View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 28th, 2014, 2:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 2010-11 bowl schedule 
RIP Killer

Post Re: 2010-11 bowl schedule
TheRealWags wrote:
steensn wrote:
The BCS pits the 2 best teams via human vote against each other for the championship. An EXPANDED playoff system pits X number of teams via human vote against each other for the championship. It is just more teams selected by human vote to play each other. Make it 4 teams, the top 4 are still picked by human vote. As UK said, you just buffer the human vote as you add more teams. One has to say WHY more of a buffer is needed to crown a champion.

How is it human vote when the playoff participants are from their respective conference champ games, in which the top 2 teams by record from the conference are playing??? :confused:

One way to do it, but that isn't how anyone else does it... and that seems good enough reason to question anything ;)

January 4th, 2011, 11:33 pm
RIP Killer

buell17 wrote:
Heyward came to play tonight. Bucks looking good.

Lets hope we can keep this up.. no mistakes is playing huge in this game.

January 4th, 2011, 11:34 pm
RIP Killer

These refs are ticking me off... bs calls, no calls. idiots

January 5th, 2011, 12:58 am
RIP Killer

Anyone complains about Lions dropping the ball have nothing to complain about... what the heck is up with the Razorbacks!? They can't catch a cold tonight!

January 5th, 2011, 1:04 am
RIP Killer

Now that my ulcers are forming.... whew... what a game.

January 5th, 2011, 1:18 am
RIP Killer

I thought when we were down to our 13th CB of the season in the game we where done... I can't believe we stayed in this game. What a game by the D...

January 5th, 2011, 1:19 am
RIP Killer

Tressel = class act

January 5th, 2011, 1:20 am
Afghan Allstar

This win is squarely on the shoulders of the D-Line. What an amazing game they played.

January 5th, 2011, 1:27 am
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
Tressel = class act

:confused:
Uh, ok :rolleyes:

Congrats on your tainted win, now let's see if your 'integrity-laden coach' and players keep their words.

January 5th, 2011, 10:53 am
RIP Killer

Oh brother... here we go again... :roll:

January 5th, 2011, 11:15 am
3rd Round Selection

TheRealWags wrote:
First off, I'm sure we all know I am NO NCAA football expert (not really that big of a fan...)...that being said, here is my Q&D ideas for a potential playoff system:

ALL NCAA D1/BCS conferences will have a Conf Championship game (which could be some of the current Bowl games??)
The winners of those games, will face each other and so on until a true National Championship game is played.
Teams that don't make it to their Champ game will be going to Bowl games.

I am a big fan of the basic premise but the problem, to me, seems to be the schedules within the various conferences. This year OSU and MSU finished with the same record within their conference but came to that record playing against very different schedules and did not meet.

If the BCS was made up of conferences/divisions where every team played every other team in their division once, and there was something preventing them from cup-caking the rest of their schedule, I'd be a huge fan of your approach.

But then I have no sense of the history of college football and no idea of how much tradition, particularly traditional rivalries, would be scrapped by moving to a system where the vast majority of "regular season" games were in-division/conference.

January 5th, 2011, 11:23 am
RIP Killer

What do we do with non conference teams? Do 2 MAC teams make it in instead of a third SEC team or Big Ten team?

January 5th, 2011, 11:34 am
Modmin Dude

UK Lion wrote:
I am a big fan of the basic premise but the problem, to me, seems to be the schedules within the various conferences. This year OSU and MSU finished with the same record within their conference but came to that record playing against very different schedules and did not meet.

Wouldn't the Conference Champ at least help to determine that? Also...
UK Lion wrote:
If the BCS was made up of conferences/divisions where every team played every other team in their division once, and there was something preventing them from cup-caking the rest of their schedule, I'd be a huge fan of your approach.

But then I have no sense of the history of college football and no idea of how much tradition, particularly traditional rivalries, would be scrapped by moving to a system where the vast majority of "regular season" games were in-division/conference.

I agree the scheduling would need to be tweaked/fixed. IMO there should be NO "cup-caking" anymore.

What about using the regular season as sort of a 'pre-playoff'? For example, perhaps all regular season games would be intra-conference (Big Ten vs Big Ten), then use a similar tie-breaking system as the NFL to help with the inevitable tie-records. In the Big Ten, that would mean that each team would play each other every year but would also allow for perhaps 1 or 2 non-conference games, which could be rotated from the other FBS/BCS conferences (no more lower level schools. If they want to play with the big boys, then they need to move up to the FBS or play "scrimmages" which would not count against the season record for either team)

steensn wrote:
What do we do with non conference teams? Do 2 MAC teams make it in instead of a third SEC team or Big Ten team?

ALL conferences would be represented in my proposed playoff system, not just the "big" ones and all teams would need to be a part of a conference in order to be included (read: Notre Dame).

January 5th, 2011, 12:02 pm
RIP Killer

I will say a little more. Had we started this from scratch, brand new football in NCAA, removed traditions, etc... I would start with a 16 team playoff. I feel it adds enough to be worth it, but doesn't detract from the school part. What that does not include is traditions and other stuff, which the BCS keeps. It is a balancing game IMO and killing tradition (independents, bowl games, etc) is not worth the little extra element of a playoff to help determine a champion. There simply is not enough credibility to a playoff system to crown a champ that outweighs 100 years of good tradition. The benefits are not really that impressive...

January 5th, 2011, 12:09 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:
I will say a little more. Had we started this from scratch, brand new football in NCAA, removed traditions, etc... I would start with a 16 team playoff. I feel it adds enough to be worth it, but doesn't detract from the school part. What that does not include is traditions and other stuff, which the BCS keeps. It is a balancing game IMO and killing tradition (independents, bowl games, etc) is not worth the little extra element of a playoff to help determine a champion. There simply is not enough credibility to a playoff system to crown a champ that outweighs 100 years of good tradition. The benefits are not really that impressive...

Tradition, really? You know all these Michigan folks are thinking about getting a great coach and building on their proud tradition. Problem is, we now live in a Twitter world and do you really think HS seniors who have seen Michigan suck for the last 3 years give a damn?

TCU deserved a chance to really compete for a National Championship but doesn't get the chance under this outdated system. Too bad. Actually, the benefits under the current system are totally flawed and need changing - but you will never see that will you no matter how obvious the benefits... Again, too bad!

January 5th, 2011, 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next