View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 20th, 2018, 10:01 am



Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 UofM coaching search. 
Author Message
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5082
Location: WSU
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
is it a done deal? it looks like harbaugh is supposed to also meet with the oakland raiders prior to making up his mind.


December 28th, 2014, 2:17 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3312
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
The Legend wrote:
is it a done deal? it looks like harbaugh is supposed to also meet with the oakland raiders prior to making up his mind.

It's not official yet but every indication is that he will be the coach. Nothing can be official until after today (final NFL game for SF). So things will become clear very soon.

_________________
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” - Neil deGrasse Tyson


December 28th, 2014, 9:10 am
Profile
Team MVP
User avatar

Joined: August 21st, 2005, 3:36 am
Posts: 3312
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
And then there's this

December 28th, 2014, 9:56 am
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5082
Location: WSU
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
but why does he want to meet with oakland? im not that worried about oakland truthfully but my worst case scenario is oakland keeps him from finalizing his deal with UM for long enough that Chicago immediately cans Trestman and gives Jim a ring. I dont think Harbaugh is Saban North as others here do but I certainly dont want him coaching the Bears to a quick turnaround. that d be a dramatic disappointment for all UM/Lions fans...


December 28th, 2014, 11:38 am
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9083
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
The Legend wrote:
but why does he want to meet with oakland? im not that worried about oakland truthfully but my worst case scenario is oakland keeps him from finalizing his deal with UM for long enough that Chicago immediately cans Trestman and gives Jim a ring. I dont think Harbaugh is Saban North as others here do but I certainly dont want him coaching the Bears to a quick turnaround. that d be a dramatic disappointment for all UM/Lions fans...


No NFL team can just sign him. He is still under contract to the 49ers. 2 things would have to happen that make another NFL team unlikely. He must agree with a sign and trade. Then the 2 teams must agree to compensation. The 49ers would likely want a couple of 1st round picks. Isn't that what Tampa gave Oakland for Gruden?

I just don't think the NFL thing is gonna happen.


December 28th, 2014, 1:45 pm
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5082
Location: WSU
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
but why does he want to meet with oakland? im not that worried about oakland truthfully but my worst case scenario is oakland keeps him from finalizing his deal with UM for long enough that Chicago immediately cans Trestman and gives Jim a ring. I dont think Harbaugh is Saban North as others here do but I certainly dont want him coaching the Bears to a quick turnaround. that d be a dramatic disappointment for all UM/Lions fans...


No NFL team can just sign him. He is still under contract to the 49ers. 2 things would have to happen that make another NFL team unlikely. He must agree with a sign and trade. Then the 2 teams must agree to compensation. The 49ers would likely want a couple of 1st round picks. Isn't that what Tampa gave Oakland for Gruden?

I just don't think the NFL thing is gonna happen.


In my mind, UM needed to get this done before the NFL season ended. Harbaugh will not want to go to a team giving up draft picks but when the NFL season ends today Harbaugh s job opportunities will be increasing.


December 28th, 2014, 1:56 pm
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5082
Location: WSU
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
The Legend wrote:
BillySims wrote:
The Legend wrote:
but why does he want to meet with oakland? im not that worried about oakland truthfully but my worst case scenario is oakland keeps him from finalizing his deal with UM for long enough that Chicago immediately cans Trestman and gives Jim a ring. I dont think Harbaugh is Saban North as others here do but I certainly dont want him coaching the Bears to a quick turnaround. that d be a dramatic disappointment for all UM/Lions fans...


No NFL team can just sign him. He is still under contract to the 49ers. 2 things would have to happen that make another NFL team unlikely. He must agree with a sign and trade. Then the 2 teams must agree to compensation. The 49ers would likely want a couple of 1st round picks. Isn't that what Tampa gave Oakland for Gruden?

I just don't think the NFL thing is gonna happen.


In my mind, UM needed to get this done before the NFL season ended. Harbaugh will not want to go to a team giving up draft picks but when the NFL season ends today Harbaugh s job opportunities will be increasing.


a couple of GM/head coach jobs now open - Bears and Jets. May be the only things that could sway Harbaugh if someone was willing to hand him that Belichik level of power but hopefully he has made up his mind and is signed, sealed and a man of his word.


December 29th, 2014, 11:20 am
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3122
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
It's a done deal. Shouldn't take him too long to win a national championship. I say four years.


December 29th, 2014, 12:23 pm
Profile
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Joined: February 11th, 2005, 3:01 pm
Posts: 5082
Location: WSU
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
Blueskies wrote:
It's a done deal. Shouldn't take him too long to win a national championship. I say four years.



Woo Hoo!

1st step, add another QB to this year s recruiting class. Any word on assistants?


December 29th, 2014, 12:30 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3122
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
There were rumors that UCLA's top recruit, and the top QB in the country, Josh Rosen, would switch to Michigan. He shot it down. Still, I think, with Andrew Luck under his belt, any QB recruit is going to take Harbaugh's call.


December 29th, 2014, 12:41 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3122
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
There are only two things I don't like about this hire:

1) Harbaugh is the most Michigan "Michigan Man" you could possibly get. He makes Brady Hoke look like an Ohio State slappy by comparison.

and

2) He uses an extremely old school style of power football

He perpetuates what I call The Michigan Myth: The idea that Michigan should only hire Michigan Man coaches who like to run the football a lot. The last seven years of hell have been basically for nothing. And when Harbaugh retires or goes back to the NFL, the idiots in the fan base will continue to clamor for a coach that fits both those criteria.

But if it gets us another NC or two, then I can't really complain.


December 29th, 2014, 1:15 pm
Profile
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9083
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
Blueskies wrote:
There are only two things I don't like about this hire:

1) Harbaugh is the most Michigan "Michigan Man" you could possibly get. He makes Brady Hoke look like an Ohio State slappy by comparison.

and

2) He uses an extremely old school style of power football

He perpetuates what I call The Michigan Myth: The idea that Michigan should only hire Michigan Man coaches who like to run the football a lot. The last seven years of hell have been basically for nothing. And when Harbaugh retires or goes back to the NFL, the idiots in the fan base will continue to clamor for a coach that fits both those criteria.

But if it gets us another NC or two, then I can't really complain.


The method works. That is the exact same method Saban uses at Alabama. I guess Nick Saban is an idiot.


December 29th, 2014, 1:25 pm
Profile
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm
Posts: 3122
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
Thanks for proving my point for me.

But...

Nick Saban had no ties to Bama before he got there.

and

Alabama is one of the only top CFB programs that still uses a pro style offense. You are literally cherry picking the exception and saying it's the rule. Stanford and MSU are the only other two schools that come close, depending on whether or not you believe they qualify as top programs. Pretty much every other school that finished in the top 25 this year used the spread.

EDIT:

Just want to clarify -- I'm not saying spread is the way to go. What I'm saying is that offensive/defensive philosophy doesn't really matter. Any scheme can work if you can recruit the right players and coach them up properly. The important thing is not the scheme, but the quality of the coaching staff and the support they receive.


Last edited by Blueskies on December 29th, 2014, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.



December 29th, 2014, 1:34 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 9:21 am
Posts: 10064
Location: Dallas
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
I think Harbaugh is the best UofM could hope for and I have my fingers crossed he is the next coach. I don't think he will be there very long but should help them find a QB and bring them back to respectability in a hurry...

I'm very excited for the Wolverines - Go Blue!

_________________
Image
LB Tweet


December 29th, 2014, 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford
User avatar

Joined: May 7th, 2005, 3:25 pm
Posts: 9083
Location: Earth/Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy
Post Re: UofM coaching search.
Blueskies wrote:
Thanks for proving my point for me.

But...

Nick Saban had no ties to Bama before he got there.

and

Alabama is one of the only top CFB programs that still uses a pro style offense. You are literally cherry picking the exception and saying it's the rule. Stanford and MSU are the only other two schools that come close, depending on whether or not you believe they qualify as top programs. Pretty much every other school that finished in the top 25 this year used the spread.


I would say it is the rule and not the exception since Saban is the guy everyone says is the best college football coach today and wins the national championship the most often.


December 29th, 2014, 1:37 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.