View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 18th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Michigan Stadium being expanded again. 
Hall of Fame Player

Post Michigan Stadium being expanded again.
Quote:
Michigan Stadium renovation to add boxes, boost capacity

DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) -- Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor will get luxury boxes and more seats as part of an estimated $226 million renovation to the American sports icon, under a plan given initial approval Friday.

The University of Michigan Board of Regents voted 5-3 in favor of the plan, which would increase the stadium's capacity by about 750 to 108,251. The final design and construction contracts still require board approval.

"You've got some major challenges at the Big House," Michigan athletic director Bill Martin said. "We initiated a process to address those challenges to come up with a financial model that would pay for it without putting a burden on the backs of all of our fans in the seats.

"What you saw today was a major step forward; it's a step that is really a beginning and not an end at all."

The target for completion of work on the home of the Wolverines is 2010. About 83 indoor suites and 3,200 outdoor club seats will be added, the university said, while widening seats and aisles will cut seats in some parts of the stadium.

The project will feature building structures -- six and eight stories tall -- on the east and west sides of the stadium and include bench seats, new media facilities, restrooms, concessions areas and an additional concourse.

Details of the plan first were reported Friday by The Ann Arbor News, which obtained details through a Freedom of Information Act request.

Michigan Stadium was built in 1927 at a cost of $950,000. Expanded several times over the years, it is one of the largest football stadiums in the country with a seating capacity of 107,501.

The athletics department proposed that Michigan build private suites like those that many colleges have added in recent years. But the plan had drawn some opposition from Michigan football fans.

On Friday, the board approved the project's budget the hiring of HNTB Architecture to design the project.

In about six months, Martin is expected to seek approval for a design for the project. A year from now the board will be asked to approve a more detailed design and award a construction bid.

This is the 2nd expansion of the stadium in the last 10 years. The last expansion was also for about $250K. So, after a HALF A BILLION DOLLARS, did they finaly get everything they wanted? I'm glad that the Big House will maintain it's status as the biggest. But, DAMN, how much is too much before you should just tear the place down and build new?[/b]

May 20th, 2006, 2:22 pm
QB Coach

I think what they are doing is terrible. The stadium, which once was below the tree line, is just going to become a standout in the city. They are getting rid of the round bowl shape that they've had the entire time with the luxury boxes. The tradition is being taken out of that stadium. This shouldn't have been approved. The trustees vote was 4-3. How are you going to have a multi million dollar project be approved, and not have a consensus vote? All this just so you can have an attendance record, and make a couple bucks? Sure, i'm all for scholarship money, but why not just raise prices or continue to build outward rather than add huge luxury boxes? I mean, everyone who goes to the UM games in the first place is loaded with the tickets being as expensive as they are, having to pay for parking, food, we don't need to accomodate the wealthy class with these luxury boxes. If you weren't wealthy, you wouldn't be in the stadium in the first place. I think this is stupid.

June 9th, 2006, 6:54 pm
Profile WWW
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

I agree with Brian that it takes away from the tradition, but the new designs don't look that bad. I remember 10 years ago, when you could practically drive past the stadium and not even realize that it was there.

Here's the designs that were released yesterday:
http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project-description/sketch.html

October 20th, 2006, 11:42 am
Varsity 1st Team

Here's the designs that were released yesterday:
http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project-description/sketch.html

It looks a bit like Lambeau in the front, but I like it; and I like the ideal: I'd actually like to see more seats open up so maybe ticket prices would fall a bit:

November 10th, 2006, 5:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]