View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 26th, 2014, 2:02 am



Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 2010-11 bowl schedule 
Author Message
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9495
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
Pablo... you are trying to play slippery slope here...

You need to tell me why picking the top two teams and having them play out crowns the real best team less times than a playoff system...


I like slippery slopes...

I'm trying to crown a champion, not the best regular season team - that is what we do in sports. We all know Auburn was the best team this season, but are they the champions? Don't know yet, let them play it out and find out - that is what we do in other sports. They are reward with byes and seeding for their regular season success. That is also what we do in other sports.

Being great in the regular season does not a champion make. This is more true perhaps in college football when the regular season pits teams against so many different levels of competition. It is very difficult to compare a team like TCU to Auburn or Oregon.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 7th, 2010, 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
No one said regular season champ, that is why two teams play out to make sure. You acting like the king is crowned but they are not, they still have to play. Don't ignore it, you are claiming something not true.

You are also saying you want a champion, why isn't a NCG crowning a champion? You have yet to say why it doesn't crown a champion, you keep implying that it doesn't.

Auburn has to beat who we think is the second best team, Oregon. Auburn HAS to play the next best team to prove it... that IMO is a champion.

My thoughts on TCU, if they want to be counted in the lot for national champion, then get a better schedule. They are on there way to proving it... can't compare TCU to the others because of schedule... that is TCU's fault for scheduling to date. It is the BCS fault a bit for playing Boise v TCU the past two years though as well. Both should have played a known entity to make their case.

Again... you are claiming pitting the best two teams doesn't crown a champion with high confidence... that is a farce. A playoff does no better as many examples and math has shown.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 7th, 2010, 1:41 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9495
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
No one said regular season champ, that is why two teams play out to make sure. You acting like the king is crowned but they are not, they still have to play. Don't ignore it, you are claiming something not true.

You are also saying you want a champion, why isn't a NCG crowning a champion? You have yet to say why it doesn't crown a champion, you keep implying that it doesn't.

Auburn has to beat who we think is the second best team, Oregon. Auburn HAS to play the next best team to prove it... that IMO is a champion.

My thoughts on TCU, if they want to be counted in the lot for national champion, then get a better schedule. They are on there way to proving it... can't compare TCU to the others because of schedule... that is TCU's fault for scheduling to date. It is the BCS fault a bit for playing Boise v TCU the past two years though as well. Both should have played a known entity to make their case.

Again... you are claiming pitting the best two teams doesn't crown a champion with high confidence... that is a farce. A playoff does no better as many examples and math has shown.


Your math only proves the best team from the regular season doesn't have a better chance of winning when more games are involved. A real champion takes on all comers - think of the NCAA B-Ball champions, to win that championship takes a real champion, not someone who has just a good record in the regular season. There is little if any debate once their champion is crowned, or the champion from most other sports.

If TCU crushes Wisconsin and Oregon slips by Auburn are they really the champ? Sure Alabama won last year, they beat Texas - does that make them the best team in the country. Oh wait, Texas lost their QB on the first series of the game so I'm not so sure...

This system is terrible, your numbers only prove the best team as determined by polls for the regular season has a better chance to win, that doesn't sound like champion to me.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 7th, 2010, 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Again, does the "champion" take on all opponents. I disagree... the champion wins ALL games, not just in the post season. The champion of the season should win in both the regular season and the post season. You put artificial importance on the post season, but have given no reason why they are more important.

Again, you say that a champion has to win in a given tourney to be proven a winner... why can't the regular season be that tourney? WHy must it be at the end?

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 7th, 2010, 2:10 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
You are going to have an impossible time convincing anyone that a #2 team losing to a #15 team in an upset is proof the #15 team is better. A #1 loss to a #8 doesn't mean a #8 is more of a champion. It means they can pull an upset. No one can actually say #11 ranked George Mason was a top 4 team in 2006. No one can say the #8 Villanova team was the best team in the country in 1985.

Again, you are ignoring the facts that UPSETS happen an that is why the pro sports do multiple games instead of one off for BBALL. It is proof that concessions MUST be made at different levels of sports to fit the needs of the players.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 7th, 2010, 2:16 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9495
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
Again, does the "champion" take on all opponents. I disagree... the champion wins ALL games, not just in the post season. The champion of the season should win in both the regular season and the post season. You put artificial importance on the post season, but have given no reason why they are more important.

Again, you say that a champion has to win in a given tourney to be proven a winner... why can't the regular season be that tourney? WHy must it be at the end?


Because then folks like you discount other teams schedules and such. It isn't a level playing field in the regular season. Also, the schedule sucks. OSU, for example - plays their last season game on Nov 27 is Jan 10. That is over 8 weeks between the end of the regular season and the next game - you really think one game under those circumstances is the best way to determine a champion? Seriously?

Do you realize you could have 128 teams play in a tournament playing once a week and determine a REAL champion in less time.

Well, you can "believe" Auburn or Oregon is the champion, as you know I tend to like "proof".

As for your latest post, Villanova may have not been the best team that season if you want to go back all the way to 1985 to prove a point, but you cannot argue that they earned the right to be called the Champions that year. Championships are earned, not handed out...

BTW - are we trying to determine the best team or the Champion? Cause you don't sound like you are arguing for determining who the Champion is...

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 7th, 2010, 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Pablo wrote:
Because then folks like you discount other teams schedules and such. It isn't a level playing field in the regular season.


Yes, so the onus is on the athletic department to make sure the team has proper scheduling. This is not BBALL where random small schools can throw together 5 players and suddenly be a top competitor. Football is pretty even keel and teams coming together take a while. Once there, the teams should move up to a better schedule to prove themselves. TCU is doing it kinda, Boise hopefully will step up. They control their schedule because they have chances of jumping to better conferences. It's TCU's own dang fault...

Pablo wrote:
Also, the schedule sucks. OSU, for example - plays their last season game on Nov 27 is Jan 10. That is over 8 weeks between the end of the regular season and the next game - you really think one game under those circumstances is the best way to determine a champion? Seriously?


Yup, great reason for a Big Ten Champion and some regulation on scheduling. Again, a modification irrelevant of playoff or not. Can be fixed in BOTH systems.

Pablo wrote:
Do you realize you could have 128 teams play in a tournament playing once a week and determine a REAL champion in less time.


So? What does that prove? It is A solution, but is it the right one?

Pablo wrote:
Well, you can "believe" Auburn or Oregon is the champion, as you know I tend to like "proof".

As for your latest post, Villanova may have not been the best team that season if you want to go back all the way to 1985 to prove a point, but you cannot argue that they earned the right to be called the Champions that year. Championships are earned, not handed out...

BTW - are we trying to determine the best team or the Champion? Cause you don't sound like you are arguing for determining who the Champion is...


What is a "champion?" You are assuming a playoff crowns the only champion. Why can't a champion be crowned a different way?

Champion: a winner of first prize or first place in competition; also : one who shows marked superiority

I don't see playoffs anywhere in there...

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 7th, 2010, 2:54 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 9495
Location: Dallas
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
I don't see playoffs anywhere in there...


Champion: a winner of first prize or first place in competition; also : one who shows marked superiority

Playoffs = competition

As for the rest, done arguing cause if you don't get it by now you are not going to. I understand that everything in the current system favors OSU for the most part and perhaps that is why you are so intent on keeping the current system, despite the numerous flaws I pointed out (and many you seem to now agree with and start trying to put other band aids on.

Let's not go back to 1985 to make a point, lets go to this year.

2010 - Is TCU the best team in the country? Don't know unless they have an opportunity to prove it in a playoff system. We can argue a million different things about their schedule, but you cannot deny that if they had an opportunity to prove it in a playoff we would know for sure.

2009 - Was Alabama team last year worthy of being called champion because they beat a Colt McCoy less Texas team in one game?

2008 - A one-loss Oklahoma deserves to play in the championship game over a one-loss Texas team that beat Oklahoma on a neutral field.?

steensn, seriously this is the system you continue to choose to support?

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 7th, 2010, 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
BCS = competition... what is your point. Your claim is an opinion that it does not do a good job at crowning one. We can agree to disagree on that... I'm just showing you your "reasons" are not real.

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 7th, 2010, 4:23 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Great summary of a recent discussion by conference heads on a plus-one:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5899725

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 8th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Profile
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12141
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
A quick question for the pro-BCS crowd: Why is it acceptable for the other/lower NCAA football divisions to have a playoff? Shouldn't ALL of college/NCAA football be consistant?

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 23rd, 2010, 11:04 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
I think each can do whatever they want. Why are there two tourney's in bball? Shouldn't there be only one champion?

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 23rd, 2010, 11:12 am
Profile
QB Coach
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3142
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
steensn wrote:
I think each can do whatever they want. Why are there two tourney's in bball? Shouldn't there be only one champion?

What are you talking about? There is only 1 champion. If you're referring to the NIT, sorry NOBODY who knows anything about college bball considers the NIT winner a champion.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 23rd, 2010, 12:17 pm
Profile
ST Coordinator – Danny Crossman
User avatar

Joined: March 30th, 2006, 12:48 am
Posts: 3827
Location: Davison Mi
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
Touchdown Jesus wrote:
steensn wrote:
I think each can do whatever they want. Why are there two tourney's in bball? Shouldn't there be only one champion?

What are you talking about? There is only 1 champion. If you're referring to the NIT, sorry NOBODY who knows anything about college bball considers the NIT winner a champion.



It's the NIT just basically the losers bracket? You only go there if yer not invited to the big show I thought....

_________________
2013 Lionbacker Fantasy Football Champion


December 23rd, 2010, 2:53 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: June 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
Posts: 13429
Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
So the losers bracket under the BCS can do whatever they want, who cares... that is my point ;)

_________________
regularjoe12 - "You are crackin me up! really! HILARIOUS um let me quote some intellgent people in this coneversation: Steensn:"


December 23rd, 2010, 3:15 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.