View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 10:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Boise Suspends Three Players 
RIP Killer

Post Boise Suspends Three Players
pending review by NCAA:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ligibility

September 2nd, 2011, 3:58 pm
Modmin Dude

Post Re: Boise Suspends Three Players
USA Today wrote:
Sep 13, 2011
Boise State football hit with scholarship reductions by NCAA

Boise State's football program will lose three scholarships for three seasons as part of major NCAA violations in the school's athletic department.

The scholarship penalties started this season and run through the 2013-14 academic year. The team will also have reduced amount of practice time due to the violations.

The football program was found to have committed recruiting, impermissible housing and transportation violations involving 63 student-athletes from between 2005 and 2009.

The individual amounts of the violations ranged from $2.34 to a maximum of $417.55 and have been reimbursed.

The school self-imposed a penalty of three scholarships on the football team during the course of two years. The committee on infraction added to that punishment.

"The committee considered careful that these violations in football had occurred over the period of five summers of five years and involved both the benefits provided and ... access to athletic activities," associate commissioner of Southeastern Conference and NCAA committee on infractions member Gregory Sankey said. "In deliberating the penalties it determined that the level that has been identified in that penalty section was appropriate and it was, as you noted, in addition to what the institution had proposed."

The athletic department cited for lack of institutional control and was placed on three years probation in the NCAA investigation that centered on major violations in men's and women's track and field and men's and women's tennis.

Athletic director Gene Bleymaier was fired last month after 30 years at the school. Bleymaier was responsible for installing the blue field at Bronco Stadium and oversaw the development of the football program from a I-AA team to one that played in two BCS bowls games and its move to the Mountain West.

Women's tennis received a one-year postseason ban and scholarship reductions, and former coach Mark Tichenor was given a four-year show cause penalty for providing prospective student-athletes impermissible cash payments, educational expenses, entertainment, lodging, transportation and practice sessions. One student-athlete was allowed to compete one year beyond her eligibility.

An former assistant men's track and field coach was given a two-year show cause penalty for cited for unethical conduct in the recruitment of a prospective student-athlete.

"This was a major case," Sankey said. "I think the extent of the report indicates the number of allegations. They occurred in five sports exceeding five years and, as was noted in the introductory comments, exceeded 75 either prospective student-athletes or student-athletes involvement."

In responding to the punishment, Boise State president Bob Kustra noted the changes made by the school to deal with compliance issues. That office now reports directly to the president's office, rather than the athletic department.

"We defended the athletic program to the best of our abilities at the hearing and had hoped our self-imposed sanctions and corrective measures would be sufficient," said

"A number of decisions have been made since the beginning of the investigation that have demonstrated our commitment to the NCAA process. Boise State will have a diligent and meticulous approach to compliance, with a new level of leadership and accountability. The infractions and subsequent penalties have left us no margin for error going forward, and have changed the nature of oversight required."

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... ductions/1

September 13th, 2011, 4:38 pm
RIP Killer

Boise should have been given the death penalty when they rolled out that blue field.

September 13th, 2011, 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Ouch, the NCAA is more interested in what system you have in place and whether you are doing enough, not whether the students decide to screw up or not anyways.

September 14th, 2011, 8:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]