View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 20th, 2014, 12:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Barnett fired from CU 
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Post Barnett fired from CU
Quote:
Gary Barnett's tumultuous tenure as the University of Colorado's football coach reportedly will come to an end. However, the coach told ESPN.com that his reported ouster from the school is news to him.

The newspaper reported that there is no timetable for an announcement, but athletic director Mike Bohn was expected to talk to Barnett soon.

However, Barnett told ESPN.com's Pat Forde: "No one has said a word to me. I have not heard from one person that that is going to happen. ... Nobody has presented anything to me. I am continuing as if I'm the head coach at Colorado."

Bohn, traveling back to Colorado from meetings in New York, called the report "speculation."

"I don't know about that," Bohn told The Associated Press when asked if the report was true. "It's inappropriate for me to comment at this time."

Barnett told ESPN.com he has not talked with Bohn since Sunday. The two are expected to meet Wednesday night. They had been discussing a contract extension for several weeks, and it was believed to be a foregone conclusion before the season turned south.

CU finished on a three-game losing streak, including losses to Nebraska and Texas by the combined score of 100-6.

"The coaches have worked hard and the players have been great. The kids just ran out of juice. My whole extension has been a big issue. I think they felt some pressure surrounding that," Barnett told ESPN.com

Despite a torrent of negative publicity, a suspension from the school and widespread speculation that he would be fired 18 months ago after a controversy erupted surrounding Colorado's recruiting practices, Barnett has taken Colorado to consecutive Big 12 North Division titles.

The president, chancellor and athletic director all stepped down in the aftermath of the scandal, which resulted in an investigation that concluded drugs, alcohol and sex were used to entice recruits to the Boulder campus, though none of practices were sanctioned by university officials.

"Personally, I'm fine. I hold my head very, very high. Through all the crap we've gone through, we've won two division championships. The kids have gotten those championship rings, and they can't take those away."

After Saturday's 70-3 loss to Texas in the Big 12 title game, Bohn told the Boulder Daily Camera, "We all have to look at everything and see what it's going to take to get things going in the right direction. That's what's on everyone's mind right now."

Barnett's take on the loss to Texas: "A lot of people have lost pretty bad to Texas this year."

Barnett has one year left on the five-year deal, which includes a $2 million bonus if he completes the contract. While saying he likes Barnett, Bohn has remained noncommittal about an extension. One of the presumed reasons for the delay is that the school is still waiting for the results of a state audit of Barnett's football camps, which is scheduled to be released Monday.

CU is cash-strapped and it is believed that if he re-signs, the bonus will be folded into the next deal. If CU fires Barnett, he would be owed $1.6 million of the bonus, plus a year of his annual base salary.

Barnett is 49-38 after seven seasons.

With Gary Barnett being fired from CU, does anyone think he is a viable candidate for the Lions HC job?

Tim

December 7th, 2005, 1:27 pm
Post Re: Barnett fired from CU
TADOne wrote:
Quote:
Gary Barnett's tumultuous tenure as the University of Colorado's football coach reportedly will come to an end. However, the coach told ESPN.com that his reported ouster from the school is news to him.

The newspaper reported that there is no timetable for an announcement, but athletic director Mike Bohn was expected to talk to Barnett soon.

However, Barnett told ESPN.com's Pat Forde: "No one has said a word to me. I have not heard from one person that that is going to happen. ... Nobody has presented anything to me. I am continuing as if I'm the head coach at Colorado."

Bohn, traveling back to Colorado from meetings in New York, called the report "speculation."

"I don't know about that," Bohn told The Associated Press when asked if the report was true. "It's inappropriate for me to comment at this time."

Barnett told ESPN.com he has not talked with Bohn since Sunday. The two are expected to meet Wednesday night. They had been discussing a contract extension for several weeks, and it was believed to be a foregone conclusion before the season turned south.

CU finished on a three-game losing streak, including losses to Nebraska and Texas by the combined score of 100-6.

"The coaches have worked hard and the players have been great. The kids just ran out of juice. My whole extension has been a big issue. I think they felt some pressure surrounding that," Barnett told ESPN.com

Despite a torrent of negative publicity, a suspension from the school and widespread speculation that he would be fired 18 months ago after a controversy erupted surrounding Colorado's recruiting practices, Barnett has taken Colorado to consecutive Big 12 North Division titles.

The president, chancellor and athletic director all stepped down in the aftermath of the scandal, which resulted in an investigation that concluded drugs, alcohol and sex were used to entice recruits to the Boulder campus, though none of practices were sanctioned by university officials.

"Personally, I'm fine. I hold my head very, very high. Through all the crap we've gone through, we've won two division championships. The kids have gotten those championship rings, and they can't take those away."

After Saturday's 70-3 loss to Texas in the Big 12 title game, Bohn told the Boulder Daily Camera, "We all have to look at everything and see what it's going to take to get things going in the right direction. That's what's on everyone's mind right now."

Barnett's take on the loss to Texas: "A lot of people have lost pretty bad to Texas this year."

Barnett has one year left on the five-year deal, which includes a $2 million bonus if he completes the contract. While saying he likes Barnett, Bohn has remained noncommittal about an extension. One of the presumed reasons for the delay is that the school is still waiting for the results of a state audit of Barnett's football camps, which is scheduled to be released Monday.

CU is cash-strapped and it is believed that if he re-signs, the bonus will be folded into the next deal. If CU fires Barnett, he would be owed $1.6 million of the bonus, plus a year of his annual base salary.

Barnett is 49-38 after seven seasons.

With Gary Barnett being fired from CU, does anyone think he is a viable candidate for the Lions HC job?

Given his character problems and lack of discipline I wouldn't want anything to do with him. Let him go to Minny to replace Mike Tice.

December 7th, 2005, 2:36 pm
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Given his character problems and lack of discipline I wouldn't want anything to do with him. Let him go to Minny to replace Mike Tice.

wjb,

It's not that I don't agree with you, but he was a pretty highly regarded coach before all those accusations came out. Discipline and control of the football team, though, are 2 big things I want in our next football coach. So you may be spot on.

Tim

December 7th, 2005, 4:04 pm
Quote:

wjb,

It's not that I don't agree with you, but he was a pretty highly regarded coach before all those accusations came out. Discipline and control of the football team, though, are 2 big things I want in our next football coach. So you may be spot on.

I considered his popularity and ability to coach a football team before I wrote my post. I realize that he took the CU organization far beyond anyone's expectations a few years ago, and he carried that trend for a while before things fell apart on him. I do think Barnett can be a good coach in the NFL, but I think he needs to take the reigns of at LEAST an organization without as many character concerns as we have (or just the opposite... throw him in a cespool like Minny), if not a vetran organization. NO might be a good place for Barnett (if Haslett gets fired)... NO is a city where some of that behavior is common place, and there are vets that, though they may celebrate a little loudly (Joe Horn) their character is in tact.

December 7th, 2005, 4:18 pm
RIP Killer

It's a good thing Horn hasn't had much to celebrate this year. 36 grabs, 513 yards, and 1 TD on the year. His lack of production this year is crazy.

December 7th, 2005, 4:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]