View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 19th, 2018, 10:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Brady Hoke. 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Re: Brady Hoke.
The only thing I am not sure of with John Harbaugh. Can he recruit? Has he ever recruited?

October 3rd, 2014, 11:23 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

John Harbaugh has no major experience coaching college ball (he was an assistant for a few years at a handful of small colleges before going to the NFL). He didn't go to Michigan; he has no ties to Michigan other than going to Pioneer high school. He won the Super Bowl and he's young -- if he wanted to leave Baltimore, he could go coach any NFL team he wanted.

I don't understand why people think he would come to Michigan. Frankly, it makes no sense.

Jim Harbaugh is probably also an extreme long shot, but his personality/style may work better in college than the pros, he was QB at Michigan, and he obviously thinks about the school (that dig at Michigan athletics may have been a put down, but it showed that he at least still thought about his alma mater).

Les is a stud but he's also pretty old (61). He's clearly not a long-term solution, but maybe he could come in for a few years and rebuild the program while grooming some coordinator to take over.

But ultimately, in a way, I'd prefer neither. Give me an up-and-coming guy with no ties to Michigan whatsoever. The notion of fabled "Michigan Man" needs to be put to bed for once and for all so we can move on. Pretty much two beliefs have crippled the Michigan program: 1) the fabled Michigan Man and 2) the notion that the big 10 is "special" and requires a certain sort of style/players to win. The Big 10 is not special, it is a bad conference, one of the worst in the nation, and any half-decent team could win it.

What set Michigan football back was not Rich Rod but a combination of Lloyd Carr, Bill Martin and Dave Brandon: Lloyd Carr for retiring either too late or too early so we couldn't line up a suitable, more traditional replacement; Martin for not giving Rich Rod the money to hire a good DC; Brandon for replacing him with a bozo. If you can ditch Rich Rod for Harbaugh or Miles in 2011 then fine, do that deal every day of the week and twice on Sundays. But if all you can get is a career .500 Mac coach, pay for a more prominent DC and give Rich Rod one more year. If any of those things had happened, we'd be much better off today. Instead, everyone is going to have to get fired and we're going to have to rebuild the entire program once more.

October 4th, 2014, 2:21 pm
National Champion

Yikes, that awkward moment when a Spartan fan starts to pity the Wolverines. I have to admit I was enjoying the demise of your program, but now it's starting to be like beating a dead horse.

October 4th, 2014, 10:40 pm

When I said Michigan might not win another game this season, I wasn't exaggerating -- we seriously might.

DB & Brady Hoke have run this program straight into the ground. Brady Hoke is the worst head coach Michigan has ever had.

October 5th, 2014, 12:54 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

john harbaugh was living in ann arbor bc his dad was an assistant coach at michigan. he understands the tradition and its a job he could desire. still i think its a longshot he gets ousted from his job in baltimore. i really dont think les is too old for anything, he could easily coach 10 years and looks like he s in good physical condition. i dont have any problem with an outside guy but if they are going to follow the rich rod pathway of alienating boosters, recruiting bases, force too many players out of the program, etc then they will fail just like he did.

October 5th, 2014, 1:15 am

I'd be thrilled with either of the Harbaughs or Miles, just don't think it's likely.

All I want is a coach with a proven track record. My worst nightmare would be another Hoke: Someone like Cam Cameron. Michigan needs to hire someone that Texas or Oklahoma or OSU would want.

A name that's been tossed around recently is Narduzzi. No offense to State (they've been a far better program than Michigan over the last seven years, and they'll likely destroy Michigan 48-3 later this month) but I wouldn't be overly thrilled. His defenses have been good, but I wonder how much of that is Dantonio.

October 5th, 2014, 11:08 pm
RIP Killer

No offense taken and you can't have him anyway!

I don't see Michigan promoting another teams coordinator to HC to learn on the job. They have also failed at taking a coach from a smaller program.

Michigan needs a proven head coach who has done it at major program. The question now is, will someone like that be interested in coaching at Michigan?

October 6th, 2014, 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

Probably Zero chance this will happen.

Quote:
Jon Gruden's College Profile Reveals He Wanted to Coach Michigan Wolverines
By Kyle Newport , Featured Columnist
Oct 9, 2014

If the 2-4 Brady Hoke-led Michigan Wolverines are looking for a new leader, a Super Bowl-winning coach might be available. Well, that's if old media guides are to be believed.

While San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh is a popular name who may be available after the 2014 season, Jon Gruden is another potential candidate to keep an eye on.

In Gruden's college profile at the University of Dayton, he revealed that he wanted to coach the Wolverines. Of course, he never did, instead starting out at the University of Tennessee in 1985 as a graduate assistant and finishing his career as a head coach with Oakland Raiders (1998–2001) and Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2002–2008).

He won Super Bowl XXXVII with the Bucs for the 2002 season and has a career head coaching record of 95-81.

Gruden, 51, hasn't coached since 2008 with the Buccaneers, and he currently works for ESPN as an NFL analyst.

October 10th, 2014, 8:56 am
Team MVP

...and he's gone

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11968463/brady-hoke-michigan-wolverines-head-coach
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Brady Hoke had enough time at Michigan, but not enough wins, interim athletic director Jim Hackett said Tuesday night.

Hackett formally announced his decision to fire the Wolverines' head coach shortly after Hoke shared the news with his team Tuesday afternoon. Hoke ends his four-year tenure in Ann Arbor with a 31-20 record. Hackett said the universal respect players and peers held for Hoke made his choice a difficult one.

"This was not an easy decision," Hackett said. "Everywhere I go there is zero question about Brady's values."

Hoke did not leave through the front doors of Schembechler Hall, the team's practice facility, but released a statement about his departure.

It said, in part: "I want to thank all of the sons that played for our teams and appreciate the commitment that our coaches and support staff made to the program every day. I will miss the relationships that I've been fortunate enough to make within this university and community."

Players left the team's practice facility teary-eyed after meeting with Hoke. Hackett said he spoke briefly with the team this afternoon, but didn't want to interfere with Hoke's final meeting with his players. He said he intends to talk more with the players about what criteria they feel are important in a new coach at a later date.

The search for Hoke's replacement will begin immediately, according to Hackett. He defined the criteria for candidates as "winning with the shared values of the University of Michigan."

Hackett said he has a specific deadline in mind for when he wants to have a new coach in place, but did not share that date publicly. He plans to use an executive search firm that is familiar with Michigan and its athletic department to help make the process run smoothly.

He was explicit in saying that having a history at Michigan and being a "Michigan man" was not a prerequisite for getting the job.

Michigan will start 2015 with its third coach since 2008. Quite a difference from the stability the program once enjoyed.

"I want to get rid of the word 'Michigan Man,' " said Hackett, who stepped into temporarily run the athletic department one month ago. A former center at Michigan under Bo Schembechler and CEO of office furniture company Steelcase, Hackett plans to be the man who will hire Hoke's replacement.

Hoke, who is owed a $3 million buyout, earned the title of a Michigan Man when he told reporters he would've walked to Ann Arbor to accept the Wolverines' job when he was introduced as the head coach four years ago. He served as an assistant at Michigan from 1995 until 2002, when he left to take the head coaching job at Ball State.

With his Michigan tie, Hoke was hired to stabilize the program following the tumultuous tenure of Rich Rodriguez. Rodriguez, now the head coach at Arizona, was named the Pac-12 Coach of the Year on Tuesday.

The Wolverines' underwhelming performance also led to the resignation of former athletic director Dave Brandon, the man who had hired Hoke.

Hoke won 11 games and the Sugar Bowl in his first season as Michigan's head coach, but his team's trended steadily downward in the three years that followed. The Wolverines' loss to rival Ohio State last weekend dropped their record to 5-7 and ended their first losing season since 2009. Michigan is just 1-10 in their last 11 games against the Buckeyes and have not won a Big Ten title since 2004.

I totally agree with this article:
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/108901/michigan-must-ditch-crutch-of-tradition
Michigan has made the difficult but correct decision to part with one of its own, a man who took the Wolverines' head-coaching job without discussing salary, who said he would have walked to Ann Arbor from San Diego for the gig.

"Getting over the Rockies would have been a little tough," Brady Hoke said in January 2011, "but we would have figured that out."

Hoke delivered that and other memorable lines during an introductory news conference that he won by four touchdowns, mainly because he accentuated his love and appreciation for Michigan's traditions and history. His three-digit labels for his Wolverines teams nodded to the past -- Team 132, Team 133 and so on -- and his refusal to call Michigan's rival by its full name delighted the fan base.

This guy gets us, they said, unlike that last guy. Never mind those unremarkable head-coaching credentials (47-50 at Ball State and San Diego State).

"He doesn't have to learn the words to 'The Victors,'" then-athletic director Dave Brandon said at the time. "He has sung it many times in the locker room."

But Hoke didn't sing "The Victors" enough during his three-plus years at Michigan, and that's why he's out of a job. Appreciating and extolling Michigan's tradition isn't enough when you don't add to it. Dinging Ohio State isn't enough when you don't beat the Buckeyes very often. Defining successful seasons by Big Ten championships isn't enough when you don't deliver any. Wearing legends jerseys isn't enough when the current players aren't performing anywhere near legendary levels.

Hoke fit Michigan's culture better than Rich Rodriguez did. But neither man restored the glory. Michigan hired the opposite of Rodriguez in Hoke -- a defensive coach with deep roots in the program -- but got similarly underwhelming results.

As Michigan embarks on its third coaching search in seven years, it must truly look outward rather than inward. The school must cast a wide net and not eliminate candidates just because they've never set foot in Schembechler Hall and can't recite how many Big Ten championships the Wolverines have won.

It's 42, by the way. Michigan's top priority must be finding the guy who can win No. 43.

I'd be all for Michigan hiring Les Miles as its next coach or, as farfetched as it sounds, Jim Harbaugh (I don't consider John Harbaugh even a fringe candidate). But not because Miles and Harbaugh played at Michigan, or because Harbaugh grew up in Ann Arbor while his dad worked as a Michigan assistant coach.

Both are good hires because they win. Harbaugh transformed the Stanford program and has guided the San Francisco 49ers to a Super Bowl appearance and three NFC title games. Miles owns a national title and 103 wins at LSU.

Their Michigan connection is a nice bonus, but not the driving force.

If both men say no -- a likely possibility for Harbaugh, who will have other NFL opportunities if he parts ways with the 49ers; Miles, meanwhile, might want to stay with his damn fine football team in Baton Rouge -- Michigan must cast a wider net. Insular thinking will hurt Michigan in this search. So will arrogance.

Any coach interim athletic director Jim Hackett hires will have at least a decent knowledge of the program's tradition. Hackett, who, like Brandon, is a former Wolverines football player under Bo Schembechler, will make certain of it.

But celebrating what Michigan used to be ultimately isn't enough. Hoke showed that. It's about transforming what Michigan is -- a program that, despite every imaginable resource, has failed to win the Big Ten in a decade -- into something more successful.

Tradition is a great thing in college football. It also can be a crutch. Michigan's next coach should emphasize forging a new chapter in program history, while maintaining respect for the past.

If the right coach has no previous ties to Michigan, so be it. Alabama fell out of relevance when it made hiring its own -- Mike DuBose, Mike Shula -- a priority. Nick Saban was an outsider, and he's done OK in T-Town.

Former USC assistants Paul Hackett and Ted Tollner didn't work out as Trojans head coaches, but Pete Carroll, a first-timer at Heritage Hall, certainly did. Oklahoma has had more recent success hiring outside the Sooner family (Bob Stoops) than inside it (John Blake, Gary Gibbs).

College football history is filled with outsiders who pushed tradition-rich programs into the future, from Ara Parseghian at Notre Dame to Mack Brown at Texas to Schembechler at Michigan.

"I'm sure a job of that magnitude, that'll be a national search," an agent who represents college football coaches told me. "That'll be a big one."

During his introduction, Hoke bristled when told of the perception that Michigan is no longer an elite job.

"This is an elite job and will continue to be an elite job," Hoke said. "This is Michigan, for god sake."

He's right. But what Michigan is and what Michigan was are different things. Michigan fans hate the notion that the program is stuck in the past.

This hire is a chance to move Michigan forward. The right hire might happen to a Michigan Man, but it can't be the other way around.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson

December 2nd, 2014, 8:27 pm

*goes back and reads the Rich Rod topic*

Everything I said in regards to firing Rich Rod and hiring Hoke was 100% spot on. And you guys called me crazy.

December 2nd, 2014, 8:46 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Blueskies wrote:
*goes back and reads the Rich Rod topic*

Everything I said in regards to firing Rich Rod and hiring Hoke was 100% spot on. And you guys called me crazy.

If you are saying you think they should ve kept Rich Rod you are absolutely crazy.

December 2nd, 2014, 10:57 pm

Yes, Rich Rod should've gotten one more year. It's possible he would've went 11-1 like Hoke in 2011 and we would be in a far different place. Or maybe not, and we would've hired someone else in 2012. Either way, Rich Rod is much better coach than Hoke, who absolutely never should've been hired.

December 2nd, 2014, 11:01 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Blueskies wrote:
Yes, Rich Rod should've gotten one more year. It's possible he would've went 11-1 like Hoke in 2011 and we would be in a far different place. Or maybe not, and we would've hired someone else in 2012. Either way, Rich Rod is much better coach than Hoke, who absolutely never should've been hired.

rich rod was a total failure in every imaginable way at michigan. the truth is hoke did a much better job at michigan than rich rod did. its not even remotely debatable. they both did a poor job on the football field but hoke brought progress in many many other ways.

December 3rd, 2014, 8:26 pm
RIP Killer

Rich Rod at UofM 3-9, 5-7, 7-6 (trending up)
Hoke at UofM 11-2, 8-5, 7-6, 5-7 (trending down)

Rich Rod, last 3 seasons at WV were 11-1, 11-2, 10-2 in the Big East(60-26 overall), now has Arizona at 10-2 in the Pac-12 (26-12 overall).

Brady Hoke was a sub .500 coach at Ball State in the MAC and had San Diego State just one game over .500 in the Mountain West.

Hoke did well with Rich Rod's guys for a year or two, but the trend was obvious. If I'm an AD at a school, I know which coach I'd pick to run my program...

December 4th, 2014, 9:45 am
Profile WWW

In what ways did Hoke improve the program?

December 4th, 2014, 10:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next