View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 19th, 2014, 11:12 am



Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Question about the rose bowl 
Author Message
3rd Round Selection

Joined: December 25th, 2005, 6:19 am
Posts: 1188
Post Question about the rose bowl
Ok, I think everyone can agree that this was a great game, and I hate to even have to say something like this because I hate controversy surrounding championships in any sport, but this game demands one. The controversy here? How bout the fact that in reality USC won the game as far as scoring more points that should have been points, alot of you know exactly what im talking about, but for those that dont, remember vince young's run where he lateralled to another player who then ran it in for the touchdown? Vince's knee was down before he lateralled it...and not questionably either, it was clearly down before the play ended and every replay analyst on every network agreed. Now its sad to see this kind of thing happen in any sports game, but this is the Rose Bowl, and the National Championship and I dont see this as being acceptable. My question is this, do you all think that it is acceptable for the NCAA to do nothing about this? I know this will be a highly debatable statement, but in my opinion the decision and trophy should be overturned to the team that scored the most points without being down by contact before being in the endzone, the USC Trojans

Congratulations to the officials that stole the national championship from USC and in my opionion tainted the integrity of this years championship, lets hope they never call a came again.

I would also like to note that I am not a fan of USC and even though im a Michigan fan, hold absolutely no bias against Texas due to last years Rose Bowl, I respect Texas for that game, and the better team won.


January 5th, 2006, 3:47 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: January 6th, 2005, 10:54 am
Posts: 2274
Location: South Quad- Ann Arbor
Post Re: Question about the rose bowl
Rob_Shadows wrote:
I know this will be a highly debatable statement, but in my opinion the decision and trophy should be overturned to the team that scored the most points without being down by contact before being in the endzone, the USC Trojans
.


I disagree. That was a horrible call and should have been overturned, but how do you know they wouldn't have scored on the next play. You have to deal with the officiating as it is and play the game. Just because Texas benefited from some of the many bad calls of the game doesn't make them any less of a national champion.

_________________
"If he isn't the best football player, the best runner, that the Lord has ever made, then the Lord has yet to make one." Wayne Fontes on Barry.
Image


January 5th, 2006, 3:57 pm
Profile WWW
Modmin Dude
User avatar

Joined: December 31st, 2004, 9:55 am
Posts: 12246
Post 
I can see what you're saying, but USC was able to take advantage of some missed calls too. There should've bee 2 INTs against Leinart, not 1. The second one was called incomplete, but the Texas defender caught the ball, and has one foot on the ground making it a interception, but the refs called it an incomplete pass. There was also at least once or twice that USC should've been penalized for delay of game but weren't. The time keeped sucked as they didn't seem to know when to stop and start the clock. I remember one Texas series when the Texas WR caught the ball and went out of bounds, the clock stopped, but started again once the ball was set by the ref. It is me or isn't the clock supposed to stay stopped until the snap in that case???

All in all I think the calls evened out at the end

_________________
Quote:
Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right....


January 5th, 2006, 4:04 pm
Profile
Stadium Announcer
User avatar

Joined: October 14th, 2005, 4:50 pm
Posts: 70
Post 
The way they were driving they would've scored on the next play, but you can never be sure. I think the bigger thing was that non fumble pass incompletion on the second to last drive when USC seemed to be firing on all cylinders.

_________________
You and me and the devil makes three.
Image


January 5th, 2006, 4:17 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10355
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post Re: Question about the rose bowl
Rob_Shadows wrote:
Ok, I think everyone can agree that this was a great game, and I hate to even have to say something like this because I hate controversy surrounding championships in any sport, but this game demands one. The controversy here? How bout the fact that in reality USC won the game as far as scoring more points that should have been points, alot of you know exactly what im talking about, but for those that dont, remember vince young's run where he lateralled to another player who then ran it in for the touchdown? Vince's knee was down before he lateralled it...and not questionably either, it was clearly down before the play ended and every replay analyst on every network agreed. Now its sad to see this kind of thing happen in any sports game, but this is the Rose Bowl, and the National Championship and I dont see this as being acceptable. My question is this, do you all think that it is acceptable for the NCAA to do nothing about this? I know this will be a highly debatable statement, but in my opinion the decision and trophy should be overturned to the team that scored the most points without being down by contact before being in the endzone, the USC rojans

Congratulations to the officials that stole the national championship from USC and in my opionion tainted the integrity of this years championship, lets hope they never call a came again.

I would also like to note that I am not a fan of USC and even though im a Michigan fan, hold absolutely no bias against Texas due to last years Rose Bowl, I respect Texas for that game, and the better team won.


Are you serious? What about the HORRIBLE call when USC fumbled the ball in the 4th and it was ruled down by contact. He was practically straight up and down when the ball popped loose. USC went on to score that drive. Texas played the better game, plain and simple. USC got beat and all the USC bandwagon fans need to realize that there's a better team with a better QB. As well, Matt Leinart is a pompous a-hole and I hope he slips out of the top 10 for his comments after the game. The game had bad calls both ways - not just one.

_________________
_____
The kitties are slowly restoring some Millen killed faith. Now, beat those F'ing Fudgies!
Image


January 5th, 2006, 4:23 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust
User avatar

Joined: February 27th, 2005, 8:56 pm
Posts: 701
Location: Michigan
Post 
USC should have clearly won this game... and not because of this no call though, they shot themselves in the foot many times. This was just icing on the cake...

_________________
Image

Michael Huff for DROY


January 5th, 2006, 5:23 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post 
Texas is and was the better team hands down.

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


January 5th, 2006, 5:43 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2005, 1:02 am
Posts: 721
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Post 
LionsFan4Life wrote:
Texas is and was the better team hands down.


Texas was definitely NOT the better team hands down. Vince Young had the best single performance in a bowl game, but the Texas team is simply NOT BETTER than USC. How can you even say that?? USC should've won by at least 14 points if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot!! Reggie Bush's lateral pass took away an eventual TD for sure, and Matt Leinhart's interception when they were also on the Texas 20 yard line took away a TD. Add the 4th and 1 in the beginning of the game when USC should've just kicked a FG to go up 10-0, but instead went for the 4th down and failed took away 3 points. Add those together that is 17 points!! And USC only lost by 3 points, despite all of those turnovers. In my mind USC had the better team out there by far, and if Texas didn't have Vince Young USC would've won 56-0!!


January 5th, 2006, 6:44 pm
Profile YIM
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2005, 1:02 am
Posts: 721
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Post 
I must say though, that I reall do respect Vince Young as a player and a person. However, the rest of the Texas team I could care less for :x !!


January 5th, 2006, 6:46 pm
Profile YIM
Varsity 1st Team

Joined: August 16th, 2004, 11:58 pm
Posts: 251
Location: Saginaw,MI
Post 
adpreston1385 wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:
Texas is and was the better team hands down.


Texas was definitely NOT the better team hands down. Vince Young had the best single performance in a bowl game, but the Texas team is simply NOT BETTER than USC. How can you even say that?? USC should've won by at least 14 points if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot!! Reggie Bush's lateral pass took away an eventual TD for sure, and Matt Leinhart's interception when they were also on the Texas 20 yard line took away a TD. Add the 4th and 1 in the beginning of the game when USC should've just kicked a FG to go up 10-0, but instead went for the 4th down and failed took away 3 points. Add those together that is 17 points!! And USC only lost by 3 points, despite all of those turnovers. In my mind USC had the better team out there by far, and if Texas didn't have Vince Young USC would've won 56-0!!


Your an idiot..if USC was the better team they would have won... no offense on the idiot word though..but it fit right :idea:

_________________
Image

GO STATE!
2005 Austin Regional Champs!
4/7 years Final Four apperances
5/7 years Elite 8 apperances

Michigan...
Missed 64 team tourney AND,NIT tourney(tourney for losers hahaha)


January 5th, 2006, 7:14 pm
Profile
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)
User avatar

Joined: October 30th, 2004, 12:30 pm
Posts: 2205
Location: Austin, TX
Post 
adpreston1385 wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:
Texas is and was the better team hands down.


Texas was definitely NOT the better team hands down. Vince Young had the best single performance in a bowl game, but the Texas team is simply NOT BETTER than USC. How can you even say that?? USC should've won by at least 14 points if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot!! Reggie Bush's lateral pass took away an eventual TD for sure, and Matt Leinhart's interception when they were also on the Texas 20 yard line took away a TD. Add the 4th and 1 in the beginning of the game when USC should've just kicked a FG to go up 10-0, but instead went for the 4th down and failed took away 3 points. Add those together that is 17 points!! And USC only lost by 3 points, despite all of those turnovers. In my mind USC had the better team out there by far, and if Texas didn't have Vince Young USC would've won 56-0!!


Dude, like someone has already said.. if they WERE the better team they would have won plain and simple.

_________________
Image

NEVER GIVE UP!


January 5th, 2006, 7:23 pm
Profile
Millen Draft Pick - Epic Bust
User avatar

Joined: August 19th, 2005, 1:02 am
Posts: 721
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Post 
Rolando wrote:
adpreston1385 wrote:
LionsFan4Life wrote:
Texas is and was the better team hands down.


Texas was definitely NOT the better team hands down. Vince Young had the best single performance in a bowl game, but the Texas team is simply NOT BETTER than USC. How can you even say that?? USC should've won by at least 14 points if they didn't shoot themselves in the foot!! Reggie Bush's lateral pass took away an eventual TD for sure, and Matt Leinhart's interception when they were also on the Texas 20 yard line took away a TD. Add the 4th and 1 in the beginning of the game when USC should've just kicked a FG to go up 10-0, but instead went for the 4th down and failed took away 3 points. Add those together that is 17 points!! And USC only lost by 3 points, despite all of those turnovers. In my mind USC had the better team out there by far, and if Texas didn't have Vince Young USC would've won 56-0!!


Your an idiot..if USC was the better team they would have won... no offense on the idiot word though..but it fit right :idea:


Okay, I know you're an MSU fan, but do you seriously think that Nebraska is better than Michigan because they happened to win the game (with the bullshit officiating)? Hell No! If you think Nebraska is better than Michigan you're an idiot. Just because you win a game doesn't mean you're the better team. You happened to score more points that day but that doesn't mean you're the better team. Do you really think Texas would beat USC again if they happened to play? I highly doubt it. USC wouldn't make as many bonehead mistakes and Vince Young will never have a game like that in his life again!!


January 5th, 2006, 7:42 pm
Profile YIM
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: October 20th, 2004, 4:16 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Where ever I'm at now
Post 
First off, let's stop the name calling guys. We are all entitled to our opinions. Second of all, USC didn't have the better team and I'll explain why. USC knew, they knew going into this game they just had to stop Vince Young and the Texas offense was all but done. They weren't able to do it, as a team they failed. Now remember, the team doesn't mean just the players, it also means the coaches. Plain and simple, the USC coaching staff failed to develop an adequate defensive game plan. Texas, however, had a game plan defensively to stop Reggie Bush from beating them and they did pretty well. Texas knew that without Reggie Bush that the Trojans weren't the same football team. They were right. Lendale White and Matt Leinhart weren't enough to do the job.

A team is more than just one man. While it may be true that without Vince Young Texas isn't the same, but that can also be said of USC if you take Matt Leinhart off the field.

The Texas defensive backs played more inspired ball than the USC defensive backs, and I think that's where the real difference was. Matt, Lendale and Reggie offset the existence of Vince for Texas.

In regards to the officiating calls, they went both ways so stop whining about it. Texas had calls go against them too. It's unfair to single out just one call and say it made a difference in the game. Especially a call that took place early in the game.

Overall, I think the officiating in the college bowls this year were absolutely horrible for the most part. I'm ashamed to say those were Big Ten officials on that field last night, and they were poor. I think they need to stop using old men wearing glasses who couldn't run the 40 yard dash in less time than it takes for them to soak their dentures. Get some young guys with good eyesight, quick legs and strong minds. Same thing goes for the guys in the replay booth. Why always someone who looks like they've retired 30 years ago?

_________________
I will not put on blinders when it comes to our QBs performances.


January 5th, 2006, 8:21 pm
Profile
RIP Killer
User avatar

Joined: January 26th, 2005, 9:34 pm
Posts: 10355
Location: Sycamore, IL
Post 
adpreston1385 wrote:
Okay, I know you're an MSU fan, but do you seriously think that Nebraska is better than Michigan because they happened to win the game (with the bullshit officiating)? Hell No! If you think Nebraska is better than Michigan you're an idiot. Just because you win a game doesn't mean you're the better team. You happened to score more points that day but that doesn't mean you're the better team. Do you really think Texas would beat USC again if they happened to play? I highly doubt it. USC wouldn't make as many bonehead mistakes and Vince Young will never have a game like that in his life again!!


Who cares who is a U of M or MSU fan? I sure don't. I could give a crap less about either school. I for one, think that Nebraska is and was better than U of M. First off, Nebraska has a MUCH more COMPLETE team. U of M has a good offense and below average defense. That doesn't make them the better team. They lost. Bad officiating on both ends. Nebraska had quite a few calls I thought they got screwed on. Yeah, Michigan had some blatantly terrible calls...but good teams overcome that. Same goes for the Lions - they had some games they should have won, but (for example) they should have scored more points against TB and not let Pittman eat them alive. TB was the better team that day.

_________________
_____
The kitties are slowly restoring some Millen killed faith. Now, beat those F'ing Fudgies!
Image


January 5th, 2006, 9:16 pm
Profile
QB Coach

Joined: August 6th, 2004, 8:33 pm
Posts: 3222
Post 
conversion02 wrote:
Who cares who is a U of M or MSU fan?


I DO!

qleft1.gif Image


January 5th, 2006, 11:16 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware.