View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 17th, 2014, 11:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Impact of Bo's passing 
Head Cheerleader

Post Impact of Bo's passing
Here is a question that I have been pondering since the announcement of Bo's passing.

What impact does it have on the team in the long term?

For example, Carr has been pretty much owned by Tressel the last few years. There have been complaints that they need to get rid of Carr and get somebody in that will change things so that Michigan can defeat OSU. When Bo was alive, he was asked about the possibility of such a change and Bo basically said that Carr isn't going anywhere as long as Bo had a say in it. And I would venture to say that Bo had a pretty strong voice on what went on in Ann Arbor even though he was retired.

Now, however, Bo's voice isn't there anymore. I realize Carr has a 11-1 record right now. But you may recall that Cooper put together some nice runs for OSU but couldn't beat Michigan. So OSU dumped him and got Tressel.

Will Michigan do the same thing?

Another example, QBs. Just about everybody in football, both collegiate and professional have gone to mobile QBs, yet Michigan hasn't. I believe the reason is because Michigan still wants to hold to Bo's 3 yards and a cloud of dust as much as possible.

Does that change now?

I was just wondering if anybody has any opinions on what they think Bo being gone will mean?

November 21st, 2006, 2:25 pm
From everything I have heard regarding Carr and U of M... If Carr "does his job right"... meaning he doesn't cheat and doesn't get caught with his pants off in Wendy's drive through, or drunk driving, he's safe...

I couldn't disagree more about switching to a mobile Qb. I don't see "everyone doing it." In fact... IMO the opposite is true.. only a few teams have true mobile Qb's... Troy Smith is one of the most mobile Qb's in the Big 10, and he's trying to get away from his running game. It seems almost like a curse anymore... Teams that had mobile Qbs seemed to have forgotten how to pass, or had Qb's that couldn't do both run and pass well.

Henne runs a little bit here and there... Navarre was a tree stump... Henson was probably the most mobile U of M Qb in the modern era... I don't really expect anything more than the level of mobility we're used to. It's a plus, but not something we seek... We do have a mobile Qb on the roster though.. I can't remember his name, but I've seen him play. In that respect we might see a mobile Qb in our near future, but I don't think we're going to start seeking out that type of player.

In regards to Bo's voice being gone... IMO it isn't going to change anything. MI is a strong institution with a TON of culture. The culture, values, and ways of MI were and are ingrained much deeper than Bo... It's the athletic director, the coach, and their "way of doing things." I really don't think the passing of Bo effects Carr's future, the mobility of our Qbs, or any other aspect of MI football.

November 21st, 2006, 2:50 pm
National Champion

From everything I have heard regarding Carr and U of M... If Carr "does his job right"... meaning he doesn't cheat and doesn't get caught with his pants off in Wendy's drive through, or drunk driving, he's safe...

I couldn't disagree more about switching to a mobile Qb. I don't see "everyone doing it." In fact... IMO the opposite is true.. only a few teams have true mobile Qb's... Troy Smith is one of the most mobile Qb's in the Big 10, and he's trying to get away from his running game. It seems almost like a curse anymore... Teams that had mobile Qbs seemed to have forgotten how to pass, or had Qb's that couldn't do both run and pass well.

Henne runs a little bit here and there... Navarre was a tree stump... Henson was probably the most mobile U of M Qb in the modern era... I don't really expect anything more than the level of mobility we're used to. It's a plus, but not something we seek... We do have a mobile Qb on the roster though.. I can't remember his name, but I've seen him play. In that respect we might see a mobile Qb in our near future, but I don't think we're going to start seeking out that type of player.

In regards to Bo's voice being gone... IMO it isn't going to change anything. MI is a strong institution with a TON of culture. The culture, values, and ways of MI were and are ingrained much deeper than Bo... It's the athletic director, the coach, and their "way of doing things." I really don't think the passing of Bo effects Carr's future, the mobility of our Qbs, or any other aspect of MI football.

The wolverines are 0-4 since Bo passed. Did the Life get sucked out of Carr and the team? Is it possible. It may be Time for a new coach and a clean break from Bo and his former staff of coach's.

September 8th, 2007, 11:29 pm
Commissioner of the NFL – Roger Goodell

September 9th, 2007, 8:13 am
RIP Killer

Instead of looking for excuses, like Bo's passing (that OSU game could have gone either way), why not just accept the fact that Michigan just might not be that good.

Now here is some good news, as Bad as Michigan is - Notre Dame might be even worse. The curse of Brady Quinn?

BIG 10 STANDINGS:

Michigan State 2-0
Northwestern 2-0
Ohio State 2-0
Penn State 2-0
Purdue 2-0
Indiana 2-0
Iowa 2-0
Wisconsin 2-0
Illinois 1-1
Minnesota 1-1
Michigan 0-2

September 9th, 2007, 9:15 am
Profile WWW
QB Coach

Michigan State 2-0
Northwestern 2-0
Ohio State 2-0
Penn State 2-0
Purdue 2-0
Indiana 2-0
Iowa 2-0
Wisconsin 2-0
Illinois 1-1
Minnesota 1-1
Michigan 0-2

Lets list it in alphabetical order, not biased order.

Indiana 2-0
Iowa 2-0
Michigan State 2-0
Northwestern 2-0
Ohio State 2-0
Penn State 2-0
Purdue 2-0
Wisconsin 2-0
Illinois 1-1
Minnesota 1-1
Michigan 0-2

There, that looks a lot better! :idea:

September 9th, 2007, 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Bo's passing has NOTHING to do with Mich current state. Bo had no impact on Mich in any recent years...

September 10th, 2007, 11:03 am
Site Admin

Quote:
Michigan State 2-0
Northwestern 2-0
Ohio State 2-0
Penn State 2-0
Purdue 2-0
Indiana 2-0
Iowa 2-0
Wisconsin 2-0
Illinois 1-1
Minnesota 1-1
Michigan 0-2

Lets list it in alphabetical order, not biased order.

Indiana 2-0
Iowa 2-0
Michigan State 2-0
Northwestern 2-0
Ohio State 2-0
Penn State 2-0
Purdue 2-0
Wisconsin 2-0
Illinois 1-1
Minnesota 1-1
Michigan 0-2

There, that looks a lot better! :idea:

Look what the cat dragged in :wink:

Hey Brian!

September 10th, 2007, 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
Fired Head Coach (0-16 record)

I am done watching this team play for the year.. I MIGHT watch the Ohio State game but I wouldn't count on it.

NEVER GIVE UP!

September 10th, 2007, 12:47 pm
Bo's passing has NOTHING to do with Mich current state. Bo had no impact on Mich in any recent years...

That's not true at all... If you know anything about his position with the school after his coaching tenure right up until his unexpected passing you'd know how ridiculously false this statement is...

September 10th, 2007, 2:18 pm
Instead of looking for excuses, like Bo's passing (that OSU game could have gone either way), why not just accept the fact that Michigan just might not be that good.

I am more in line with this sort of thinking... But rather than say "they're not that good" I would substitute that phrase with Michighan just might be that unprepared"... You can argue that it is one in the same, but I read your statement as if MI doesn't have talented football players, which I dont' think is true. IMO MI has talented football players (they generally have a top 10 recruiting class every year), but Carr has them underprepared at the beginning of EVERY SEASON... Watching U of M football in recent years shows terrible performances at the beginning of the season and against lesser competition... They seem to look ahead and forget the basics when they play crappy teams, and they don't prepare week to week. IMO that is a mistake. I look at a team like Louville that comes out, looks crisp in week one, and put up 72 points, and then I look at a team like U of M, that can't even block for their field goal kicker... That is just a lack of preparation, plain and simple IMO...

September 10th, 2007, 2:23 pm
RIP Killer

steensn wrote:

That's not true at all... If you know anything about his position with the school after his coaching tenure right up until his unexpected passing you'd know how ridiculously false this statement is...

Basically what you are saying is that Mich would have beaten OSU, won their bowl game, beat App State, and not got CRUSHED by Oregon if BO was alive.

September 10th, 2007, 2:59 pm
wjb21ndtown wrote:
steensn wrote:

Basically what you are saying is that Mich would have beaten OSU, won their bowl game, beat App State, and not got CRUSHED by Oregon if BO was alive.

Uhmmm, no. I think you've been spending a little too much time with Guild and Ill in the off-topic forum. ALL I'm saying is what I wrote... that Bo had a HUGE impact on U of M sports even after his coaching tenure.

September 10th, 2007, 3:17 pm
Site Admin

I could be wrong but I don't think that's what wjb is saying...he is talking about Bo's influence as to the WAY the school ran the program and the coaches that were used to fill the coordinator and HC spots. Michigan is steeped in a proud tradition...and sometimes pride will be your downfall. Bo was/is a huge part of that proud tradition.

September 10th, 2007, 3:18 pm
Profile WWW
RIP Killer

Well, then I was mistaken. If that is what you ment then I def. read it wrong.

September 10th, 2007, 6:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]