View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 5:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 2010-11 bowl schedule 
RIP Killer

Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
I'm honestly not to excited for the Arkansas game. Great opportunity to put a win in the OSU vs SEC column, but it is going to be tough...

What I am glad about is that we didn't send a team destined to roll over like MSU... BSC game... PSHHH

January 3rd, 2011, 11:39 am
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
The human opinion only pits the two top teams together just like in the tourneys. They still have to win to be number one.

No it doesn't, the human factor is factored in each and every week with the rankings.

January 3rd, 2011, 11:42 am
Modmin Dude

TheRealWags wrote:
How many other sports groups determine their champion by computer rankings and human opinion? I would guess a small percentage.

Let's see:
NCAA FBS - Yes
NCAA FCS, D2 & D3 - Nope, tournament
FIFA World Cup - Nope, tournament
MLB - Nope, tournament
NBA - Nope, tournament
Tennis - Nope, tournament
NFL - Nope, tournament
NHL - Nope, tournament
Olympics - Nope, tournament
CFL - Nope, tournament
UFL - Nope, tournament
Cricket - Nope, tournament
Darts - Nope, tournament
Golf - Nope, tournament
NASCAR - Nope, tournament

Can/Have you provide(d) any examples of the BCS system anywhere?

outside of the NCAA FBS, of course....

Still waiting for your examples of where the BCS-model has been implemented to determine the Champion of their respective sport.
Don't worry, take your time, I'm not holding my breath :wink:

January 3rd, 2011, 12:18 pm
Modmin Dude

Wasn't sure if I should put this in the Draft section or here....

Who should I be watching in tonights game? Is there anyone we (Lions) may be targeting in the draft?

Thanks!

January 3rd, 2011, 3:44 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:
The human opinion only pits the two top teams together just like in the tourneys. They still have to win to be number one.

No it doesn't, the human factor is factored in each and every week with the rankings.

Yes, which pits the TWO top seeds against each other to PLAY each other to provide a CHAMPION. The WINNER of that game is the CHAMPION of college football. It's a two team playoff...

January 3rd, 2011, 4:14 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:
How many other sports groups determine their champion by computer rankings and human opinion? I would guess a small percentage.

Let's see:
NCAA FBS - Yes
MLB - Nope, tournament
NBA - Nope, tournament
NFL - Nope, tournament
NHL - Nope, tournament
CFL - Nope, tournament
UFL - Nope, tournament
Darts - Nope, tournament
Golf - Nope, tournament

Still waiting for your examples of where the BCS-model has been implemented to determine the Champion of their respective sport.

You can keep posting it but it proves nothing. NCAA football has never been like those sports. It has almost a hundred years of bowl game traditions to deal with, do any of those? Nope... didn't think so. Different situation, different needs. I don't need to prove why the BCS is needed, we have the BCS, it is being used. Someone has to prove why we need to change it...

"Don't worry, take your time, I'm not holding my breath :wink:"

Again, you are putting the burden of proof on me, which it is not. It is on the ones pushing for change.

January 3rd, 2011, 4:17 pm
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
You can keep posting it but it proves nothing. NCAA football has never been like those sports. It has almost a hundred years of bowl game traditions to deal with, do any of those? Nope... didn't think so. Different situation, different needs. I don't need to prove why the BCS is needed, we have the BCS, it is being used. Someone has to prove why we need to change it...
"Don't worry, take your time, I'm not holding my breath :wink:"

Again, you are putting the burden of proof on me, which it is not. It is on the ones pushing for change.

First off, just because a particular system is in place doesn't mean it doesn't need to be defended.

That being said, as has been stated several times, Champions are not determined by human-based opinion rankings. THAT is why there should be a playoff system, to get the human opinion aspect out of it.

Each week coachs (humans) rank the college teams, as do computers (which are programmed by humans). These human rankings (both coach and computer programmer) are used in determining which college team is ranked where. Because of this, human rankings help to determine which
steensn wrote:
Yes, which pits the TWO top seeds against each other to PLAY each other
therefore your "Champion" is the result of human opinion.

Now, to your
steensn wrote:
It has almost a hundred years of bowl game traditions
remark, how many years has the Olympics (which are also for amateur athletes) been around??? Talk about your traditions, eh?

January 4th, 2011, 10:16 am
RIP Killer

All rankings are determined by human opinion, even the bball tourney standings. A group of humans use opinion to set who gets in and out using the polls and their opinion on who is good enough and what is the the most equal conferences. No difference accept their playoff is larger. Humans pick BOTH, one is a large playoff than another both determined by human driven polls and a committee.

January 4th, 2011, 11:03 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:
It has almost a hundred years of bowl game traditions
remark, how many years has the Olympics (which are also for amateur athletes) been around??? Talk about your traditions, eh?

They started the way of a tourney, good for them. They never had to switch...

January 4th, 2011, 11:03 am
3rd Round Selection

TheRealWags wrote:
TheRealWags wrote:

Let's see:
NCAA FBS - Yes
MLB - Nope, tournament
NBA - Nope, tournament
NFL - Nope, tournament
NHL - Nope, tournament
CFL - Nope, tournament
UFL - Nope, tournament
Darts - Nope, tournament
Golf - Nope, tournament

How would the proposed playoff system for college football determine its entrants? I assume by a BCS style ranking system? So whilst a playoff system would be 3 or 4 steps further removed from arbitrary selection than the current system, it would still have at its root a system of arbitrary selection.

Basically I think that College Football is completely screwed when it comes to any attempt to determine a National Champion that is objective. The number of college teams, vs the number of fixtures available in a season, means you simply cannot get sufficient matchups across a season for results to solely determine your champion.

I'd prefer a playoff system to the current system, but I think both are heavily flawed if you're trying to determine the best team in the country objectively.

January 4th, 2011, 5:42 pm
RIP Killer

I think people do not realize that a playoff system is nothing better than an expanded BCS system...

January 4th, 2011, 5:45 pm
Modmin Dude

UK Lion wrote:
How would the proposed playoff system for college football determine its entrants?

A repost from Page 1 of this thread:
Quote:
Who said anything about giving up the Bowl games??? Incorporate those bowl games into the playoff capping it off with a TRUE, LEGIT National Championship game. Why can't that be done? Why does it have to be Bowl game OR playoff? Not too mention, a true playoff system would probably generate MORE $$$ for the schools (and NCAA as a whole).

First off, I'm sure we all know I am NO NCAA football expert (not really that big of a fan...)...that being said, here is my Q&D ideas for a potential playoff system:

ALL NCAA D1/BCS conferences will have a Conf Championship game (which could be some of the current Bowl games??)
The winners of those games, will face each other and so on until a true National Championship game is played.
Teams that don't make it to their Champ game will be going to Bowl games.

Granted that is very simplistic, but I'm sure you get the idea. Its not really that far fetched or that difficult to accomplish. Will it take some time? Sure, but the end result should eliminate all this ranking crap (which is purely subjective).

As stated this is my quick & dirty simplistic view of what a playoff system might look like, there are others out there too.
steensn wrote:
I think people do not realize that a playoff system is nothing better than an expanded BCS system...

How so? Please explain.

January 4th, 2011, 10:07 pm
RIP Killer

The BCS pits the 2 best teams via human vote against each other for the championship. An EXPANDED playoff system pits X number of teams via human vote against each other for the championship. It is just more teams selected by human vote to play each other. Make it 4 teams, the top 4 are still picked by human vote. As UK said, you just buffer the human vote as you add more teams. One has to say WHY more of a buffer is needed to crown a champion.

January 4th, 2011, 10:22 pm
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
The BCS pits the 2 best teams via human vote against each other for the championship. An EXPANDED playoff system pits X number of teams via human vote against each other for the championship. It is just more teams selected by human vote to play each other. Make it 4 teams, the top 4 are still picked by human vote. As UK said, you just buffer the human vote as you add more teams. One has to say WHY more of a buffer is needed to crown a champion.

How is it human vote when the playoff participants are from their respective conference champ games, in which the top 2 teams by record from the conference are playing??? :confused:

January 4th, 2011, 10:45 pm
Afghan Allstar

Heyward came to play tonight. Bucks looking good.

January 4th, 2011, 11:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next