View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 22nd, 2014, 12:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Smith out as MSU coach after season 
RIP Killer

Post Smith out as MSU coach after season
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2645774

ESPN wrote:
With three games remaining in another disappointing season, Michigan State has decided that John L. Smith will not return to coach the 2007 season.

Smith will coach the Spartans through the end of this season, including a bowl game. Michigan State, 4-5 this season, must win two of its three remaining games against Purdue, Minnesota and Penn State, to qualify for a postseason invitation.

The university will buy out the remaining two years on his contract. His annual salary is $1.35 million. However, Smith's buyout clause is $1.5 million.

"Coach Smith deserves to coach the rest of this season because he will coach with his heart, just like he always has," Joel Ferguson, Vice Chairperson of Michigan State's Board of Trustees, told ESPN's Joe Schad. "We have respect for him and we hope he takes us to a bowl game. What we need here is more players. What we need is better recruits. We don't make excuses. What we need is more depth and more players."

Smith turned around a moribund program in 2003, his first season, taking the Spartans to an 8-5 record and an Alamo Bowl berth. However, that has been his only winning season. His last three teams have been dogged by inconsistency. The Spartans record under Smith is 22-23, including 0-4 marks against Michigan and Ohio State.

The Spartans started the 2006 season 3-0 under Smith, but have gone just 1-5 since. That slump started with a 40-37 loss to Notre Dame on Sep. 23 in which Michigan State squandered a 16-point fourth quarter lead.

That was followed by a 23-20 homecoming loss on Sept. 30 to Illinois, a team that had not won a Big Ten game since 2004. Blowout losses to conference powers Michigan and Ohio State came next before a stunning comeback in a 41-38 win at Northwestern on Oct. 21, a game they trailed 38-3 in the third quarter.

Most recently, the Spartans were drubbed 46-21 at Indiana last Saturday. Michigan State took a 7-0 lead before the Hoosiers scored 46 consecutive points.

Prior to coaching at Michigan State, Smith was at Louisville.

Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich said he spoke with Smith twice this week, he told ESPN.com's Pat Forde. Despite their jarring parting -- literally during the 2002 GMAC Bowl -- the two have remained cordial.

"I want our people to remember what a great job he did here, Jurich said, ironically on the eve of the kind of game Smith wasn't sure was possible at Louisville, as the Cardinals prepare to play West Virginia in a game with major BCS implications.

"I have total gratitude to him," Jurich added. "He did a marvelous job picking this program up from 1-10 the year before, taking us to a bowl and electrifying the fans with his style of play. I'm very loyal to him."

GO SPARTANS!

November 1st, 2006, 3:07 pm
Profile WWW
National Champion

Izzo will use his influence to land Mooch the head job I believe. If it happens I'd say mooch automaticaly comes in and becomes maybe the 4th best coach in the big ten , not on his coaching ability but his ability to recruit, his personality and his ties to the pros. Of course the top 3 Big ten coachs in order would be Tressel , Carr , and Paterno , Id rank Ferentz next then Tiller.

on a side note wxyt 1270 is reporting that this decession did not come from the athletic director Ron mason it came from higher up , probably has something to do with the upcoming election on Tuesday where for those of you not in michigan, Former MSU football Coach George Perles is on the ballot for the MSU board of Trustees. Perles was the Last MSU coach to win and even go to the Rosebowl.

November 1st, 2006, 3:19 pm
RIP Killer

Perles was the Last MSU coach to win and even go to the Rosebowl.

And to imagine I was a student there when the Spartans beat up on USC to win the Rose Bowl.

November 1st, 2006, 4:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

hotLionschick wrote:
Perles was the Last MSU coach to win and even go to the Rosebowl.

And to imagine I was a student there when the Spartans beat up on USC to win the Rose Bowl.

Please don't bore us with your "Back in my day" ramblings grampa

November 1st, 2006, 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
Smith will coach the Spartans through the end of this season, including a bowl game.

WISHFUL THINKIN'!!!...

IMO The ONLY way MSU wins two of three is if they ralley around the news that their HC will be fired and play much better because of it (al la Jim Fassel at NY, rumors sparked the team and they won their last 7 or something like that to save his job)...

MSU is garbage. I hate that school. IMO it is classless, superficial, and lacks sportsmenship. I'll take the arrogance of U of M any day over the lack of tact by schools like MSU or OSU... Planting flags, running around like idiots, fighting, piss poor fans (OSU), intentionally trying to hurt players (OSU)... I'll do w/o it...

That said, hopefully this will be a step in the right direction for MSU. I really don't want to see Mooch there because he's a pushover. He won't do anything to change the culture or integrity of the school with his "locker-room issues handle themselves" approach of coaching. I hope they get someone more stern. Someone that is more of a disciplinarian. Someone that demands respect and integrity... Someone to truely turn the program around.

November 1st, 2006, 5:39 pm
National Champion

if perles is elected to the board of trustees I no doubt he will have plenty of infuence of who the next coach will be. I think it will be Mooch hands down, i have seen pictures of George at Lions practices in the past and read that Steve let him attend practice a couple of times last year. between george and Tom izzos influence its mooch. whoever it is a word of advice dont hire a guy who is in the process of coaching a game while talking to you on a cell. they need to start interviewing canidates immediatley for recruitings sake.

November 1st, 2006, 11:37 pm
Modmin Dude

(Nov. 1, 2006) -- It's not hard to see why the Michigan State football program is enamored with Steve Mariucci as a candidate -- perhaps the leading candidate -- for its vacant head coaching job.

Michigan State basketball coach Tom Izzo is best friends with Mariucci.

Mariucci coached the Detroit Lions.

Mariucci is, essentially, a coaching free agent.

But despite all this, Mariucci will not be Michigan State's next head football coach. Mariucci's agent, Sandy Montag, said Wednesday that his client is not interested in leaving his job as an analyst at NFL Network for the Michigan State job.

"Steve is very happy in broadcasting," Montag said from his New York offices. "He really likes what he's doing at NFL Network. Broadcasting is something that Steve is excited and passionate about."

Translation: Mariucci's not going anywhere, at least for now, maybe ever.

Mariucci might be the next former head football coach -- a la John Madden, another Montag client -- who makes the transition from sideline to TV without going back. Then there are other factors to consider.

The Lions are paying Mariucci for the next two years. With them supplementing his TV income, Mariucci has less than no desire to take a job at Michigan State.

Mariucci has children in school and he has learned that a broadcaster's hours are more conducive to family life than a coach's. So for now, despite how much Michigan State wants him -- and it is believed to be plenty -- Mariucci is staying stationed at his TV station.

November 2nd, 2006, 2:30 pm
National Champion

IZZO: Mooch Can be a good fit

EAST LANSING -- During that late-October, early-November period when football and basketball seasons overlap, basketball coach Tom Izzo often holds his weekly news conference following football coach John L. Smith's.

Topics discussed during Monday's back-to-back addresses were symbolic of the state of MSU's football program. Smith reflected on his seniors and their final home game at MSU, and Izzo discussed his sport but also answered questions regarding the latest developments in the search for a new football coach.

Izzo had no update on any potential interest from Steve Mariucci, who returned from a trip out of the country Friday. Izzo said he talked to his friend briefly Saturday but hasn't heard back.

"I'm at his mercy of him calling me, so that's created a problem," Izzo joked. "I'm a little ticked off at him right now that he hasn't called me, so when I get him, I will tell you."

Apparently, Mariucci had some items stolen while away, including his cell phone, Izzo said. He added that comments from Mariucci's agent -- Sandy Montag, dismissing any interest in the MSU job -- weren't true because Montag hadn't spoken to Mariucci while he was out of town.

"Of course I'd like to have my friend here if it worked out for both parties," Izzo said. "His health and well-being is as important to me as Michigan State's because he's been my best friend my whole life, but Michigan State's health is very important to me too, because I think this football program ... we've all learned something that a lot of us knew, just how important it is.

"Do I think he can do the job? Yeah, I think he can do the job. I think there are some other guys out there that can do the job. I really do mean that. We've just gotta get the one that fits us best and the one that's excited about being here."

One thing he's also learned from the last hiring -- the new coach will need plenty of help from the rest of the school in his attempt to rebuild. That's something Izzo said he should have done more when Smith was hired in 2002.

"I think I let John L. down because I didn't know him as well," Izzo said. "I didn't jump in there with maybe the help that I could give him. I think a lot of us let him down, if you want the truth."

I think Mooch if hired can recruit well, he has a good personality and ties to the NFL big plus. on the Coaching side well this is where he might have problems . Is he going to teach theKids the west coast offense? hahhahahah. Sorry but the Lions are a pro team and still had trouble running thr offense after 5 years he only has these Kids for 4 years. and with out a proven qb for next season look for short dump offs and check downs to the RB on third down.

November 7th, 2006, 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]