View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 30th, 2014, 9:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Over signing in NCAA 
RIP Killer

Post Over signing in NCAA
What a jerk...

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5935634

December 20th, 2010, 6:20 pm
Veteran General Manager

Post Re: You guys really want Les?
That stuff happens at every school. YES, EVEN OSU.

December 20th, 2010, 6:52 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: You guys really want Les?
No, not even OSU, in fact not even much at all in the Big Ten. Did you look at the stats? The Big Ten limits recruiting further than the NCAA to prevent this.

December 20th, 2010, 6:57 pm
RIP Killer

Post Re: You guys really want Les? (Over signing in NCAA)
http://oversigning.com/testing/

Check this out:

"Based on Ohio State's average recruiting class size, 19.8, Arkansas has the advantage of having accepted nearly 2 full recruiting classes of signed letters of intent more than Ohio State. Most notably, the DT, OL, WR, and those recruited under ATH, appear to be where Arkansas has recruited more players."

December 20th, 2010, 7:01 pm
RIP Killer

Comments on Tressel's recruiting:

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.ph ... olarships/

"Jim Tressel announced today that three walk-on players will be awarded with scholarships: Ricky Crawford, Chris Malone, and Scott Sika.

Sika has already graduated and will get an entire year of his graduate degree paid for by Ohio State. Crawford and Malone are set to graduate this year. Odds are that none of these guys see significant playing time, this is simply a reward for their dedication, hard-work, and character, and is the net result of Jim Tressel's recruiting philosophy, which is based on signing the number of kids you have room for on National Signing day and then awarding scholarships to walk-on players based on the shortfall between the number of guys signed and the 85 limit. We outlined this method of roster management a while back--the contrast to this style is to signed 26-28 recruits instead of 17 and instead of adding walk-on players to the scholarship roster you cut lesser performing or injured scholarship players to get down to 85."

December 20th, 2010, 7:07 pm
RIP Killer

Tressel Recruiting Technique:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTTZpeXb ... r_embedded

"More on Tressel's class: At the time of this video (National Signing Day) Tressel was still waiting to hear from Seantrel Henderson, the #1 player in the country and the 2nd OL that he hoped to sign in the class, and Ohio State was sitting at 18 players signed to fill their 20 vacancies. Shortly after this video, Henderson opted to go with USC and Tressel was left with very little or no options at the OL position they wanted to fill with two prospects. Therefore, with 20 vacancies and 18 players signed, Tressel's class was done - 2 short of 85. A week or so later Tressel awards a scholarship to Archie Griffin's son, a relatively unknown prospect who originally wanted to walk on. This leaves Tressel with 1 scholarship in the bank either for another walk-on or for next year; this is a total night and day difference from Saban's situation where he has 10 players too many and needs to start dropping bodies to avoid NCAA rule violations.

Essentially, when you look at the 19th scholarship in Tressel's class, he traded the #1 player in the country for a walk-on, but he almost had to - he didn't have three other OL signed because had they all made it academically that would have put him over the limit and he would have to cut players to make room, players like Garrett Hummel and Ryan Schuck who will never see the field at WR with all the depth at that position or a guy like Tyler Moeller who suffered a possible career-ending head injury off the field (Moeller's career story is almost identical to Terry Grant's, both red-shirted and both had a lot of potential, the difference is that Moeller will get his shot to come back and use his last year of eligibility, whereas Grant, due to Saban's oversigning and need to shed players will not); conversely, with the departure of Grant and Sikes, Saban just traded out two spots with new recruits from a top 5 recruiting class for two guys that would have never seen the field this year. That is a drastic difference."

December 20th, 2010, 7:08 pm
RIP Killer

And I'm only touting Tressel because he is one of the best. The Big Ten is very good at this...

December 20th, 2010, 7:09 pm
Veteran General Manager

Don't misconstrue what I said as wanting Les Miles though. I only threw his name out there in the other thread because he was mentioned several times in the past. I, personally, don't know much about him. My #1 Choice is Harbaugh then Cam Cameron.

December 20th, 2010, 7:17 pm
Varsity Benchwarmer

And the players are not allowed to have an agent to look after their interests....Funny.

What happens to eligibility? I think if you offer a scholarship and the player signs and you kick him off the team for #'s reasons then the school should at the very least have to pony up the monies for the rest of the students education at that university. If they want to leave and play for someone else that's fine, but if they would like to stay and finish their degree then the university should let them for free.

They call them student athletes...bull poop..they are just money makers for the schools. I really hope this really blows up in the media, Call the Universities out on this.

Frok

December 20th, 2010, 11:12 pm
League MVP

Quote:
Don't misconstrue what I said as wanting Les Miles though. I only threw his name out there in the other thread because he was mentioned several times in the past.

No kidding, you thought his name was Miles Davis, a dead musician.

January 12th, 2011, 8:44 pm
steensn wrote:

Steen, I think this is why he wasn't offered the job.

The Legend wrote:
Quote:
Don't misconstrue what I said as wanting Les Miles though. I only threw his name out there in the other thread because he was mentioned several times in the past.

No kidding, you thought his name was Miles Davis, a dead musician.

LoL... That's funny right there...

January 13th, 2011, 11:34 am
RIP Killer

I agree, I think there is a bit of a pride thing between the SEC and Big Ten over things like this. SEC is dominating due to not restricting the rules and the Big Ten desires more of a college feel to the programs over dominating. I'm pretty sure that Les doesn't want to lose the ability to medically/academically/straight drop kick someone out for a potentially better recruit and that was likely a BIG conversation.

In comparison, UM and OSU carry players who are "terminally" hurt because they offered them a full scholly and they honor it all the way. I can name a few guys on the OSU team that wouldn't still be on an SEC team. one cold say, that is only because of the rules of the Big Ten, but the rules are there because the schools and coaches want them to be. It is well documented that Tressel keeps a few scholarships each year he could squeeze in a few more recruits to give to Seniors who have walked on and earned it. I'm sure some other coaches do the same, Tressel is just usually the poster coach for this because of his success paired with integrity.

January 13th, 2011, 12:12 pm
RIP Killer

More on over-signing... Les is the poster child for doing it badly...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html

Ranking of average class size for past 5 years:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... index.html

First Big Ten school to hit it is Illinois with 24.4 average. Note, OSU is almost near the very bottom of the list with 19.8 per class. Other notable schools that low is Stanford, TCU, and Boise. Last 5 NC winners:

Auburn: 28.8
Alabama: 26.6
Florida: 24 (one very low year of 16 junked their average)
LSU: 26.2
Florida: 24 (see above)

6 of the top 10 worse signers are SEC.

January 25th, 2011, 11:56 am
RIP Killer

"Second, does oversigning offer a competitive advantage by allowing coaches who oversign to make more recruiting mistakes than their colleagues who refuse to engage in the practice? Ohio State fan site the-ozone.net produced a fascinating post in December that examined the differences in players signed between Big Ten and SEC teams and their bowl opponents. In the Sugar Bowl, Ohio State faced an Arkansas team that had signed 30 more players than the Buckeyes in a four-year period. In the BCS title game, Oregon faced an Auburn team that had signed 19 more players than the Ducks over a four-year period.

The coaches who signed more players had a chance to erase their mistakes. The coaches who signed fewer had to live with their mistakes. That certainly seems like a competitive advantage. "It hasn't really been a conversation, the competitive aspect of it," the Big Ten's Hawley said. "If you look at the numbers, if I had to pick yes or no, I'd have to say yes."

OZONE ARTICLE:

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/posts ... gning.html

"What does that +30 mean? It means in the four recruiting classes from 2007 to 2010, Arkansas signed 30 more players than Ohio State did. In four seasons, they signed 109 players to the Buckeyes' 79.

In other words, they signed almost two entire recruiting classes more than Ohio State did."

SEC this bowl against opponents:

Insight Bowl
Missouri (99 signed) vs Iowa (88)
Iowa -11

Texas Bowl
Baylor (103) vs Illinois (93)
Illinois -10

TicketCity Bowl
Texas Tech (92) vs Northwestern (74)
Northwestern -18

Rose Bowl
Wisconsin (89) vs TCU (76)
Wisconsin +13

Music City Bowl
North Carolina (98) vs Tennessee (97)
Tennessee -1

Liberty Bowl
UCF (93) vs Georgia (86)
Georgia -7

Chick-Fil-A Bowl
South Carolina (106) vs Florida State (96)
South Carolina +10

Cotton Bowl
LSU (105) vs Texas A&M (93)
LSU +12

BBVA Compass Bowl
Kentucky (104) vs Pittsburgh (87)
Kentucky +17

BCS National Championship Game
Auburn (119) vs Oregon (100)
Auburn +19

-----------------

Capital One Bowl
Alabama (113) vs Michigan State (88)
Alabama +25, Michigan State -25

Gator Bowl
Mississippi State (113) vs Michigan (93)
Mississippi State +20, Michigan -20

Outback Bowl
Florida (93) vs Penn State (82)
Florida +11, Penn State -11

Sugar Bowl
Arkansas (109) vs Ohio State (79)
Arkansas +30, Ohio State -30

"The SEC teams have signed 86 more players over the last four seasons than the Big Ten has. Basically, each of these SEC teams has an entire extra recruiting class to sift through in order to find the talent enough to beat their opponents."

January 25th, 2011, 12:02 pm
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

Why does this seem like 1 of those No brainers where the NCAA Has to get involved, but wont because of the $$$. What a shame.

January 25th, 2011, 2:23 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next