View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently July 31st, 2014, 3:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 MEEEEEESSHHHHIIIGAN (My best Bob Uffer impersonation) LOL. 
Veteran General Manager

Post MEEEEEESSHHHHIIIGAN (My best Bob Uffer impersonation) LOL.
Quote:
COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Illinois lineman commits to U-M

David Molk visited all 14 schools that offered him a scholarship.

But only Michigan stood out, so the offensive lineman from Lemont, Ill., gave a verbal commitment this week for the Wolverines' class of 2007.

"I left Michigan with the feeling everyone (said) you get at the place you want to be," Molk said Thursday. "I went to their camp one day, worked with the offensive line coach (Andy Moeller) and thought it was great."

Molk, who is a 6-foot-2, 275-pound senior at Lemont, is a three-star recruit (out of five), according to Rivals.com, and rated is the No. 8 player in Illinois. He reportedly had offers from Michigan State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern and Purdue, among others.

Part of Michigan's draw was its business school, in which Molk plans to enroll.

Telling the coaches of his commitment was Molk's favorite part of the decision. He said Moeller was cheering into the phone. U-M coach Lloyd Carr, not far away at the Big Ten meetings in Chicago, was a bit more subdued.

"He was as excited as he can get for as old as he is," Molk said, laughing.

Molk is Michigan's 10th recruit in the class of 2007.

August 4th, 2006, 12:26 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

August 5th, 2006, 12:00 am
Veteran General Manager

Just for old time's sake:

How did you get that to work here? When we came over from the underground, I tried to get mine to work and it wouldn't.

August 5th, 2006, 10:02 am
Veteran General Manager

Michigan: Notebook

Bass determined to overcome injury

Multi-purpose back, who tore up right knee in spring, vows to play for the Wolverines in 2007.

Angelique S. Chengelis / The Detroit News

ANN ARBOR -- Although Michigan coach Lloyd Carr has raised the possibility sophomore Antonio Bass, an exciting receiver-tailback-quarterback-kick returner, might not be able to play football again, Bass believes otherwise.

"Based on overall instinct, gut, everything, I'm playing next year regardless," Bass said Monday morning. "Whatever it takes, I'm playing. I've told everybody that."

Bass suffered a serious injury to his right knee from a freak accident during a conditioning drill in March. He endured a lengthy surgery and has the scars -- on both sides of the knee -- to show for it. He appeared at media day Monday in jersey and shorts, his right knee in a brace.

Carr said last week Bass soon will undergo a medical test that could determine his playing future. Bass said he is not worried about what those results might indicate.

"It's not worrisome to me at all," said Bass, one of six freshmen who played last year. "I put it in God's hands; whatever happens, happens. I don't believe it is (career-ending); I never will. As long as everything goes according to plans, I'll be playing next year."

Before the injury, Carr said Bass was projected to be the backup to starting quarterback Chad Henne. Now, Bass will spend the season on the sideline as he continues rehabilitation on the knee.

"It's going to be hard watching the season, but as long as we achieve our goals, everything is good," Bass said. "The biggest thing I'll miss this is like my family. It's like playing with my brothers."

Bass said he does not know exactly how the injury occurred. What he does remember is how it felt.

"That will never go away," Bass said. "The feeling I had afterwards was unbearable. I had never felt anything like that before. I had never had a significant injury. I couldn't grab the knee. I was in agony. That's the only way I can explain it. I couldn't look at it, because it looked pretty bad. I was just trying to keep calm. The coaches did a great job of keeping me calm."

He is not yet able to jog because he is still working on regaining strength in the knee, but Bass said his rehabilitation is going according to schedule and the knee is healing quickly. He is using rehabilitation and this experience, he said, to make himself stronger not only physically but mentally.

"I look at the pain as a limit -- if I get hurt again, I will know it's nothing like what I had before," Bass said. "I have a very good understanding of what pain is. I will come out from this being a better man, just knowing exactly what pain is and what I can fight through and play through."

Speedy brown

Carlos Brown is a freshman, but he already is ahead of his years in terms of dealing with the media -- he knows what to say and what not to say.

Mostly, he knows what not to admit.

There have been murmurings that Brown could be used at quarterback much in the way Bass was anticipated to be used. Is that something that interests Brown, who played quarterback last year as a high school senior?

"If that's what the coaches want me to do, I'll do it," Brown said, raising an eyebrow as he smiled. "I wouldn't mind."

Brown, considered among the fastest players on the team, enrolled at Michigan in January. He said that coming in early has eased his transition to college.

" All the older guys took me in and taught me things and showed me what to expect."

What exactly did they teach him?

"That nothing is easy," Brown said.

Deromedi on staff

Former Central Michigan coach Herb Deromedi has joined Carr's staff as a volunteer coach.

Deromedi had an exceptional career, becoming the most successful coach in Mid-American Conference history with 110 victories during a 16-year career that ended in 1993.

He then became the CMU athletic director, a position he held from 1994-2006.

Carr and Deromedi, a Michigan graduate, have been friends for years. Deromedi has a daughter living in Ann Arbor.

"He indicated he'd be spending time here, (and) as we talked, it seemed ideal that maybe we could have something for him to do," Carr said. "I looked at him as being a guy who would be great to have around for young coaches and players there are a lot of things he can take a look at and give an idea or two."

Riley prefers guard

Fifth-year senior offensive lineman Rueben Riley can play any position on the line.

He will be a starter on the right side of Michigan's line this fall, but it has not been decided at which position.

"Rueben has a preference to play guard," Carr said. "The good news is he's played both (guard and tackle), and he's more than willing to play tackle, which says a lot about him. He's willing to do what the team needs."

Quotable

Carr, when asked which position group needs the most improvement: "Coaching."

August 8th, 2006, 8:35 am
Veteran General Manager

COLLEGES: Two U-M linemen suffer injuries

August 17, 2006

BY MARK SNYDER

Less than two weeks into the preseason, the Michigan football team is facing setbacks.

In practice Saturday, freshman offensive lineman Justin Boren injured his ankle in what his father, Mike, called "a freak accident."

"Basically he did sprain his ankle -- it's the same as a sprained ankle," Mike Boren, who played football at U-M from 1980-83, said Wednesday. "He's doing what he can do. I don't know how long he'll be out, but he did not break his ankle."

Mike Boren said another player fell on Justin's lower leg and injured the fibula. The situation sounds similar to junior tackle Jake Long, who missed the first seven games last year after another lineman fell on his lower leg.

"He's not in a cast and he's not going to have surgery," Mike Boren said. "It could be three weeks, who knows? But it's nothing that serious."

Boren, who is 6-feet-4 and 305 pounds from Pickerington, Ohio, is a true freshman who enrolled in January hoping to be able to compete for playing time this fall. Linemen are traditionally redshirted their first year.

"It just brought back the highs and lows for me," Mike Boren said.

Boren's injury might not be the only adversity on the line.

Senior offensive tackle Mike Kolodziej, who has battled numerous injuries during his career and was competing for a starting right tackle spot, also may be in doubt for the fall.

His mother, Cindy, would not discuss her son's condition other than to say it might compromise his career.

U-M players are unavailable for comment during camp, and coach Lloyd Carr has a policy of not discussing injuries publicly.

August 17th, 2006, 8:55 am
I'm not worried about either player... I didn't expect either of them to start this year, but it will cost us if someone goes down in the first 4 games or so...

I just hope all of our offensive skill players stay relatively healthy... I can deal with not having WR Bass for most of the year, but an injured Hart, Henne, Breston, or Manningham could really hurt...

August 17th, 2006, 3:41 pm
Veteran General Manager

U-M football fans can see team

Detroit News wire services

Michigan fans can meet the players and coaches from 9:30-11 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 26, at Michigan Stadium. Gates open at 8:30 and admission is free.

Coach Lloyd Carr will be available for autographs on the Mortenson Plaza above the Junge Champions Center.

Players will be available for autographs along the north and south concourses at the concession stands. Players on offense will be on the north side between sections 29 and 38; players on defense will be on the south side between sections 8 and 18.

August 18th, 2006, 8:48 am
Veteran General Manager

Long and Woodley are named captains

Carr says left tackle from Lapeer, defensive end from Saginaw will be 'outstanding leaders.'

ANN ARBOR -- If being voted captains by their Michigan teammates wasn't enough of an honor, how about being serenaded by coach Lloyd Carr?

Carr began loudly humming the Michigan fight song as he introduced the Wolverines captains, seniors Jake Long and LaMarr Woodley, at a news conference Monday morning. Long is a left tackle from Lapeer and Woodley is a defensive end from Saginaw.

It is the first time since 1997 both captains are from in-state.

"I've always said being a captain here is the greatest honor you can receive, so I think that speaks to the respect and the trust that their teammates have for them," Carr said. "I think they're going to be two outstanding leaders here."

Woodley, who returns as the team's career leader in tackles for negative yardage with 36 and sacks with 12, said he could never have predicted being voted a captain when he arrived three years ago.

"Not at all, because I was never the person that did a lot of talking," Woodley said. "I was always a person that showed it on the field. I had never expected people just voting me to be a captain."

Long moves to left tackle this fall after playing on the right side his first two seasons. He said it is a thrill to be voted a captain.

"It's a great honor, a dream come true," said Long, who has one year of eligibility remaining. "I grew up as a Michigan fan and I've worked really hard, and to have the respect from the other teammates is a great honor."

Woodley, who said he thought it would be "selfish" to vote for himself, said that while being voted a captain is an honor, he intended to lead in any way possible this fall.

"I knew that I would be a leader on this team," Woodley said. "I said, 'If I become a captain, I'll lead, and if I don't become a captain, I still will lead.' So my whole decision was to lead no matter who was named."

O-line appears set

Michigan entered camp with the left side of its offensive line set, featuring Long, Adam Kraus at guard and Mark Bihl at center.

The right side has been in flux, but that also might be settled.

Redshirt sophomore Alex Mitchell has performed well and apparently locked down the starting job at right guard.

"I think he's really responded well and has played very well," Carr said. "I would anticipate, based on where we are today, that Alex would start at right guard."

Veteran Rueben Riley will start at right tackle.

Freshman designs

Carr singled out three freshmen he believes will be contributors: running backs Carlos Brown and Brandon Minor and receiver Greg Mathews .

"I think this is potentially a very good class," Carr said.

Minor, a 6-foot, 215-pounder from Richmond, Va., apparently has turned heads in practice.

"He is a guy that has really made an impression on everybody here," Carr said. "He can run, he sees the hole extremely well and he can accelerate. We just have to see how it goes, but he has displayed some really impressive skills."

Brown potentially could play several positions.

Bo knows

Former Michigan coach Bo Schembechler offered his thoughts on how he thinks the Wolverines will shape up.

"I think they'll be a better team. I think it'll be a pretty good defense," he said. "I think it's an improved secondary. I think it's improved up front. I think they're stronger, tougher up front. If the linebacking comes through and plays well, they'll have a real good defense.

"Offensively, I think they've got three really skilled backs, a good quarterback. ? I mean, it'll be fun to watch."

August 22nd, 2006, 10:32 am
Veteran General Manager

Is revamped U-M better? We'll see

ANNARBOR -- By Michigan football standards it was bad, as bad as it gets, the worst season in 21 years. It featured blown leads and inexplicable errors and a gnawing sense that something was exposed, that the Wolverines would have to change, or else.

U-M's 7-5 season was damning and enlightening. And now we learn if it was also invigorating.

While the Wolverines hate where they landed, they like where they sit. Actually, they love where they sit now, below the national radar, above the tread line, knocked to an uncomfortable reality.

Let's face it. U-M's program got a little content under Lloyd Carr, who enters his 12th season at a bit of a crossroad. No, his job isn't in jeopardy, and it shouldn't be. Please. But his legacy -- which long has been undervalued -- could be.

A year ago, the Wolverines were coming off back-to-back Rose Bowl trips, although they posted three losses each season. Everyone around them, starting with rivals Ohio State and Notre Dame, was inspired, climbing, adapting.

Now it's U-M's turn to be pushed, its chance to change, and the strong feeling here is, there's a better chance for a quick turnaround than many realize. The Wolverines, fat front-runners recently, have new coordinators, leaner athletes and sharper memories and are still packed with veteran talent.

The road schedule is brutal, which is part of the reason U-M is ranked 14th in the Associated Press poll and picked anywhere from second to fourth in the Big Ten, behind top-ranked Ohio State and Iowa.

But when Carr moved out coordinators Jim Herrmann and Terry Malone, and elevated Ron English and Mike DeBord, you knew urgency was trumping complacency. Change was needed and Carr showed he was willing to push it, replacing loyal, longtime assistants.

Asked how hard it was to do, Carr paused.

"Every decision I make, I put myself out there (open to criticism)," he said. "I really don't want to get into all that. Maybe some day."

If U-M is being overlooked now, it's understandable. But when you see all that returning skill on offense, and all those touted linebackers and defensive linemen, it's almost unfair the experienced Wolverines can use the no-one's-picking-us angle.

But they can. And yes, they are.

Flying under the radar

"That's not a bad position to be in," Carr said, smiling wryly. "When you're at a place like Michigan, and you have great pride in who you are and the expectations are great, and you're coming off a disappointing season surrounded by negativity, I don't think there's any question that's a motivating factor."

And then, the warning was issued.

"Now, we'll see."

Yep, we will. Not immediately, with Vanderbilt and Central Michigan up first. But the visit to Notre Dame on Sept. 16 will offer the first clue for a program that's 7-7 in its last 14 games, and 0-6 against Notre Dame, Ohio State and bowl opponents the past two seasons.

U-M has to be careful its reputation isn't sustained simply by nostalgia, on the lore of the Big House and the winged helmets. So there's a plan for a $226 million renovation of Michigan Stadium, and a slightly less expensive plan to rework the offense and defense.

The Wolverines were crushed by injuries last season, particularly to offensive tackle Jake Long and tailback Mike Hart. But that doesn't explain away everything, especially the late collapses against Wisconsin, Minnesota, OSU and Nebraska.

These are dangerous times. This could be a dangerous team.

After a four-loss season in 1996 stirred rabid criticism about Carr, the Wolverines went 12-0 and won a share of the 1997 national title. Right now, that stands as the centerpiece of Carr's excellent legacy. Another rough season could change that.

My guess is, Carr plans to retire in a couple of years. If he wants more input on athletic director Bill Martin's choice to succeed him, he needs to rebound.

At U-M, it's not enough to lean on history. Playing with an angry grudge would help.

"Every time I went out, I heard it -- 'You guys going 7-5 again?' " Hart said. "Our work ethic has changed a lot. Our mind-sets were, we went to the Rose Bowl two years in a row so we thought it was just natural for Michigan. You never know how different it is until it's gone."

New ideas

The notion of grinding out low-scoring victories is nearly gone in college football, too, so U-M has emphasized weight loss and quicker legs. DeBord is expected to use all of his playmaking receivers, led by Mario Manningham and Steve Breaston, and all of his backs, from Hart to Kevin Grady to impressive freshman Carlos Brown.

On defense, English has instituted a more aggressive mentality. No one yet knows if that means more aggressive blitzing.

"He's a really passionate guy, and he's not scared of anything," cornerback Leon Hall said. "His emphasis is on playing fast first. We see the magazines and where teams are picked, and that's fine. We know we have the potential to be there. We want to be on the magazines at the end of the year."

OSU and Notre Dame are collecting the preseason hype, but anyone who thinks there's suddenly a huge gap between U-M and other powers hasn't paid attention. Tennessee was 5-6 last season, but you can bet the Volunteers will rebound, just as Notre Dame rebounded, just as the Buckeyes, 8-4 two years ago, rebounded.

U-M quarterback Chad Henne had some rough outings but can still be a difference-maker. Hart was spectacular as a freshman, injury-riddled last season. And seniors Long, Hall and defensive end LaMarr Woodley all could be first-round NFL draft picks.

The Wolverines can lament their recent woes or do something about it. Carr did something, shuffling his staff. At a slow-change place like U-M, that was a big step, an uncomfortable step, but the Wolverines needed to be stirred up.

They say they are and we think they are. To quote a great philosopher, we'll see.

August 30th, 2006, 8:11 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I was at the game today, and the defense looked great, but of course, we were playing Vanderbilt.

September 3rd, 2006, 12:41 am
Profile WWW
Varsity 1st Team

Vanderbilt still has a team? I thought they dropped the program after Cutler left :lol:

September 6th, 2006, 9:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]