View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 16th, 2018, 5:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Michigan Football 2015 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Re: Michigan Football 2015
UK Lion wrote:
Yes, I've read the thread.

Newsflash Billy: football games last 60 minutes, and it's the score at the end of 60 minutes that determines the winner. TD's count for 6 points whether they happen in the first 10 seconds or the last 10 seconds.

MSU won, sorry.

They didn't win convincingly. I wouldn't argue they're the better team. But they won, and they won legitimately. No amount of whining will change that.

Youre Pretty obviously the only SpartyFan (at least in this discussion) that feels that way. Pletny of others spouting nosense about being the better team despite losing for 59 minutes and 50s until 1 of the most inconceivable gift TDs in the history of CFB gave them the win on a gema they had lost.

October 19th, 2015, 12:44 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
Youre Pretty obviously the only SpartyFan (at least in this discussion) that feels that way. Pletny of others spouting nosense about being the better team despite losing for 59 minutes and 50s until 1 of the most inconceivable gift TDs in the history of CFB gave them the win on a gema they had lost.

MSU was the better team DJB in every way except for special teams - at least until the last play. Give Harbaugh and Michigan credit for leading the game despite being outplayed. But you know well that the scoreboard doesn't always reflect the play on the field - sometimes the better team loses. That's football (and a lot of other sports).

If your only reasoning for UofM being the better team was they were winning on the scoreboard, then you also would have to say MSU was the better team for having won on the scoreboard at the end. In reality, MSU crushed Michigan 2-1 in first downs, dominated the yardage, ran more plays, won the turnover battle, had fewer penalties, etc.

You could argue that the run offense and defenses cancelled each other out with a difference of 4 yards. Smith lead Michigan with 19 attempts and 46 yards (2.4 ypc). MSU had 3 players each with 8 carries, and the results were the same as Michigans. So you then have to look at pass offense and defense in which there was no contest. Ruddock threw for only 168 yards and no TDs against basically a number of true freshmen who had to fill in for all the injured DBs. Cook had double that against the vaunted UofM secondary.

But go ahead and please tell us how Michigan was the better team Saturday?

October 19th, 2015, 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Better teams dont go 0-4 on 4th down when it counts and they go for it. They may have led some statistical categories.. partial thanks to the refs for helping out with that, but when the chips were down and it was 11 v 11 UM won those dogfights. Then 1 crazy mistake erased all that hard work.

October 19th, 2015, 2:20 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
#1 Overall Pick

DJ-B wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

Newsflash Billy: football games last 60 minutes, and it's the score at the end of 60 minutes that determines the winner. TD's count for 6 points whether they happen in the first 10 seconds or the last 10 seconds.

MSU won, sorry.

They didn't win convincingly. I wouldn't argue they're the better team. But they won, and they won legitimately. No amount of whining will change that.

Games that close don't tell you who the better team was, IMO. If these two teams played 100 times, maybe MSU win 75 out of 100. Maybe UM win 80 out of 100. Maybe it's 50/50. A game coming down to such a fine margin can't tell you.

Similarly though the idea that UM are better, based on being 2pts ahead with 20s to play, seems equally ludicrous. That's an even smaller margin than the final points tally.

Ultimately MSU took a close, but deserved, win. My main problem is with claiming it somehow didn't count. I don't think it proves one team's better than the other, but it's still a deserved (if close, and bizarre!) win.

October 19th, 2015, 2:27 pm
Pro Bowl Player

I wouldnt claim it didnt count, and even those saying that I dont think mean it quite that way, but it does sound odd.

A Win is a Win, whatever it takes to get it. The UM Fan commentary is simply that, Calling it an impressive win, calling it "heroics" , calling it "deserved to win" etc all dont give credit to what really happened. MSU won more of the statistics game. UM should have won and would have in 99.8% of "alternate realities" and MSU Fans should be happy about it, but talking about how this was 7/8 or "more mSU Dominance over UM" is truly disingenuous. It makes that person sound either like they know they are wrong and lying just to rub salt in a raw wound, or they really are delucsional in not realizing how lucky they are and that the final play was a gift, not some hard-earned victory. Understandably, that can be frustrating to those of us who watched UM play just barely better enough in clutch moments to eek out a hard fought win agaisnt a good MSU team , only to lose it in such a fluky unlucky fashion.

October 19th, 2015, 2:45 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
#1 Overall Pick

I agree with 99.8% of that post :D

Only bit I'd differ on is the "lucky fashion". It's not luck when your opponents don't do their job.

October 19th, 2015, 2:54 pm
Pro Bowl Player

UK Lion wrote:
I agree with 99.8% of that post :D

Only bit I'd differ on is the "lucky fashion". It's not luck when your opponents don't do their job.

Im calling it luck in that MSU did nothing to earn that ending. Subsitute any other team there, and same thing happens as it was 100% UM error. Thats what I mean by Luck. Free TD, Didnt have to work for it.

October 19th, 2015, 4:02 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

UK Lion wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

MSU won, sorry.

Games that close don't tell you who the better team was, IMO. If these two teams played 100 times, maybe MSU win 75 out of 100. Maybe UM win 80 out of 100. Maybe it's 50/50. A game coming down to such a fine margin can't tell you.

Similarly though the idea that UM are better, based on being 2pts ahead with 20s to play, seems equally ludicrous. That's an even smaller margin than the final points tally.

Ultimately MSU took a close, but deserved, win. My main problem is with claiming it somehow didn't count. I don't think it proves one team's better than the other, but it's still a deserved (if close, and bizarre!) win.

I'm not saying the game doesn't count as a win. Because it does. Just like Seattles win vs the Lions. Counts as a win. But, you guys know damn well if our punter didn't have his head up his rectum for that 1 play, your team had lost. That makes it a gift and shouldn't be gloated about.
Rest assured that Dantonio's snarky comment," where did all the Wolverines go?", will be remembered and will be the primary motivation for an rectum kicking next year.
You received a gift win you poop head. You think the Wolverines should stayed there and bowed before you after that? Your an idiot.

October 19th, 2015, 4:26 pm
#1 Overall Pick

DJ - agree with what you say re: 100% UM error, although I still wouldn't call that "luck".

Billy - a lot of what you said sounded an awful lot like "it wasn't a win", cool for clarifying.

Now can we all go back to agreeing how bad the Lions are? :wink:

October 19th, 2015, 4:47 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

UK Lion wrote:
DJ - agree with what you say re: 100% UM error, although I still wouldn't call that "luck".

Billy - a lot of what you said sounded an awful lot like "it wasn't a win", cool for clarifying.

Now can we all go back to agreeing how bad the Lions are? :wink:

Is there a language barrier here? I never said you guys didn't win. You obviously did. My whole diatribe is about you guys gloating over it. You won yes. But, it was just as much as a gift as I have ever seen. Gift wins should not be gloated over. Stats don't mean a damn thing in regards to the scoreboard throughout the game. We have all seen a million games where 1 team statistically dominated the other team in every area but, the score. Stats don't mean squat. Points do. and you guys got a gift TD if there ever was one. If the shoe were on the other foot, I would be happy we won. But, I damn sure wouldn't be gloating over it.

October 19th, 2015, 5:15 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

BillySims wrote:
UK Lion wrote:
DJ-B wrote:
UK Lion wrote:

MSU won, sorry.

I'm not saying the game doesn't count as a win. Because it does. Just like Seattles win vs the Lions. Counts as a win. But, you guys know damn well if our punter didn't have his head up his rectum for that 1 play, your team had lost. That makes it a gift and shouldn't be gloated about.
Rest assured that Dantonio's snarky comment," where did all the Wolverines go?", will be remembered and will be the primary motivation for an rectum kicking next year.
You received a gift win you poop head. You think the Wolverines should stayed there and bowed before you after that? Your an idiot.

it was a bad play on multiple levels. UM failed/melted down. they had an abysmal punt protect formation, the snap was low, the punter is a rugby style punter who takes multiple steps and rarely punts quickly, the kid hesitated instead of falling on it - it was more complex than people want to make it seem. this wasnt a perfect snap with no pressure that the kid totally blew and turned it into a touchdown - it was a total systemic failure by the UM football team.

October 19th, 2015, 11:04 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Wow always great to get a road win but what on Earth was Minnesota doing at the end of that game? Wholly molly

November 1st, 2015, 10:59 am
Martha Firestone Ford

The Legend wrote:
Wow always great to get a road win but what on Earth was Minnesota doing at the end of that game? Wholly molly

Yeah. I didn't see any way the Gophers could lose that. Maybe, the universe just gave the Wolverines a make up call. LOL

November 1st, 2015, 11:13 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
But, it was just as much as a gift as I have ever seen.

That was a close second... :arrow:

Exciting game but man did Minnesota blow that at the end. Can you fire a coach after just one game based on those play calls.

Glad Michigan won, was pulling hard for them and will the rest of the season. I'll take it... Go Blue!

November 1st, 2015, 10:42 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

I do feel like cosmic balance just swung back to center in the Blue-Green universe, and I am once again at peace (until i see that replay again).

November 2nd, 2015, 12:48 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next