penn st s scandal was much worse

either way, u cant deny that hoke did a good job

December 2nd, 2011, 3:00 pm
Heisman Winner

The Legend wrote:
Quote:

go ahead and crown OSU s scandal but im going to have to say penn st s scandal was much worse

either way, u cant deny that hoke did a good job

Not denying that Hoke did a great job, he deserves Big Ten coach of the year. I just wouldn't go as far as to say that UM is back.

December 2nd, 2011, 3:27 pm

i dont see where i said that before so i ll say it now UM is back

December 2nd, 2011, 7:02 pm
Heisman Winner

The Legend wrote:
i dont see where i said that before so i ll say it now UM is back

I'll refer you to this:
http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15179

December 2nd, 2011, 8:04 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I wouldn't say that UM is back, but they are definitely heading in the right direction. They're kinda like the Lions in that regard. Get rid of the problem (Millen/RichRod), then put someone capable in place to clean up the mess. I should add that Hoke exceeded my expectations and feel that he deserved to be named Big Ten Coach of the Year. Congratulations.

December 4th, 2011, 10:30 am
Player of the Year - Defense

Hoke vastly beat my expectations.

I predicted 7 wins before the season. As a Michigan alum I'm glad he overachieved, I take my hat off to him!

That said, I put most of the success on Mattison--not Hoke. Even then, as others have said, this was kind of a lucky year for Michigan. They had an easy schedule, had the stars align for them in the ND game, and had the good fortune of playing a scandal-rocked and devastated OSU team at home.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Michigan take a step back next year. I think they will get slaughtered against Alabama, but I'm still considering flying to Dallas to see that game.

December 5th, 2011, 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next