View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently December 22nd, 2014, 7:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 UofM -vs- OSU: Smack Talk & Game Facts 
Hall of Fame Player

BillySims wrote:
wjb21ndtown wrote:
BillySims wrote:
steensn wrote:
I don't know why anyone here is plaing blaime on the offenses(minus Datish from OSU). Each team scored PLENTY of points to win. Any blame needs to go to the defenses... which are obviously overrated compared to the offenses...

I'm not blaming the offense. I'm blaming Carr. Rather than controling the clock with a solid running game with Mike Hart, Carr elected to go with a gameplan that is completely foreign to the Wolverines with pass after pass after pass. I'm not against a passing offense if it is what you want to base your offense on. But, Michigans offense is based on running. For this 1 game, Carr went away from the basis of our offense. As a result, OSU held the ball nearly twice as long as UofM, effectively doubling OSU's opportunities for points.

The difference between last years conservative offense, and this years more "open" offense are HUGE... Why? Allegedly because last year it wasn't Carr calling the plays, and we now have a new OC. Again, allegedly the OC has total control over the offense, much the same way that for Michigan the DC has total control over the defense... I'm sure Carr gives input from time to time, but the majority of the decisions are left to the coordinators. If you want to blame anyone on the offensive side of the ball blame the OC.

IMO I can see why they would go with the a pass heavy offense while playing OSU. They lost three huge pieces of their secondary in recent years to the NFL draft, and their front 7 seems to be playing very well. However, we seemed to be able to move the ball on the ground against them... For that reason I think we should have abandonded the game plan and went with more runs. Still, I believe those are more the OC's decisions than they are the HC's, however.

You may be right about the OC. I'm not sure.

What I am sure about is:

1-5 record vs. Jim Tressle.

John Cooper had an outstanding won/loss record at OSU.
But, he was fired because he just could not beat Michigan (Lloyd Carr).

Well, I think it's our turn to fire a coach with an outstanding win/loss record because he just can't beat OSU (Jim Tressle).

While Lloyd Carr is 1-5 against JT... Our new OC is 0 and 1... If Lloyd was doing something patently wrong, i could understand... It was probably his decision to go for one near the end of the game... Didn't matter in the end, but if you want to call out "mistakes" like that (I quote "mistakes" because they only seem to be mistakes when they don't work), then I could see it... But we've been consistently good under Carr. We've had very few "hic-ups" under him, and consistency in NCAA football is a good thing for recruiting, ext....

I don't think it would do this team good to get rid of Carr, esp. at this point...

Firing Cooper and hiring Tressle sure hurt OSU's recruiting. Just being good is not good enough. Close doesn't cut it. If it did, we wouldn't be any better than MSU. I would argue that other than 1997 ( with Gary Mohlers players) Carr has has constant hic-ups. His recent bowl record is another testament to a bad case of the hic-ups. The game has passed Carr by at the highest levels.

November 20th, 2006, 1:39 pm
Stadium Announcer

Firing Cooper and hiring Tressle sure hurt OSU's recruiting. Just being good is not good enough. Close doesn't cut it. If it did, we wouldn't be any better than MSU. I would argue that other than 1997 ( with Gary Mohlers players) Carr has has constant hic-ups. His recent bowl record is another testament to a bad case of the hic-ups. The game has passed Carr by at the highest levels.

That only hurt Cooper's recruiting because Cooper was an EXCELLENT Recruiter! Tressel recruited Every 5th year Senior and below on this team. You can say Tressel's first NC was because of Cooper's players, but not if they win this one.

November 20th, 2006, 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4