View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 22nd, 2014, 10:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Urban Meyer / OSU 
Modmin Dude

Post Urban Meyer / OSU
ESPN wrote:
Urban Meyer: No Buckeyes deal
ESPN.com news services

Sources have told WKMG-TV in Orlando that ESPN college football analyst Urban Meyer has agreed in principle to become coach at Ohio State and will be introduced in the coming days. According to WKMG's sources, Meyer has agreed to a seven-year, $40 million deal.

Contacted Wednesday by ESPN, Meyer, who coached Florida to two national championships, denied that he had a deal with Ohio State.

"I have not been offered any job nor is there a deal in place," Meyer said in a statement. "I plan on spending Thanksgiving with my family and will not comment on this any further."

WKMG's sources said Mickey Marotti, the strength coach at Florida, would join Meyer and become Ohio State's director of football operations and that Luke Fickell, currently interim head coach at Ohio State, would stay on as an assistant head coach.

On Saturday, ESPN.com reported through sources that Ohio State had talked to Meyer about becoming coach and that there was strong interest on both sides.

On Monday, Meyer, who left Florida after the 2010 season -- in part because of family and health concerns -- talked about the possibilities of returning to coaching.

"The concerns are still there," Meyer told The Gainesville Sun. "No. 1: My health. No. 2: My family. No. 3: The state of college football. I've done some research into the second one. I've found that it is possible to have balance between your job and your family, that there are coaches out there who are doing it.

"I'm in a good place right now mentally and physically. So if something happens with Ohio State, I'll have a decision to make. But there has been no interview. There has been no offer to make a decision about.

"If there is a decision to be made concerning Ohio State, there will be a lot that will go into it. But right now, there is no decision to be made.

"I love football. It's what I am. I miss it."

The 47-year-old Meyer is an Ohio native. He started his coaching career as a graduate assistant coach for the Buckeyes in 1986.

Meyer won 104 games over 10 years with the Gators, Utah and Bowling Green.

Ohio State promoted Fickell nearly six months ago when Jim Tressel resigned amid an investigation into players trading memorabilia for tattoos in violation of NCAA rules.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... eyes-coach

November 23rd, 2011, 10:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]