View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently October 1st, 2014, 6:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Top 25??? 
NFL Team Captain

Post Top 25???
The new AP Top 25 was just released and imagine my surprise when Michigan was nowhere to be found.

How far did they drop? Can they make it back or are they really that bad.

Do you think all of the writers that changed their collective minds would be willing to go public, and admit that they were that far off on the Wolverines?

September 5th, 2007, 8:10 am
Heisman Winner

Post Re: Top 25???
jomo269 wrote:
The new AP Top 25 was just released and imagine my surprise when Michigan was nowhere to be found.

How far did they drop? Can they make it back or are they really that bad.

Do you think all of the writers that changed their collective minds would be willing to go public, and admit that they were that far off on the Wolverines?

Why should the writers have to be the ones who take the heat from this? It was Michigan who didn't live up to their protential not the writers building them up. I thought they where ranked too high to begin with but I still expected them to be up on App state. I think the top out of the top 25 is well warrented. Let's not forget that they dropped out of the coaches poll too.

September 5th, 2007, 10:55 am
RIP Killer

They were in the 30's for the AP and 27 in the USA Today. They are not listedon any ESPN ranking at all.

And that is exactly where they deserve to be after losing to a 1-AA team. Why/How could you rate them above a team that won a game against a 1-A team?

September 5th, 2007, 10:58 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

They were in the 30's for the AP and 27 in the USA Today. They are not listedon any ESPN ranking at all.

And that is exactly where they deserve to be after losing to a 1-AA team. Why/How could you rate them above a team that won a game against a 1-A team?

To be fair, App State is a lot better than some 1A teams....

September 5th, 2007, 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

You are absolutely right, Steensn, and I completely agree. It was the perfect storm w/ UM being overrated after losing all that they did on defense AND overlooking an opponent they took for granted as an easy win. UM does not deserve to be anywhere in the top 25, even though they still have top 25 talent easy.

It's a bad time to be a Wolverine's fan :(

Tim

September 5th, 2007, 11:29 am
Heisman Winner

steensn wrote:

To be fair, App State is a lot better than some 1A teams....

I've decided to ignore this argument all together. UofM nor any other Big 10 team should never lose to a 1A team even if they are the best of that division. It's a lesser division for a reason.

September 5th, 2007, 11:48 am
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I'm not excusing it, but App State is an excellent team, not BCS good by any stretch of the imagination, but they are much better than people, including myself, thought they were before the game.

September 5th, 2007, 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

I dont at all want to discredit App State's abilities. They have a heck of a football team. But a ranked 1-A team should NEVER fall to the best 1-AA of all time. If Michigan put a scholarship out there to any one of the App state players coming out of high school, there would be no contest. App State has no chance in getting players that the big 1-A teams can get. They can beat out lower 1-A teams, but not ranked 1-A teams.

It is really a discrace to the Big Ten, in all regards. App state played with heart, with fire, with competence. Mich did none of those and that is why they lost. With considerably BETTER players, Mich lost.

September 5th, 2007, 1:15 pm
Hall of Fame Player

So, what if UofM goes on and wins out. Does that make MSU and OSU even worse than UofM.

Not saying that will happen. Just what if. All the ridicule you have piled on UofM will then be in your lap.

September 5th, 2007, 4:38 pm
RIP Killer

I wouldn't say my Spartans will beat Michigan this year, they probably won't. But then whenever Michigan fans get to tearing apart my beloved Spartans I have my comback ready...

"Two words - Appalachian State"

Imagine what Michigan fans would say if MSU was ranked #1 in their NCAA BBall region and became the first #1 to ever lose to a #16 ranked team. It wouldn't have mattered if State beat Michigan twice during the season, Wolverine fans would call them chokers and much worse I'm sure.

So even if Michigan wins out and beats MSU along the way, "Two words - Appalachian State" will be my response with a huge grin on my face when I'm saying it. In fact, this will probably be my response for years to come so get used to it. And truth be told, Michigan is my 2nd favorite college team, well maybe third now after the two "States"...

September 5th, 2007, 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

So, what if UofM goes on and wins out. Does that make MSU and OSU even worse than UofM.

Not saying that will happen. Just what if. All the ridicule you have piled on UofM will then be in your lap.

UofM is by far a better football team than App State. But the reason we play the game is because you have to do it on the feild. I wouldnt be surprised at all if Mich. wins out. App state made Henne look like a second rate QB. The same Henne who made some pretty good defenses look sorry.

Mich wasn't ready for App State. That was their mistake. Not that Mich is worse than App State, it's that they were not ready for them.

September 5th, 2007, 5:54 pm
Modmin Dude

Bottom line, Michigan need to fire Carr ASAP and get a real head coach!

September 6th, 2007, 9:06 am
Site Admin

Michigan was ill-prepared and suffered a humiliating loss. We cannot cling to a national championship shared from 1997. UofM has had some incredible teams that never seem to live up to their potential. They should be a BCS threat year in and year out but they chose tradition over change. Tradition is great if you love being 2nd best in the Big 10. But look at OSU...John Cooper had a really nice career but in the end his inability to get over on UofM did him in. OSU changed and look at what they've accomplished. It's time for UofM to let go of their coggity thinking.

September 6th, 2007, 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Play by Play Announcer - Al Michaels

Michigan was ill-prepared and suffered a humiliating loss. We cannot cling to a national championship shared from 1997. UofM has had some incredible teams that never seem to live up to their potential. They should be a BCS threat year in and year out but they chose tradition over change. Tradition is great if you love being 2nd best in the Big 10. But look at OSU...John Cooper had a really nice career but in the end his inability to get over on UofM did him in. OSU changed and look at what they've accomplished. It's time for UofM to let go of their coggity thinking.

Completely agree, Alpha. Although the reality is that UM will NEVER fire Carr, unless he goes and does something like drive thru Wendy's drunk and naked.

That being said, I'm fairly certain the Carr will step aside for the betterment of the UM tradition at the end of the season. At least, that is what I hope happens.......

Tim

September 6th, 2007, 10:59 am
Site Admin

The issue then is what do they do? First, Carr may likely take over as AD for Billy Martin and then his replacement will be a UofM retred. UofM has the recruiting power to play with the big boys...if they added innovation to the talent and excitement Michigan could be a player in the BCS every year as much as anyone.

September 6th, 2007, 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next