View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 18th, 2018, 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Michigan football 2016. 
Pro Bowl Player

Post Re: Michigan football 2016.
Not that it matters as it wouldnt have changed the bowl implications at all, but How ITF does Penn state hop to 5 over Michigan who HOUSED them when they played. Before you say they beat Wisconsin, so did UM, by the same margin, giving up only 7 pts, In the 4th Game of Speight's Career. Penn State beat OSU, but so did UM minus 1 of the worst refjobs in the history of college football (Honestly 99% of "Ref jobs are just Bad officiating, but it wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if someone got paid for that game, a claim I dont think I've ever made re: College Refs. 1 Penalty in all of regulation against the #1 D in the country who had 8 sacks due to a turnstile at RT? 0 Holds. The 2 Identical "PI Plays" where OSU doesnt get called and UM does. The Hold on the 3rd and 9 Scramble to get to 4th and 1. The Spot to me is the least of those 5 egregious errors, as I didnt expect them to move it after the initial spot anyways), but thats neither here nor there.

PSU is Obv not a better team than UM and would get Housed again if they played tomorrow.

Note: I do think the Commitee got the top 4 right, based on the #refgate giving OSU the win. UW deserved #4 and I am excited for this playoff, but its the 3rd year of the CFP where the top 4 was correct, but its also the 3rd year in a row where it is OBVIOUS the Playoff needs to be 8 teams.

8 Team Playoff (Based off current CFP Ratings [below] and assuming format is Power 5 Champs + Top Group of 5 + 2 At Large):

Note: I flipped PSU & UM, both because UM is the better team and with 8 teams I think the committee would have so OSU doesnt play UM back to back games and a PSU OSU rematch is better drama right now. They arent supposed to factor poop like that in, but we know they do.

Alabama vs Western Michigan (Winner Plays UW/UM Winner)

Clemson vs Oklahoma (Winner Plays OSU/PSU Winner)

Ohio State vs Penn State

Washington vs Michigan

Nobody in the country could argue this would be better for the game and the fans. And we don't even add more bowl games. We extend the season 1 week, Make the New Years 6 become the 4 Quarterfinal games and the 2 Semi final games the next week, followed by the title game 1 week later. All the Top Teams "left out" have 3+ Losses.

RANK TEAM RECORD
1 Alabama 13-0
2 Clemson 12-1
3 Ohio State 11-1
4 Washington 12-1
5 Penn State 11-2
6 Michigan 10-2
7 Oklahoma 10-2
8 Wisconsin 10-3
9 Southern California 9-3
10 Colorado 10-3
11 Florida State 9-3
12 Oklahoma State 9-3
13 Louisville 9-3
14 Auburn 8-4
15 Western Michigan 13-0

December 5th, 2016, 1:58 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

For the past year UofM fans cried about a "fluke" play, now it is the refs. Please learn how to take a loss with some class.

As for the PSU win you need to remember how banged up PSU was in that game and had virtually no LBs - not the same PSU team we have seen the last few weeks.

Look, MSU was 11-2 overall and 7-1 in the first year of the playoffs and didn't make top four either (finished #5) - we didn't cry about it but rather came back last year and made the top 4. That is what Michigan needs to do.

Also, if you lose 2 of your last 3 games you don't deserve to make the college playoffs - sorry.

I'd like to see an 8 team playoff, that would be fun. Problem is the #9 team (and probably #10) will make similar complaints.

December 5th, 2016, 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

Pablo wrote:
For the past year UofM fans cried about a "fluke" play, now it is the refs. Please learn how to take a loss with some class.

As for the PSU win you need to remember how banged up PSU was in that game and had virtually no LBs - not the same PSU team we have seen the last few weeks.

Look, MSU was 11-2 overall and 7-1 in the first year of the playoffs and didn't make top four either (finished #5) - we didn't cry about it but rather came back last year and made the top 4. That is what Michigan needs to do.

Also, if you lose 2 of your last 3 games you don't deserve to make the college playoffs - sorry.

I'd like to see an 8 team playoff, that would be fun. Problem is the #9 team (and probably #10) will make similar complaints.

Pablo, did you watch the video I posted? There is no doubt we got reffed. 3 of the officials from that game grew up in Ohio and were OSU fans. 1 of the officials was previously fired by the Big 10 for poor officiating. No idea how or why he was rehired.

That said, I did acknowledge that without the 3 turn overs from Speight, we win.

December 5th, 2016, 11:25 pm
National Champion

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

December 6th, 2016, 7:54 am
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Pablo, did you watch the video I posted? There is no doubt we got reffed. 3 of the officials from that game grew up in Ohio and were OSU fans. 1 of the officials was previously fired by the Big 10 for poor officiating. No idea how or why he was rehired.

That said, I did acknowledge that without the 3 turn overs from Speight, we win.

And MSU lost last year to Nebraska when a player went out of bounds and came back in illegally to catch a TD pass - had to win out then to make the playoffs. Guess what, there are ref errors every game. Notice how Lions fans all say they get burned by the refs all the time. Same with Michigan fans. I live in Dallas, guess what I hear all the time is how the Cowboys got screwed against the Packers in the playoffs two years ago - I like to remind them that they benefited from the picked up PI call against the Lions in the playoff game before which they somehow forget.

I watch Michigan all the time, they benefit from a lot of calls - especially their secondary who seem to get away with a lot of contact for some reason. I see plenty of holding calls missed as well. Why, despite being a Michigan fan I watch them a little more objectively.

The 3 turnovers were huge and the coaching staff, IMO, blew it with their coverage game plan. Those were much bigger factors than a missed call. BTW - I thought he did get a first down but it was awfully close. Michigan still had a chance to stop them after that but let them waltz in on the next play.

Great game, nice season and as I said before good luck in the Orange Bowl...

December 6th, 2016, 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Pro Bowl Player

Wow Pablo that is pretty damn offensive. I though you were better than that.

As far as the rest of your comment: MSU did win on a fluke play, but at least we can say the game was won on the field by the players, and not by 1 of the most biased ref jobs in the history of football. There were OSU posters on the UM reddit apologizing for the sucky refs after the game, something I haven seen in my 37 years. Please point out the flaws in calling out those 4 egregious errors all going in favor of OSU on their home turf. Yes Holding happens all the time in Football and isnt called, but not a single Hold in an entire game, against the #1 D in the country, while giving up 8 sacks? It was bad all game, but then they blew the real big calls at the end. Either both UM and OSU committed PI or neither did. Either 1 being right and UM wins. Instead, OSU Gets both calls. Then the crazy 3rd and 9 that had 2-3 obvious holds on it (as almost every play does where the RB changes direction 4 times and the OL have to try to block back and forth), with the worst being #33 holding Dymonte Thomas' Arm to slow him when he was in line to make the tackle well short of the first. The spot as I said was bad, but i didnt expect them to change it after it was ruled first down. Despite that:

And then you know, there is this from a report after the game:

"Making matters worse, it turns out one of the refs had already been fired by the Big Ten back in 2002 for incompetence, while another had been banned from reffing the Michigan-Ohio State game ten years ago due to his apparent bias toward the Buckeyes. Why these guys were allowed to ref the year’s biggest game is a mystery."

Also, I said IN THIS THREAD that UM had multiple chances to "Take the refs foul play out of it" by capitalizing while up with the ball 3 times, and they didnt. That doesnt make it OK. That doesnt mean they should have to overcome the refs. I've seen you make that same comment about the Lions, but when it happens to UM and UM fans comment about it they are classless. The only 1 lacking Class in this thread is you.

Lastly...My comment about why the CFP should be 8 teams had fudge all to do with UM deserving to be in it. Penn State deserves to be in it. Oklahoma Deserves to be in it. I made the exact same comment the last 2 seasons when UM wouldnt have qualified (last season) and didnt even make a bowl game in 2014. I made this comment on MSUs behalf last season. More than 4 teams have the chance to win it all. Nobody outside the Power 5 will ever even get a shot with 4 teams, and while WMU would probably get wrecked by Alabama, id love to see them have a chance to play into that game. They have earned it. You never know, and we never will until we get to 8 games. To pretend my 8 team comment was because UM is #5 is disingenuous. Its a separate point I just happened to include in this thread since there was crossover.

Quote:

Fairly Silly comment as there has yet to be a #9-10 team that could make a believable case that they had a shot at beating a team like Alabama. Meanwhile we've only had 3 CFPs and each year 2,3 or 4 of the #5-8 teams would not only stand a punchers chance, In Many Cases the beat 1 of the top 4 teams. There is a reason Top 8 is a very common focus for Players, Coaches, ADs, Commentators and the Fans. Because it makes sense, despite the additional Logistics. There are 5 Power Conferences, and then the Group of 5. Sometimes the Power conferences have 2 (or More) Fairly Equal Teams. This year the B10 had 3 teams that all deserve that shot. Most years the SEC would put 2+ teams in it. 8 will Likely Happen, its a shame it hasnt, but everyone understands why the teams at 5-8 feel they deserve a shot. If we go to 8 and the #9 team Went on TV and said they deserve a shot they would be laughed out of the building. Not so with 5-8, and you know that.

Quote:
"Also, if you lose 2 of your last 3 games you don't deserve to make the college playoffs - sorry."
This comment is honestly laughable in regards to UM AND OSU when it comes to the Game being decided on the final play, let alone in double OT. If the competition you play at the end of the year and beginning of the year is of the same caliber then this applies somewhat as it can be used to suggest that the team did not improve, or even potentially got worse as the season goes on. When you Intentionally play your hardest game of the season on the last day because it is the best rivalry game in CFP going back 100 years it is stupid to pretend it applies. If we follow your logic teams should intentionally move all rivalry and important games to the beggining of the season in an attempt to manipulate the judges. It is just plain asinine. The UM OSU game made both teams look Better IMO compared to the rest of the teams they played this season, not worse. Normally that statement applies to only 1 team, but when the victory itself is questionable due to the refs, specifically if that spot is accurately called and the game is over Instantly, it applies to both. Had the refs got it right and UM Won, Id be arguing for OSUs to be #5 and wishing for an 8 team playoff and a shot at a potential rematch.

Anyways, This post was really for everyone else. I am kinda blown away getting called classless by an admin for making discussion on a forum. RIP Lionbacker as a place worth posting on I guess.

December 6th, 2016, 7:06 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
RIP Killer

DJ-B wrote:
Wow Pablo that is pretty damn offensive. I though you were better than that.

Not sure what was so offensive, was it this?

Pablo wrote:
Great game, nice season and as I said before good luck in the Orange Bowl...

If it was about the timing of the losses, yes losses at the end of the season can hurt more than an early season loss. History proves this out and again if you were offended by this the point was clear, losing two games at the end of the season are going to kill any playoff chances a team might have. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Perhaps it was my foul language? Nope, just reread my post and no bad language there. I didn't say anything nasty about the team or the school. In reality, if you found my post "pretty damn offensive" I'm sorry and it certainly wasn't intended that way. Reading it again, I'm not sure what is really setting you off. My point is, we all watch our teams with a biased eye and if your offended by that well I'm not sure what to say.

As for an 8-team playoff, I'm all for it. I stand by my point that the next couple of teams will still complain about not making it into the top 8. In fact, I'll double down on that point as their is less difference between teams 8 and 9 or 10 typically than their is between 4 and 5 or 6.

Sorry you don't agree with my points, that is why it is called a "discussion" board. No offense meant, sorry you took it that way.

December 7th, 2016, 8:50 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

Easy Pablo, this is a family forum. No need for the slanderish tones and ethnic slurs.

December 8th, 2016, 9:06 am
Pro Bowl Player

Feel free to play Dumb but you know what I was replying to I will play along and break it down even though the last bolded sentence in my post references it directly.

Previous to my post at the top of page 6, we were just discussing how the SOS in the Big10 could allow a 2nd B10 team to make the playoff if UW lost to Colorado. Billy posted about Recruiting classes. Then I made a Post directly referencing The Game again, and UM losing both because they couldnt score when they needed to, but that they also got Reffed hard (As the media has already pointed out, and not UM biased media, just the general CFP media. Sepearetly I made a point about an 8 team playoff, of which THIS YEAR UM would be included (not the reason for mentioning it).

The Very next post was yours, and this was the first thing you said.

Quote:

You had already replied to the thread after the loss. The only posts after yours was from Billy about the draft class so you obviously werent referring to him. You had already said "Good Luck in the Orange Bowl" as you referenced yet again. The class comment was a direct response to my post, aka calling me classless for not only being upset but describing my exact grievances with the horrendous officiating majorly impacting and help decide "game of the century pt 2" in a UM thread.

I stand by what i said, the only thing Classless in this thread was that post. The rest of them were fine. Saying UM was a good team is fine. Saying Harbaugh is a good coach but a whiner is fine. But you can write as many fine or even complimentary comments about something as possible, if you include attacks at the beginning middle or end, they are still attacks and poor behavior. I didnt attack OSU fans or players for being happy about the win. I didn't attack people for seeing the spot as correct. I attacking poor officiating in a billion dollar sport for massively impacting the outcome of a game, in a drastically biased format. This wasn't just bad officiating, it was biased officiating and succeeded in helping the home team win. Everyone should be offended by it, but instead you are taking the opportunity to attack me for pointing it out.

Own your Words or Don't, that's your call. I'm just calling it like I see it.

December 8th, 2016, 1:32 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Reply to topic   [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6