View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 19th, 2018, 4:59 pm



Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 UofM coaching search. 
Author Message
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9053
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post UofM coaching search.
How about Jay Gruden? I just read a report that said Hacket has contacted Gruden's people.


December 9th, 2014, 5:26 pm
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5067
Location: WSU
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
BillySims wrote:
How about Jay Gruden? I just read a report that said Hacket has contacted Gruden's people.



Jay or Jon?


December 10th, 2014, 12:26 am
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5067
Location: WSU
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports ... /20183463/

supposedly duke coach turned UM down, really hoping this one isnt true...


December 10th, 2014, 8:15 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3312
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
The Legend wrote:
Quote:
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/2014/12/10/report-dukes-david-cutcliffe-turned-down-michigan-job/20183463/


supposedly duke coach turned UM down, really hoping this one isnt true...

If true it could be due to a number of things: Cutcliffe has started building a solid program at Duke and he may want to see it through. He's also an older guy and may not want to coach for much longer, so coming to Michigan may not be a very good fit. Lastly (and I think this does play a role), Michigan isn't the high profile job it once was. Just like many programs when they go through a prolonged dry spell, it loses it's luster a bit. If you look at winning percentages over the past 10 years, Michigan only wins about 60% of it's games, wich is ranked 30th, right behind Notre Dame. Of course, that doesn't tell the whole story, and with a traditional power, 1 or 2 winning seasons puts them right back on the map. Look at Alabama. Before Saban, they were a once-upon-a-time great program that was no longer very relevant nationally. Now, they're back to being the best program in the country. Michigan can get there, but they need to win consistently.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 10th, 2014, 9:14 am
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9053
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
How about Jay Gruden? I just read a report that said Hacket has contacted Gruden's people.



Jay or Jon?



JAY.


December 10th, 2014, 12:55 pm
Profile
Megatron
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12534
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
How about Jay Gruden? I just read a report that said Hacket has contacted Gruden's people.
Jay or Jon?
:confused:
:wink:

and then this popped in my head and I can't make it stop....ugh ](*,)

_________________
Quote:
Detroit vs. Everybody
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


December 10th, 2014, 1:24 pm
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9053
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
TheRealWags wrote:
The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
How about Jay Gruden? I just read a report that said Hacket has contacted Gruden's people.
Jay or Jon?
:confused:
:wink:

and then this popped in my head and I can't make it stop....ugh ](*,)


Here is the article I read. http://www.maizenbrew.com/2014/12/8/7354941/michigan-coaching-search-michigan-jay-gruden

Quote:
According to a report from RealGM's Jeff Risdon, Michigan has reportedly reached out to current Washington Redskin coach Jay Gruden.



The rumors of potential replacements for Brady Hoke keep swirling.

It's clear that the University of Michigan is looking at current NFL head coach Jim Harbaugh, a former player under Bo Schembechler, to be the savior of the program. However, it appears that U-M could also be looking at another currently employed NFL coach as well.

According to RealGM's Jeff Risdon, U-M has apparently reached out to the representatives of Washington Redskins head coach Jay Gruden.

"One source I trust tipped me off to a potential landing spot for Gruden: The University of Michigan," reported Risdon in his weekly $.10 column. "This source, who is intimately familiar with the Wolverines' rapidly emerging coaching search, informed me on Thursday that initial contact has been made between the parties and that Gruden's representation was enthusiastically open to the potential."

It appears that interim athletic director Jim Hackett is prepared to swing for the fences in his pursuit of Harbaugh, with the chances he heads back to Ann Arbor growing slim, it would make sense for U-M to look for back-up options.

Is a Gruden in Ann Arbor likely? Risdon says it's hard to tell.

"I can't put a figure on the likelihood of Gruden fleeing to Ann Arbor," he wrote. "Another UM source I trust refused to confirm anything I asked, but it's an interesting leverage point nonetheless."

Interesting leverage point or not, the on-field product the Redskins have been displaying won't exactly translate to U-M fan excitement if Gruden is the choice.


Personally, I would not mind Jay being the HC. I would prefer John. But, that ain't happening. John likes his TV gig more than coaching.

But, I bet you that John would do everything he could to help his brother recruit. And I bet he would be a frequent visitor at UofM. And I bet you John would speak highly of UofM every chance he gets in his TV gig.

My preference is still Jim Harbaugh. And I hope the Rams beat the 49ers this weekend and they fire Jim on Monday. So, maybe by next week Jim will have assessed his NFL options to be slim pickings and accepted the UofM job. (Even though I fully expect him to fly back to the NFL at some point. Hopefully, he rebuilds the program and in 4 years, hands it off to someone that can maintain it like he did at Stanford.)

I am also on board with Les Miles if he should choose to accept the UofM job.

I just want the next HC to hold the following principles in high regard.

1. Be strong in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
2. Have a QB playing the QB position. Not a RB ( Shoelace). Not a WR ( Gardner). A QB!
3. Have a strong running game. Even if we are a Passing dominated team.
4. Have a relentless, attacking defense.

Basically, what we used to be.
But, 1 more thing:

NO MERCY!!!!! When you smell blood, go for the Juggler vein and rip their throats out.

Of course, I'm not asking too much am I?


December 10th, 2014, 10:50 pm
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9053
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
Here is an out of the box idea that would be sure to get the Buckeye's panties in a bunch.

How about Jim Tressell? He is a very good HC. A proven leader. Coaches from the same traditional philosophy that UofM is traditionally known for.

We would just have to write it in his contract, NO SWEATER VESTS! LOL


December 11th, 2014, 10:44 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10057
Location: Dallas
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
Quote:
Of course, I'm not asking too much am I?


Of course you are...

First, if you are a top coach do you want to get hired by an interim AD? You won't be "the guy" for the next AD who will likely want to put his own stamp on the program. Secondly, Michigan is dysfunctional right now, the problems run deeper than Hoke. Third, this isn't a warm weather campus where top recruits want to go. Fourth, it is in the Big Ten - nuff said. Fifth, you have a fan base who is living in the past and can't grasp the reality of the current status of the program. To quote Billy "Basically, what we used to be"...

I could go on an on, but honestly I just don't see Michigan as an attractive option for a head coach right now. Sorry, Billy. Best bet is to get an ego maniac like Harbaugh to ignore all of that and give it a go. That said, his ego is what will probably keep him in the NFL.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 11th, 2014, 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9053
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
BillySims wrote:
Here is an out of the box idea that would be sure to get the Buckeye's panties in a bunch.

How about Jim Tressell? He is a very good HC. A proven leader. Coaches from the same traditional philosophy that UofM is traditionally known for.

We would just have to write it in his contract, NO SWEATER VESTS! LOL


I am at Chase Brass in Montpelier, OH. I just ran this idea past a Buckeye fan. The look of fear on his face was priceless because he thought I said we hired Tressell. LOL.


December 11th, 2014, 11:21 am
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9053
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
Pablo wrote:
Quote:
Of course, I'm not asking too much am I?


Of course you are...

First, if you are a top coach do you want to get hired by an interim AD? You won't be "the guy" for the next AD who will likely want to put his own stamp on the program. Secondly, Michigan is dysfunctional right now, the problems run deeper than Hoke. Third, this isn't a warm weather campus where top recruits want to go. Fourth, it is in the Big Ten - nuff said. Fifth, you have a fan base who is living in the past and can't grasp the reality of the current status of the program. To quote Billy "Basically, what we used to be"...

I could go on an on, but honestly I just don't see Michigan as an attractive option for a head coach right now. Sorry, Billy. Best bet is to get an ego maniac like Harbaugh to ignore all of that and give it a go. That said, his ego is what will probably keep him in the NFL.


I do agree that we need to get the permanent AD named and in place like yesterday.
As for everything else you said, I disagree. Dominating the LOS, running the ball, and playing aggressive defense still wins games. As it always will. They are the most basic fundamentals of football. Tell me how no one will sign on to play football up north. And then take a look at all the top notch blue chippers OSU can recruit each year.
All you need is an adequate AD and a very good HC that can attract and retain top notch assistants. And as much as you don't want to admit it, UofM will get back to being big brother at some point. Being less than big brother simply is not acceptable at Michigan. By the way, how has Sparty been doing in Basketball lately? It's almost like UofM and MSU switched uniforms or something.


December 11th, 2014, 11:32 am
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10057
Location: Dallas
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Quote:
Of course, I'm not asking too much am I?


Of course you are...

First, if you are a top coach do you want to get hired by an interim AD? You won't be "the guy" for the next AD who will likely want to put his own stamp on the program. Secondly, Michigan is dysfunctional right now, the problems run deeper than Hoke. Third, this isn't a warm weather campus where top recruits want to go. Fourth, it is in the Big Ten - nuff said. Fifth, you have a fan base who is living in the past and can't grasp the reality of the current status of the program. To quote Billy "Basically, what we used to be"...

I could go on an on, but honestly I just don't see Michigan as an attractive option for a head coach right now. Sorry, Billy. Best bet is to get an ego maniac like Harbaugh to ignore all of that and give it a go. That said, his ego is what will probably keep him in the NFL.


I do agree that we need to get the permanent AD named and in place like yesterday.
As for everything else you said, I disagree. Dominating the LOS, running the ball, and playing aggressive defense still wins games. As it always will. They are the most basic fundamentals of football. Tell me how no one will sign on to play football up north. And then take a look at all the top notch blue chippers OSU can recruit each year.
All you need is an adequate AD and a very good HC that can attract and retain top notch assistants. And as much as you don't want to admit it, UofM will get back to being big brother at some point. Being less than big brother simply is not acceptable at Michigan. By the way, how has Sparty been doing in Basketball lately? It's almost like UofM and MSU switched uniforms or something.


OSU is the one exception up north for football. Look at the top 10 rankings for 2014, only one northern team ranked - OSU. Notre Dame is the only other northern team in the top 20. (MSU = 22, UofM = 31).

As for Sparty basketball, they have been fine. They are playing their usual tough early season schedule when they don't really care about W/L - it is about being exposed to lots of high level programs that play very different styles so they are reach for March.

Let's see, they lost by 1 at Notre Dame. They also lost to Duke and Kansas, neither one of those games were in East Lansing either.

Now, let's talk UofM basketball, they have lost their last two games, both at home, to Eastern Michigan and N.J.I.T. - whom I've never heard of. Downright embarrassing and please don't say their playing like MSU right now... LOL

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 11th, 2014, 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9053
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
UofM in the final 4 the last 2 years. They will be there again this year. It's been a while since MSU could say that. LOL


December 11th, 2014, 12:21 pm
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5067
Location: WSU
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
Pablo wrote:
Quote:
Of course, I'm not asking too much am I?


Of course you are...

First, if you are a top coach do you want to get hired by an interim AD? You won't be "the guy" for the next AD who will likely want to put his own stamp on the program. Secondly, Michigan is dysfunctional right now, the problems run deeper than Hoke. Third, this isn't a warm weather campus where top recruits want to go. Fourth, it is in the Big Ten - nuff said. Fifth, you have a fan base who is living in the past and can't grasp the reality of the current status of the program. To quote Billy "Basically, what we used to be"...

I could go on an on, but honestly I just don't see Michigan as an attractive option for a head coach right now. Sorry, Billy. Best bet is to get an ego maniac like Harbaugh to ignore all of that and give it a go. That said, his ego is what will probably keep him in the NFL.



recruits like warm weather but they want a coach who puts people in the NFL much much more. Miles or Harbaugh fit that. jay gruden, sutcliffe - no thanks.


December 11th, 2014, 1:24 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10057
Location: Dallas
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
BillySims wrote:
UofM in the final 4 the last 2 years. They will be there again this year. It's been a while since MSU could say that. LOL


Oh, I thought you said "lately" meaning recently... :oops:

And you might want to get your facts straight, MSU lost in the Elite 8 to the eventual Champion UConn team last year. I'm not sure what you are smoking, but UofM wasn't in the Final Four last year either and got crushed by MSU in the Big Ten Tournament final.

Michigan has been in ONE final four in the last 20 years, MSU has been in the tournament 17 straight year and made SIX final fours in that time (that is the TOTAL # of times UofM has even played in the tournament during that timespan), a couple of championship games and won a title.

And you could never say MSU has suffered back-to-back home loses to Eastern and N.J.I.T. - LOL! Doesn't sound like a final four team to me unless Eastern and N.J.I.T. are surprise national powers.

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 11th, 2014, 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.