View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2018, 11:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Outback Bowl. 
Martha Firestone Ford

Post Outback Bowl.
Michigan State. Penn State. Ohio State. Wisconsin.

All were better than Michigan this year.

So, I am not quite sure how my Wolverines managed to get the best bowl game of any BIG10 team. They are the only BIG10 team to get a New Year’s Day game.

December 4th, 2017, 6:56 am
RIP Killer

Post Re: Outback Bowl.
BillySims wrote:
Michigan State. Penn State. Ohio State. Wisconsin.

All were better than Michigan this year.

So, I am not quite sure how my Wolverines managed to get the best bowl game of any BIG10 team. They are the only BIG10 team to get a New Year’s Day game.

Michigan State. Penn State. Ohio State. Wisconsin and the rest of the Big Ten proved their worth in bowl games this year as the Big Ten was on the way to a perfect bowl season - until Michigan happened.

Wasn't impressed with South Carolina whose special teams looked like pee wee football but Michigan was putrid in the second half. Three years of Harbaugh and blah... Offensive/QB coach whose offense continues to be unwatchable. Nine passing TDs all season? You would think after a month of practice the offense would be ready but 20-44 passing, 186 yards and two picks - QB guru? The offense was flat out boring, nothing creative - well except when they put the TE McKeon in for his first carry of the season on 3rd-and-1 from their own 23 - fumble. Harbaugh continues to make some horrible in-game coaching decisions.

I wonder what former UofM player think of the savior... Oh wait!

Amani Toomer wrote:
I’m really upset at how Harbaugh’s been at Michigan. 1-5 versus Michigan State and Ohio State, only beat Michigan State once last year and rest of the times it’s a loss. I think that he has not performed as well as I thought he should, hasn’t turned the program around. I mean, him and Brady Hoke are neck and neck in records or maybe a game or two off. He is a guy who hasn’t won anywhere (Harbaugh is 2-7 overall in bowl games).

The fact that we’re mired in mediocrity and accepting it, that’s not what I think about Michigan. I don’t think of Michigan as an 8-3 team and being excited because we have Michael Jordan shoes. I don’t care about the shoes, I don’t care about going to Rome. We are an also-ran team in the Big Ten now and it’s embarrassing.

In a new year we know how history repeats itself as Michigan comes into the season way overrated again as fans get all giddy before loses to both MSU and OSU (both games on the road this year), late season collapse, lose another bowl game. Rinse and repeat...

Well onto college basketball now, GO #1 SPARTANS!

January 2nd, 2018, 3:30 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach - Brian Callahan

Well, Toomer is being a hypocrite. He played at Michigan 4 years. The first 2 years they won 10 and 9 games, but his junior and senior years were both 8-4.

That said, the shine is definitely off Harbaugh. I think most are still giving him the benefit of the doubt, but if next season is anything like this season, the fan base is going to turn against him.

I think he should be given 2 more years to win the B10, and if he can't do that, then fire him and find an up-and-coming coach.

Realistically, they'll probably give him 3-4 more years though.

January 2nd, 2018, 4:23 pm
Martha Firestone Ford

Yeah. Michigan lost a bowl game. At least they scored. As opposed to Michigan State and Ohio State combining for a whopping ZERO POINTS LAST YEAR.

The simple fact that UofM even made it to bowl eligible was outstanding considering how many Freshmen and Sophomores were either starting or getting big playing time.

That said, I am less than impressed with the results against MSU, PSU, and OSU.

Heck, PSU recovered from pedofilegate quicker than UofM has been able to recover their traditional status before the RichRod era.

January 2nd, 2018, 10:52 pm
RIP Killer

BillySims wrote:
before the RichRod era.

Speaking of RichRod - uh oh...

As for being a young team - have you checked out the starting lineup for the Spartans? One senior on offense, two on the defense - tons of freshman and sophs.

Being a UofM fan, you really want to bring up both MSU and OSU who own Michigan?

Point is the offensive minded Harbaugh has a terrible offense. Honestly Michigan is my second favorite college team and I'm getting frustrated at their lack of progress on that side of the ball.

January 3rd, 2018, 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
Martha Firestone Ford

He has coached for 3 seasons now. But, he has only had 2 recruiting classes that were completely his recruits. His first recruiting class was mainly Brady Hoke’s recruits. Not, that that class was a bad class at all. But, it takes time. It takes 5 years for a college HC to get the whole team filled with only his recruits. The first 2 years, he won with Hoke’s upperclassmen. Now, it could be argued that if Hoke had remained the HC, that he would have restored the program with those teams. It very well might have happened. Those were some very good players. But, since Hoke didn’t keep his job, this season began the real transition from Hoke to Harbaugh, because roughly an equal amount of Harbaugh’s players were getting playing time with Hoke’s players. Next season, that balance shifts more to Harbaugh’s side. Hopefully, Shea Patterson is the real deal and wins the QB job. If that doesn’t happen, we better hope it is because Peterson has developed a hell of a lot better than he looked in the Outback bowl.

January 3rd, 2018, 2:44 pm

College coaches come in and win right away all the time.

A couple 10 win seasons isn't too bad, but this year was obviously disappointing, and when you couple that with an inability to win anything of note, it's intolerable.

January 4th, 2018, 5:00 am
Martha Firestone Ford

Blueskies wrote:
College coaches come in and win right away all the time.

A couple 10 win seasons isn't too bad, but this year was obviously disappointing, and when you couple that with an inability to win anything of note, it's intolerable.

And he did win right away. But, this season was a serious transition year like I mentioned in my last post. And it was made even harder by having to replace 10 starters on defense.

We will have a much clearer idea of how Harbaugh’s era will look next season when 3/4 of the team will be his own recruits.

January 4th, 2018, 9:16 am
Martha Firestone Ford

Another thing. Harbaugh has been trying to break new ground and establish a presence in SEC country. It isn’t going to happen over night. But, slowly, we will see more and more recruits from that area choose UofM. And I don’t mean Miami.

January 4th, 2018, 9:20 am

Here are my standards for Michigan football:

-Beat OSU 50% of the time
-Win the B10 every 2-4 years (depending on relative strength of the conference)
-Compete for a NC every 5-6 years (ie, playoffs or close to it)

I don't think those are unreasonable. It's Michigan.

After 3 years, Harbaugh hasn't come close to any of those things. I'm increasingly skeptical that he can pull it off.

Given his track record, I think he deserves more time. I'll give him 2 more years before jumping on the Fire Harbaugh bandwagon.

January 6th, 2018, 7:26 pm
Veteran NFL Head Coach

Blueskies wrote:
Here are my standards for Michigan football:

-Beat OSU 50% of the time
-Win the B10 every 2-4 years (depending on relative strength of the conference)
-Compete for a NC every 5-6 years (ie, playoffs or close to it)

I don't think those are unreasonable. It's Michigan.

After 3 years, Harbaugh hasn't come close to any of those things. I'm increasingly skeptical that he can pull it off.

Given his track record, I think he deserves more time. I'll give him 2 more years before jumping on the Fire Harbaugh bandwagon.

Really? He sure came close to the playoff in 2016. He didnt beat OSU but they were neck and neck and if a couple close calls go the other way everyone s singing his praises about how fast he turned things around. Harbaugh has plenty of flaws (namely staying composed on game days) but I think the program is closer than most people think.

February 5th, 2018, 2:13 pm

I hope you're right!

And to be clear, I'm not saying fire Harbaugh.

But it's clear that he's underachieved. I was his biggest supporter when he came in. I thought he could win the NC in year 3 or 4, and be on the level of Saban or Meyer. He hasn't come anywhere close to that. He has had some bad breaks, but after a few years, those things wash out. His offense just isn't performing the way it should. He still hasn't been able to find a decent QB.

The next two years will be very key. If they're anything like this year, it'll be time to move on.

February 6th, 2018, 3:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]