View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 10:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 68  Next
 OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction? 
RIP Killer

Post Re: OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction?
3 players, 2 starters suspended for first game for taking impermissable benefits at a charity event.

Quote:
Running back Jordan Hall and defensive backs Travis Howard and Corey Brown received impermissible benefits at a charity event they attended earlier in the year. None of the players obtained benefits worth more than $300.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... ey-brown/1

Clearly this needed reported immediately without a three day delay...

September 1st, 2011, 5:58 pm
Color Commentator - John Madden

I just think it's mind boggling that this could happen after they had gone through everything before the summer started. Sure, monitoring everyone is a tough job, but don't you think the compliance office would have had a meeting with the team and say "Ya know fellas, until further notice, don't take anything from anyone, even if it's a ham sandwich".

September 2nd, 2011, 8:58 am
RIP Killer

All the information was provided in the article, it was earlier this year, not recent. Should be a good example that OSU can use to the rest of the team.

September 2nd, 2011, 9:09 am
Color Commentator - John Madden

I know you said that it should have been reported earlier, so I'm not jumping down your throat, but why did it take so long for it to come out? Is it something that they just now realized was a violation? Just seems odd to me.

September 2nd, 2011, 9:20 am
RIP Killer

It didn't come out till OSU got the details, did the normal investigation, then self reported to the NCAA and made it public. My comment was that when OSU has something to report on everyone reports it that day while if you look at the Miami thread when one of the biggest scandals of all time potentially happens ESPN waits 3 days... it was an unclear sarcastic remark, my mistake.

September 2nd, 2011, 9:52 am
RIP Killer

Tressel found his next gig:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69227 ... consultant

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts have hired former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel as a game-day consultant.

AFC South blog
ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky writes about all things AFC South in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Coach Jim Caldwell made the announcement during a conference call with reporters Friday.

Caldwell says Tressel will serve primarily as a consultant on replays, which will allow the other coaches to focus on their individual jobs without having to worry about making decisions on replay reviews.

Tressel resigned at Ohio State on May 30 following an investigation that turned up evidence his players had received improper benefits. Tressel also allegedly failed to notify the school's compliance department.

Caldwell says he chose Tressel because the two have had a good relationship for a long time and that it fills a job he'd been looking to fill for several years.

September 2nd, 2011, 3:59 pm
RIP Killer

Halftime switch to ESPN halftime team on OSU game:
Mark Mays "It's Akron, they are only up 21-0. They should be up 38-0, it's Akron. OSU is terrible!"
Holtz "Everyone thinks your an idiot"

Halftime of Alabama Kent State Game:
Mark Mays "Most talented back in college football. Only up by 21-0 because they are breaking in two new QB's"

What!? What a tard! Want to see ESPN bias... Mark Mays has always dogged OSU blatantly without hiding it.

September 3rd, 2011, 2:57 pm
Modmin Dude

steensn wrote:
Halftime switch to ESPN halftime team on OSU game:
Mark Mays "It's Akron, they are only up 21-0. They should be up 38-0, it's Akron. OSU is terrible!"
Holtz "Everyone thinks your an idiot"

Halftime of Alabama Kent State Game:
Mark Mays "Most talented back in college football. Only up by 21-0 because they are breaking in two new QB's"

What!? What a tard! Want to see ESPN bias... Mark Mays has always dogged OSU blatantly without hiding it.

:rolleyes: Show me any broadcast anywhere that doesn't have a bias... ESPN has sucked for years...are you just now seeing it?

September 3rd, 2011, 4:01 pm
Modmin Dude

PFT wrote:
NFL will review Jim Tressel’s status with Colts

Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT

AP
On Friday, Colts coach Jim Caldwell said that former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel had been hired to assist on game days with the question of whether calls made on the field by officials will be challenged. A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the move was made without the approval of the league office, and that the league office must approve the hire before it becomes final.

Per the source, Commissioner Roger Goodell will take a hard look at the situation, reviewing all relevant facts and circumstances, to determine whether Tressel should be able to do what former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor wasn’t permitted to do — immediately join the NFL for the start of the 2011 regular season.

It’s not a question of “if” the league will allow Tressel to work for the Colts, but “when.” Pryor will miss the first five games of his rookie regular season due to issues regarding the manner in which he became eligible for the supplemental draft. Though the league has been careful not to call the move a suspension, the decision to defer Pryor’s eligibility by five games matches the suspension imposed by the NCAA, causing many to conclude that the NFL has decided to assist the NCAA with the enforcement of its own rules.

In Tressel’s case, the league faces a tricky decision. Notions of fairness and consistency require the league to treat Tressel, who resigned from Ohio State under duress after admitting that he failed to share with the NCAA information regarding activities that jeopardized the eligibility of Pryor and other players, the same way that it treated Pryor. By delaying Tressel’s entry to the NFL, the league would be bolstering the perception that overt favors are now being done for the curators of the free farm system.

The question doesn’t become relevant until the Colts submit Tressel’s contract for approval by the league office. It hasn’t happened yet. Once it does, Tressel’s fate will be in the Commissioner’s hands.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ith-colts/

September 3rd, 2011, 7:32 pm
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
.are you just now seeing it?

yes

September 4th, 2011, 12:02 am
RIP Killer

TheRealWags wrote:
PFT wrote:
NFL will review Jim Tressel’s status with Colts

Posted by Mike Florio on September 3, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT

AP
On Friday, Colts coach Jim Caldwell said that former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel had been hired to assist on game days with the question of whether calls made on the field by officials will be challenged. A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the move was made without the approval of the league office, and that the league office must approve the hire before it becomes final.

Per the source, Commissioner Roger Goodell will take a hard look at the situation, reviewing all relevant facts and circumstances, to determine whether Tressel should be able to do what former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor wasn’t permitted to do — immediately join the NFL for the start of the 2011 regular season.

It’s not a question of “if” the league will allow Tressel to work for the Colts, but “when.” Pryor will miss the first five games of his rookie regular season due to issues regarding the manner in which he became eligible for the supplemental draft. Though the league has been careful not to call the move a suspension, the decision to defer Pryor’s eligibility by five games matches the suspension imposed by the NCAA, causing many to conclude that the NFL has decided to assist the NCAA with the enforcement of its own rules.

In Tressel’s case, the league faces a tricky decision. Notions of fairness and consistency require the league to treat Tressel, who resigned from Ohio State under duress after admitting that he failed to share with the NCAA information regarding activities that jeopardized the eligibility of Pryor and other players, the same way that it treated Pryor. By delaying Tressel’s entry to the NFL, the league would be bolstering the perception that overt favors are now being done for the curators of the free farm system.

The question doesn’t become relevant until the Colts submit Tressel’s contract for approval by the league office. It hasn’t happened yet. Once it does, Tressel’s fate will be in the Commissioner’s hands.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ith-colts/

Again, this stuff is nonsense. He didn't break any laws.

September 4th, 2011, 12:03 am
NFL Team Captain

Even though I hate those Turds in Columbus, I think that the NCAA and the NFL's policy of penalties and sanctions following a person to the NFL is BS!

September 4th, 2011, 5:24 am
Player of the Year - Offense

Well they have to do something. Pryor was still eligible when he announced he was leaving OSU and enter the supplemental draft. The suspension was because you can't skirt punishment by quitting. Tressel quit when he was still eligible to coach for the same circumstances. In a league that views that coaches and employees are to be held at the same if not stronger level as the players, how would Tressel resigning to avoid punishment be looked at any differently?

And breaking rules might not be against the law, but its still breaking rules.

September 4th, 2011, 7:45 am
RIP Killer

njroar wrote:
Well they have to do something. Pryor was still eligible when he announced he was leaving OSU and enter the supplemental draft. The suspension was because you can't skirt punishment by quitting. Tressel quit when he was still eligible to coach for the same circumstances. In a league that views that coaches and employees are to be held at the same if not stronger level as the players, how would Tressel resigning to avoid punishment be looked at any differently?

And breaking rules might not be against the law, but its still breaking rules.

As I said before, if they are going to make that stand for Pryor and the rules for drafting fine, just be consistent. This is the first time they've even attempted to pursue it, if it is that they want to change policy, then just make it across the board and I won't care. They have special rules for drafting and they should be able to enforce on those who might attempt to use it improperly.

For Tressel, the don't have to do a dang thing. Tressel could quit during the NC game at halftime and take a job with the Colts and it is irrelevant. Coaching eligibility is irrelevant. It's a job, he didn't do anything illegal, he doesn't go through a draft. It is not the NFL's job to hand out punishments for the NCAA as nothing illegal was done. The discussion of Tressel getting anything is simply MORONIC. He got the worst punishment possible, he LOST HIS JOB. One the NFL simply cannot even think of replacing.

You guys sit here and call for his head as the ultimate punishment, then turn around and act like he is trying to skimp out on punishment? This is utter nonsense... what next... should be have to donate his heart before dying to save Joe Paterno's life as a coach for 20 more years?

September 4th, 2011, 11:14 am
Junior Varsity

Tressel has a heart?

September 4th, 2011, 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 68  Next