View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 20th, 2014, 8:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 68  Next
 OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction? 
Post Re: OSU and Tattos
I wonder if Pryor would have said the same thing if Cam Newton wasn't coming out this year? It's funny that he didn't make his statements until after Cam declared. There was a shot that TP could have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick before Cam declared, after Cam declared he wouldn't have went until the 3rd - 5th round.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with potential future penalties (I love how the whole rental car thing has totally been dismissed, without any investigation by the NCAA), and a shortened season for Pryor and co. Rumor is that OSU is going to try to appeal to get the suspension reduced from 5 to 3 games. I think the NCAA should allow OSU to play while they're appealing, and force them to take the suspension during the Big 10 season, if they choose to push the issue.

January 17th, 2011, 7:32 pm
RIP Killer

If there was any legitamacy to the rental car thing they would have dug deeper, the ncaa doesn't investigate everything. I'm sure any appeal process willl be well over by the season. There is a difference between hoping and thinking they should...

January 17th, 2011, 8:04 pm
steensn wrote:
If there was any legitamacy to the rental car thing they would have dug deeper, the ncaa doesn't investigate everything. I'm sure any appeal process willl be well over by the season. There is a difference between hoping and thinking they should...

Legitimacy? It was ADMITTED that he was given an Escalade to take home for a weekend. The rumor was that it was either: 1) an extended test drive, or 2) a rental while his POS was in the shop for service. I'm sorry but that's not standard practice available to anyone that walks in off of the street, and this is DEFINITELY a privilege that he got because of his status at OSU.

January 17th, 2011, 9:56 pm
RIP Killer

In one instance he had a DODGE while his engine was being replaced. Common practice, I think you can agree there.

The 2004 Denali, I got nothing. It was said that the dealer does that kind of stuff for everyone. I cannot confirm, but I here others in the area are trying to get the same deal. Evidently this car dealership is extreme and does some crazy stuff for customers. Did they MORE crazy stuff because he was a OSU football player? IDK, I don't know how that stacks up. It wasn't a top of the line awesome car, it wasn't out of Terrell's families price range. He himself drive a Dodge Charger that his family bought him in high school before he came to OSU. If anyone knows anything about cars, that means they bought a car about the same price range as the GMC he test drove.

And to say the NCAA is being lenient with OSU is crap, they gave 5 of their BEST players a 5 game suspension for MINOR infractions while parents are shopping kids around with not even a slap on the wrist.

January 18th, 2011, 11:26 am
ST Coordinator – John Bonamego

steensn wrote:
In one instance he had a DODGE while his engine was being replaced. Common practice, I think you can agree there.

The 2004 Denali, I got nothing. It was said that the dealer does that kind of stuff for everyone. I cannot confirm, but I here others in the area are trying to get the same deal. Evidently this car dealership is extreme and does some crazy stuff for customers. Did they MORE crazy stuff because he was a OSU football player? IDK, I don't know how that stacks up. It wasn't a top of the line awesome car, it wasn't out of Terrell's families price range. He himself drive a Dodge Charger that his family bought him in high school before he came to OSU. If anyone knows anything about cars, that means they bought a car about the same price range as the GMC he test drove.

And to say the NCAA is being lenient with OSU is crap, they gave 5 of their BEST players a 5 game suspension for MINOR infractions while parents are shopping kids around with not even a slap on the wrist.

Preach on brother! I personally think the whole Cam Newton thing got swept under the rug for reasons I have yet to understand....

January 18th, 2011, 4:39 pm
RIP Killer

I haven't complained about it because I want to give the NCAA the benefit of the doubt. OSU got a fair punishment and the NCAA is being consistent in their rulings. We can not like them, but they are consistent. They have been giving the students the benefit of the doubt.

January 18th, 2011, 5:12 pm
RIP Killer

Buckeyes' return a testament to Tressel

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/ ... to-tressel

Quote:
I don't know how many other coaches could do what Tressel did in this situation, especially when some of the players have opportunities to get paid at the next level.

January 19th, 2011, 11:47 am
QB Coach

steensn wrote:
I haven't complained about it because I want to give the NCAA the benefit of the doubt. OSU got a fair punishment and the NCAA is being consistent in their rulings. We can not like them, but they are consistent. They have been giving the students the benefit of the doubt.

Man I don't know how you can say the NCAA is consistent. In my opinion, their rulings are all over the place. Reggie Bush accepts money, he has to forfeit the heisman and USC gets punished with loss of scholarships (which effectively renders the program not able to contend for the next several years). Meanwhile, OSU players are caught doing something supposedly very serious, and they get no punishment in their current year, the school faces zero sanctions, and if the players decide to go pro, they will face zero punishment themselves. There are numerous other examples where schools and players have been punished very severely for infractions that may not be any worse than what OSU did. If USC can be considered complicit in the Reggie Bush saga, then OSU must also be considered somewhat complicit in this deal. It's completely inconsistent in my opinion.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

January 20th, 2011, 12:19 am
RIP Killer

Reggie Bush and his family took a HOUSE and more. We are talking hundreds of thousands of dollars, weekly cash amounts of a couple thousand dollars, etc. As well, he claimed he got over $100,000 from the "student work" program at USC. That compared to a couple thousand dollars from SELLING their stuff. The NCAA is consistent in the fact that the last player to sell something for money was suspended 4 games at the beginning of the season, same deal basically. I just don't see how you can compare a kid taking hundreds of thousands of dollars from boosters and the school to a few kids selling a jersey or pants for really market price, maybe even lower.

January 20th, 2011, 10:24 am
Junior Varsity

Post OSU, Tressel & Pryor - NCAA Violations: Fact or Fiction?
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ys-osuprobe030711

March 8th, 2011, 12:08 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Tressel knew of gear scheme last April
Wow... this will be interesting. I always give the person the benefit of the doub, this doesn't sound like Tressel at all. Would suck...

March 8th, 2011, 11:00 am
Modmin Dude

SBNation wrote:
Jim Tressel's Contract Could Be Voided By Ohio State If Allegations Are True
Mar 08 9:47a
by Holly Anderson

Read More: Ohio St. Buckeyes

In the wake of last night's Yahoo! Sports report that Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel knew of players selling Buckeyes memorabilia as early as last April, the Columbus Dispatch's BuckeyeXtra blog reminds us of a new wrinkle: Apart from any sanctions the NCAA might choose to level at the football program if these allegations are proven, Tressel could lose his contract with the university just for the lie of omission. His current deal with the Buckeyes runs through the 2014 season, and highly subjective message-board chatter has had him pegged as a good bet for retirement once that contract runs out, but depending on how that shakes out, his departure date from Columbus could be abruptly bumped up:

Quote:
If Tressel knew of the potential violations in April and did not act on or inform his superiors about it, he could be charged with NCAA violations including unethical conduct, failure to monitor and/or a failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance. As is standard for most coaches at major Division I schools, Tressel's contract can be terminated for failing to promptly report violations.

Note that there's very recent precedent for an NCAA head coach undergoing this indignity and continuing to serve: Tennessee's Bruce Pearl remains with the Volunteers basketball team despite having his own contract terminated, and is essentially an at-will employee of the university while the NCAA investigation into his program is going on. A contractual halt wouldn't necessarily finish Tressel at Ohio State, if it comes to that.

For more on the Buckeyes memorabilia scandal and for all your Ohio State athletics news and chatter, visit SB Nation's Along The Olentangy.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... violations

March 8th, 2011, 11:13 am
RIP Killer

Firign Tressel wouldn't even be the big deal, if he knowingly did not act on this (the article does not claim he didn't report it up to his superiors mind you) then the Buckeyes could forfeit the 2010 season all together. Again, at this point it is an accusation that no matter what the outcome is will tarnish OSU. If it is true, shame on OSU, if not, shame on Yahoo for not getting enough evidence (like phone records) to show some proof.

March 8th, 2011, 11:19 am
Rookie Player of the Year

SEE YA!!!!

March 8th, 2011, 3:25 pm
RIP Killer

"In May of 2009, The Columbus Dispatch reported that since 2000, Ohio State had reported to the NCAA more than 375 violations—the most of any of the 69 Football Bowl Subdivision schools that provided documents to the newspaper through public-records requests. Most of the infractions were minor and resulted in little or no punishment."

OSU is hte most open school on all of this. Currently we have allegations, let's see how this pans out. I am sure though that A Tressel departure wouldn't be too upsetting to UM fans ;)

March 8th, 2011, 3:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1014 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 68  Next