View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 10th, 2018, 4:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 UofM coaching search. 
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Post Re: UofM coaching search.
To repeat in case it was missed:

Just want to clarify -- I'm not saying spread is the way to go. What I'm saying is that offensive/defensive philosophy doesn't really matter. Any scheme can work if you can recruit the right players and coach them up properly. The important thing is not the scheme, but the quality of the coaching staff and the support they receive.

Quote:
I would say it is the rule and not the exception since Saban is the guy everyone says is the best college football coach today and wins the national championship the most often.

Saban is a winner. He is a very exceptional coach; up there with the legends of the game.

Top 10 CFB teams as per the AP 25:

Bama - Pro
Oregon - Spread
FSU - Hybrid
OSU - Spread
Baylor - Spread
TCU - Hybrid
Miss State - Spread
MSU - Pro
Ole Miss - Spread
Arizona - Spread

December 29th, 2014, 1:43 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Quote:
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/michigan-wolverines-jim-harbaugh-hire-big-ten-implications/

a good read

December 29th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Article is trash. The idea that Harbaugh can't recruit against Urban Meyer or, of all people, James Franklin, is just nonsense.

Harbaugh is a better coach than Meyer. The only CFB coach right now that has a better resume is Saban.

Last edited by Blueskies on December 29th, 2014, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 29th, 2014, 2:15 pm

We don’t care where we play the game. I hate to say it, but we could play in the parking lot. We could play at 12 noon or midnight. We’re going to be jacked up and we’re going to win.

December 29th, 2014, 2:32 pm
League MVP

Heard it before...and here it is again ... "Wait til next year!" Someone just say it and get it over with.

December 29th, 2014, 3:47 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Blueskies wrote:
Article is trash. The idea that Harbaugh can't recruit against Urban Meyer or, of all people, James Franklin, is just nonsense.

Harbaugh is a better coach than Meyer. The only CFB coach right now that has a better resume is Saban.

the writer didnt question if harbaugh was capable of doing it, he wrote that there may be concern harbaugh might not be motivated or ready the same way he was at past jobs. i have the same concern, could he be biding his time until the next desirable NFL job becomes available? writer went on to elaborate about the parts of the job unique to college esp at schools like michigan that harbaugh may not feel like dealing with. anyway, harbaugh is human like anyone else. he cant put together his staff and guarantee delivery of a national championship recruiting class with 3 weeks to go in whats usually a 2 year process. the article goes on to elaborate on all the reasons harbaugh is the right man for the job as well. its a well thought out and thorough piece.

December 29th, 2014, 8:59 pm

The writer is a PSU alum and a known anti-Michigan troll. Sort of obvious given his mentioning of James Franklin, who hasn't done ****.

See:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/fea ... z3ERIljlr1
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/sugar ... x-success/

Harbaugh is literally the best coach they could've got. He is instantly the second best coach in CFB. He has won every place he's ever been. He's recruited and dealt with boosters before. Him leaving for the NFL after 4-5 years is certainly possible, but why would he come here in the first place if he planned to bolt? That's a legitimate issue that can be raised, but the rest is nonsense.

December 29th, 2014, 10:19 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Blueskies wrote:
The writer is a PSU alum and a known anti-Michigan troll. Sort of obvious given his mentioning of James Franklin, who hasn't done ****.

See:

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/fea ... z3ERIljlr1
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/sugar ... x-success/

Harbaugh is literally the best coach they could've got. He is instantly the second best coach in CFB. He has won every place he's ever been. He's recruited and dealt with boosters before. Him leaving for the NFL after 4-5 years is certainly possible, but why would he come here in the first place if he planned to bolt? That's a legitimate issue that can be raised, but the rest is nonsense.

I agree with the stuff about Franklin and Penn State not making sense. Losing Bill O Brien was a blow to them and I dont think they were that nationally relevant for some time even with Paterno. Franklin might be good but he ll have to prove himself. Also thought Nebraska could ve done a lot better than who they got.

I think Harbaugh s first task is going to be putting his coaching staff together. He may need to hold on to a couple of Hoke guys that were in on recruiting to help salvage a decent class. He hasnt recruited or paid attention to HS football for 4 years and I dont think was mining a lot of Ohio talent from Stanford. He may still have some connections in CA and TX though which could be big even on short notice. But its been a whirlwind season and past few months for Harbaugh and there will be moments when he s travelling to HS towns and dealing with parents where he ll remember why he went to the NFL in the first place. I think its important he manages to pull someone else s QB recruit. USC for example has two highly ranked QB recruits. Harbaugh maybe should go after one of the them.

As for Meyer, he s an insanely good coach and recruiter. Im not sure Harbaugh is hands down better like you say but I do believe he will get energized by the competition with Meyer and by being on campus and by all the positive energy surrounding the program right now. I think Harbaugh will give 5 years here and hopefully have an assistant groomed ready to take over or at least the program primed to where other coaches will want to come but I do think he ll go back to the NFL which is his right. IMO Les Miles was the only better hire possible but there s something bw him and Carr that is divisive to too many and that probably precluded it from happening. Les looks a helluva lot younger than Jim Leyland did when he took over the Tigers and this truly is Les Miles dream job, I think he would ve given UM a strong 8-9 years. Harbaugh was the more unifying choice in that regard but politics were in play not just pure coaching acumen.

December 29th, 2014, 11:27 pm

I do not see how you can argue that Miles is a better coach than Harbaugh.

Not saying Miles is bad -- he's great. But there's a lot of talent in Louisiana. He inherited a strong program that Saban built for him.

What Harbaugh did at Stanford is one of the most impressive things any coach has done in CFB in the last 30 years. That program was putrid, and he turned it around despite high academic standards. Before that, he took San Diego to two back-to-back conference championships and won the mid-major poll. Obviously, he won with the 49ers, a team that, again, was terrible before he got there.

There were several NFL teams that wanted to hire him. Just about any college program in the country would've fired their HC to hire him.

There really isn't anything bad you can say about Jim Harbaugh as a coach.

December 29th, 2014, 11:57 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Blueskies wrote:
I do not see how you can argue that Miles is a better coach than Harbaugh.

Not saying Miles is bad -- he's great. But there's a lot of talent in Louisiana. He inherited a strong program that Saban built for him.

What Harbaugh did at Stanford is one of the most impressive things any coach has done in CFB in the last 30 years. That program was putrid, and he turned it around despite high academic standards. Before that, he took San Diego to two back-to-back conference championships and won the mid-major poll. Obviously, he won with the 49ers, a team that, again, was terrible before he got there.

There were several NFL teams that wanted to hire him. Just about any college program in the country would've fired their HC to hire him.

There really isn't anything bad you can say about Jim Harbaugh as a coach.

Im not saying anything bad about Harbaugh as a coach just that there were factors about Miles that I thought would make him a surer bet. He has won a lot at LSU including a national title which I dont see on Harbaugh s resume. The job he did at Ok State has to be considered as at least on par with Saban at Michigan State and Miles has a better record at LSU than Saban did at LSU. Miles also puts plenty of guys in the NFL and has beaten Saban a few times - plus you dont have to worry about him jumping ship. For all the praise of Harbaugh s job at Stanford which I appreciate as a great turnaround, he wasnt in the SEC, he didnt win the conference, had a worse record there than Brady Hoke at Michigan and he had probably the best QB any coach could ever ask for but will probably never get again. Is he even the best coach in his own family? Okay Im joking about that one its not fair.

Im happy with the hire but nobody is perfect and nothing is guaranteed. I appreciate that the job is difficult and that there are obstacles. Best of luck Jim.

Lets Go Blue!

P.S. For what its worth I think LSU fans would trade Miles for Harbaugh.

December 30th, 2014, 1:24 am
National Champion

So the best coach in the country has had one outstanding season at a power conference school? If you say so, I think the love for Harbaugh is blown way out of control. Good coach, no where near the best coach in college.

December 30th, 2014, 9:37 am
National Champion

PS in his one outstanding season at Standford he didn't even win the Conference title.

December 30th, 2014, 9:51 am
Martha Firestone Ford

Blueskies wrote:

Just want to clarify -- I'm not saying spread is the way to go. What I'm saying is that offensive/defensive philosophy doesn't really matter. Any scheme can work if you can recruit the right players and coach them up properly. The important thing is not the scheme, but the quality of the coaching staff and the support they receive.

Quote:
I would say it is the rule and not the exception since Saban is the guy everyone says is the best college football coach today and wins the national championship the most often.

Saban is a winner. He is a very exceptional coach; up there with the legends of the game.

Bama - Pro
Oregon - Spread
FSU - Hybrid
OSU - Spread
Baylor - Spread
TCU - Hybrid
Miss State - Spread
MSU - Pro
Ole Miss - Spread
Arizona - Spread

I would like to see this list pushed out to the top 30 to see how many schools in the top 30 use the pro set offense. I am in my truck and on my smart phone, so I can't look it all up and keep everything in order. ( not that skilled LOL).

Anyways, would you say that a spread offense requires one skill set and a pro style offense requires a different skill set?

If so, wouldn't it be wise to use the system that the fewest people use because the group of players with that skill set is not being tapped as much? And even if they are being tapped, they are going to schools that their talent isn't going to shine as much because the system is not a good fit for them?
So, IMHO, anyone that is best suited for a pro set offense would immediately put UofM on their list.

December 30th, 2014, 11:37 am
Veteran NFL Head Coach

BillySims wrote:
Blueskies wrote:

Quote:

Bama - Pro
Oregon - Spread
FSU - Hybrid
OSU - Spread
Baylor - Spread
TCU - Hybrid
Miss State - Spread
MSU - Pro
Ole Miss - Spread
Arizona - Spread

I would like to see this list pushed out to the top 30 to see how many schools in the top 30 use the pro set offense. I am in my truck and on my smart phone, so I can't look it all up and keep everything in order. ( not that skilled LOL).

Anyways, would you say that a spread offense requires one skill set and a pro style offense requires a different skill set?

If so, wouldn't it be wise to use the system that the fewest people use because the group of players with that skill set is not being tapped as much? And even if they are being tapped, they are going to schools that their talent isn't going to shine as much because the system is not a good fit for them?
So, IMHO, anyone that is best suited for a pro set offense would immediately put UofM on their list.

I agree with your premise. Thats why these things go in cycles but it also depends on which athletes you can get. If you can get the best spread guys than go get them and run it, if you can get the best pocket passer and power players go get them and run it. The coach needs to have some flexibility.

December 30th, 2014, 2:05 pm

It does go in cycles.

Many of the greatest coaches have been able to transition from one style to another over time.

December 30th, 2014, 2:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next