View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 16th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Sparty 2015 
National Champion

Post Re: Sparty 2015
Blueskies wrote:
Pablo wrote:
Blueskies wrote:
Sparty has been a good team over that time, but not a great team.

Won 7 of last 8 vs. Michigan. If MSU is a "good" team over that time, what has Michigan been? (BTW - he is 4-0 against UofM when they are ranked)

They finished first in the division 4 of last 6 years, finished 2nd once.

Lost one Big Ten game or less last 6 years (including this year).

Four straight bowl game wins (beating Georgia, TCU, Stanford and Baylor), that's a bit better than good including the Rose and the Cotton in the last two...

His QBs - Brian Hoyer, Kirk Cousins (both started in NFL this year) and Connor Cook who will be a first round draft pick.

Speaking of Cook - how do you rate the Connor Cook years?
- 30-3 as a starter
- 18-1 in the Big Ten
- back to back top 5 finishes
- undefeated this year and 11 straight wins (and 12-straight on the road)

I love being your definition of "good"!

Citing QB success as excuse for team success? Now you're starting to sound like a Michigan fan!

Here's the only stats that matter: Since 2008, MSU has only won two big 10 titles (one outright, one shared) and gone to only one Rose bowl (to their credit, they won).

Meanwhile, Michigan has been an outright dumpster fire, Penn State has struggled with a pedophile debacle, and OSU had a rare down year.

Do you think that's going to happen again anytime in the next 10 years? Teams may get hit with sanctions, some teams may struggle, but all of the big 10's historical powers struggling at around the same time? Unlikely. Add in the possibility of Nebraska turning it around.

MSU benefited from a lot of fortunate circumstances over the last 7 years. They found some success, but perhaps not as much as they could've. As I said, Wisconsin was more successful than MSU.

MSU is a good team, not a great one.

This topic has now become silly ](*,) :ppp: :oops:

October 26th, 2015, 1:15 pm
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Please explain how I'm wrong.

Do you really think 2 B10 championships and 1 Rosebowl appearance in 7 years makes MSU a great team? Especially at a time when the B10 was widely mocked as the worst major conference?

If so, I think you're being a homer or your standards are too low.

If you're a great team, you should at least be seen as a NC contender at the start of every season.

October 26th, 2015, 2:10 pm
National Champion

Blueskies wrote:
Please explain how I'm wrong.

Do you really think 2 B10 championships and 1 Rosebowl appearance in 7 years makes MSU a great team? Especially at a time when the B10 was widely mocked as the worst major conference?

If so, I think you're being a homer or your standards are too low.

If you're a great team, you should at least be seen as a NC contender at the start of every season.

you are leaving out the Cotton bowl which is a BCS game and MSU has been considered a NC contender the last two years.

October 26th, 2015, 3:31 pm

The cotton bowl is/was not a BCS bowl. Orange/Sugar/Rose/Fiesta+championship game

October 26th, 2015, 4:40 pm
National Champion

Blueskies wrote:
The cotton bowl is/was not a BCS bowl. Orange/Sugar/Rose/Fiesta+championship game

Perhaps you have stricter rule for great our you don't have an elite category in your measurements. I saw MSU is great but not elite just yet. You say they are good not great. Could you last the teams you consider great at this time then?

October 26th, 2015, 5:03 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

i went to Michigan but without question MSU under Dantonio went from average maybe a little below (John L Smith) to average/mediocre in Dantonio s first few years but then became good (Cousins), had an average or mediocre setback season in between (Maxwell season) and has been great in the Cook years.

October 28th, 2015, 7:18 am
Martha Firestone Ford

How come no-one is talking about the Nebraska game?

November 8th, 2015, 11:06 am
National Champion

What's there to say, they loss a game they should have won easily. Refs blew a call, but it never should have been close enough for a ref call to tilt this game to begin with.

November 8th, 2015, 11:11 am
Martha Firestone Ford

November 8th, 2015, 11:14 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:

Because we aren't whiners!

Unlike the Michigan game that was lost by the players, the refs - ironically the same one's as the MSU/UofM game and were horrible again - blatantly blew a call that may have cost the Spartans quite a bit. I'd rather not see this crew calling a game for MSU or UofM again this season for that matter.

But despite that, the Spartans had a pick in the endzone the play before that they dropped. The got conservative on the series before and didn't let Cook throw for a first down but instead decided to put the game in the hands of the defense with a very inexperienced secondary. MSU shouldn't have let the game come down to this and have been flirting with this much of the season.

So we are not going to simply blame the refs and say Nebraska got a gift. That they shouldn't have celebrated at the end. Kudos for them to keep fighting to the end, huge win for them. MSU has to regroup and finish out the season strong.

Go Green!

November 9th, 2015, 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Because we aren't whiners!

Unlike the Michigan game that was lost by the players, the refs - ironically the same one's as the MSU/UofM game and were horrible again - blatantly blew a call that may have cost the Spartans quite a bit. I'd rather not see this crew calling a game for MSU or UofM again this season for that matter.

But despite that, the Spartans had a pick in the endzone the play before that they dropped. The got conservative on the series before and didn't let Cook throw for a first down but instead decided to put the game in the hands of the defense with a very inexperienced secondary. MSU shouldn't have let the game come down to this and have been flirting with this much of the season.

So we are not going to simply blame the refs and say Nebraska got a gift. That they shouldn't have celebrated at the end. Kudos for them to keep fighting to the end, huge win for them. MSU has to regroup and finish out the season strong.

Go Green!

Well, to be fair, you guys would look pretty hypocritical if you did complain about it. So, I do give you guys credit for not complaining.

November 9th, 2015, 12:22 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Well, to be fair, you guys would look pretty hypocritical if you did complain about it. So, I do give you guys credit for not complaining.

Why would we be hypocritical?

November 9th, 2015, 12:41 am
Profile WWW

And soon MSU will very likely lose to OSU and go 10-2 and wind up in another medicore bowl game. Probably better than Michigan, but not really a great team.

Over the last 7 years, I'd say the great teams of CFB have been OSU, Alabama, Oregon, LSU, and Auburn. Multiple NC appearances and victories. Always a threat almost every year. If you were to rank the best college football teams over that period, I'd probably put MSU in the 12-20 range. A good team, sure, but not really a great one.

November 9th, 2015, 12:52 am
Martha Firestone Ford

Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Because of everything you guys said to refute what us Wolverines said.

November 9th, 2015, 7:54 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:
BillySims wrote:

Because of everything you guys said to refute what us Wolverines said.

OK. I think the two situations are a little apples to oranges. The winning play in the UoM/MSU game was dictated by the players and coaches, the winning playing in the MSU/NEB game was dictated by a blown call by the refs. Which is worse?

Regardless, despite how many Wolverines still continue to look down their noses at State it is pretty clear after these two games which fan base showed a lot of class after a tough loss. I know a lot of fans of both schools, as I'm sure many of you do as well, I'm proud how well my fellow Spartans handled this. It starts with Coach Dantonio (and Coach Izzo in bball), we follow their lead - two class acts.

You can attribute it to us trying not to be hypocritical if you want, you say you give us credit but try to discredit that same credit you give. Perhaps those that follow the Maize and Blue can learn something from their neighbors to the north...

Doesn't matter, I still am a Michigan fan every week of the year except when you play the Spartans despite the lack of respect shown over and over. I truly hope Michigan can continue the turnaround over the long haul, I'd love to see two football powerhouses in the state.

Go Green, Go Blue!

November 9th, 2015, 12:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next